[KERNEL] M-Kernel [MOVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Jay Aristide

Jun 27, 2011
Dyer, Tennessee
www.daede.com
So, any chance of a proper 4.1.2 ramdisk for cm10 users? Or can I use the stock + init.d one with cm10?
Right now, I have it scripted to remount /data and /cache, but I don't know what else I'm missing out on..
Also the download links for the stock kernels with and without ramdisk don't work

Reactions: Draino

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
So, any chance of a proper 4.1.2 ramdisk for cm10 users? Or can I use the stock + init.d one with cm10?
Right now, I have it scripted to remount /data and /cache, but I don't know what else I'm missing out on..
Also the download links for the stock kernels with and without ramdisk don't work

No it won't work because cm10 uses their own custom ramdisk. I could look into making one for cm10 some time later. You should be alright with scripted remount of data and cache for now. Who knows when CM10 will decide to actually update it.

Jay Aristide

Jun 27, 2011
Dyer, Tennessee
www.daede.com
No it won't work because cm10 uses their own custom ramdisk. I could look into making one for cm10 some time later. You should be alright with scripted remount of data and cache for now. Who knows when CM10 will decide to actually update it.

Well, then. Been running the 484MHz OC'd GPU version for three days. Absolutely rocks, man! Can't wait for MK+

Time to update my threads

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Switching to 446 GPU, now. Could use the boost on THD, but don't otherwise need a boost :)

Reactions: Metallice

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Thanks OP for continuing Motley work. His kernel always been my go to one. I test other kernels out but always came back to Motleys. Loved his work on Prime also.

Not sure what happened to Motley but looking forward to his return.

Also looking forward to M version. To see what kind of tweaks OP merges with motleys. Should be interesting.

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
Thanks OP for continuing Motley work. His kernel always been my go to one. I test other kernels out but always came back to Motleys. Loved his work on Prime also.

Not sure what happened to Motley but looking forward to his return.

Also looking forward to M version. To see what kind of tweaks OP merges with motleys. Should be interesting.

Yep. Motley was always my steady base when trying out other kernels and building my own.

------------------------------------

Also I wouldn't call it the "M" version. M-Kernel is just shortened from Motley-Kernel, but doing this also lets it represent Metallice :) (pronounced like metallic with an "s" instead of a hard c BTW). Plus I think it sounds cooler :cool:.

I would stick to calling it M-Kernel, M-Kernel Plus, M-Kernel +, or the plus version. Calling it the M version makes no sense!

Last edited:

Jay Aristide

Jun 27, 2011
Dyer, Tennessee
www.daede.com
Can this be used on PA2.2? (Cm10 based)

Beamed from my Paranoid Google Nexus 7

Yes, but you need to remount /data and /cache yourself via init.d

Go to /data/local and create userinit.d if it's not there already and chmod it 0755

Put a file in there called 85remounts and chmod it 0755

Populate it as follows:

Code:
#/system/bin/sh

mount -o remount,discard /data /data
mount -o remount,discard /cache /cache

Make sure to leave a trailing blank line in the script.

This will remount /data and /cache with discard

Reactions: sert00

tobitronics

Jan 20, 2011
Yes, but you need to remount /data and /cache yourself via init.d

Go to /data/local and create userinit.d if it's not there already and chmod it 0755

Put a file in there called 85remounts and chmod it 0755

Populate it as follows:

Code:
#/system/bin/sh

mount -o remount,discard /data /data
mount -o remount,discard /cache /cache

Make sure to leave a trailing blank line in the script.

This will remount /data and /cache with discard

Thanks. Can I also use your butter recipe in combination with this init.d file?

Beamed from my Paranoid Google Nexus 7

atlharp

Jan 21, 2012
Newton
OnePlus 7T
This kernel DOES NOT work with the latest Codename Android 3.7.0. I loaded it up and didn't get past the boatloader unlock screen. Motley is top notch and I hope CNA get up to speed in the future. Thanks for your work. :)

rootbrain

Jan 30, 2012
Benchmarrks, such as they are, don't seem as good with the 484 GPU. Will let it settle a bit and see what happens. Everything else is working perfectly, so maybe I'm expecting something that isn't meant to be.

christianpeso

Sep 20, 2007
This kernel DOES NOT work with the latest Codename Android 3.7.0. I loaded it up and didn't get past the boatloader unlock screen. Motley is top notch and I hope CNA get up to speed in the future. Thanks for your work. :)
This. Also tried it with the latest AOKP nightly compiled by Dizzythermal and all it does is continuously show the boot animation. Haven't been able to get any 4.1.2 kernel working on a custom ROM. At least not on CNA 3.7.0 or AOKP.

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
This. Also tried it with the latest AOKP nightly compiled by Dizzythermal and all it does is continuously show the boot animation. Haven't been able to get any 4.1.2 kernel working on a custom ROM. At least not on CNA 3.7.0 or AOKP.

Did you follow the steps under "before you flash" and can confirm that both rom and ramdisk are 4.1.2?

Benchmarrks, such as they are, don't seem as good with the 484 GPU. Will let it settle a bit and see what happens. Everything else is working perfectly, so maybe I'm expecting something that isn't meant to be.

Are you saying benchmarks on the 484 build are lower than the 416 build? or what?

TRIM is only applicable on the 16gb version of this device, correct?

Yes. As of 4.1.2 if you don't have the specific storage chip that needs trim the command to enable it will be ignored.

Reactions: smt8544

christianpeso

Sep 20, 2007
Thats the thing about it.Didnt check. Since I was running AOKP I decided to just flash the stock 4.1.2 kernel u posted. That one does not boot on aokp either.So stock 4.1.2 and your modifeid Motley kernel both do not work for me.

On 3.41 bootloader as well.

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
Thats the thing about it.Didnt check. Since I was running AOKP I decided to just flash the stock 4.1.2 kernel u posted. That one does not boot on aokp either.So stock 4.1.2 and your modifeid Motley kernel both do not work for me.

On 3.41 bootloader as well.

As explained in the OP, the stock kernel I posted will only boot on the stock ROM. Seriously one line above the download link it says not to flash with CM10, AOKP, etc.

Did you flash my kernel after you tried to boot up the stock kernel on AOKP? Or did you reflash AOKP before?

Last edited:

christianpeso

Sep 20, 2007
As explained in the OP, the stock kernel I posted will only boot on the stock ROM. Seriously one line above the download link it says not to flash with CM10, AOKP, etc.

Did you flash my kernel after you tried to boot up the stock kernel on AOKP? Or did you reflash AOKP before trying my kernel?

"If you are on a stock-like 4.1.2 ROM that does not rely on a modified ramdisk (CM10, AOKP, etc.), flash one of the following zips and reboot before installing this kernel for the first time.
Stock 4.1.2 kernel - http://goo.im/devs/Metallice/Nexus7/...rnel_4.1.2.zip
Stock 4.1.2 kernel with Init.d support and insecure adb thanks to Faux123 - http://goo.im/devs/Metallice/Nexus7/...nitD_4.1.2.zip"

Maybe it is a language barrier, but your statement reads to me as in if you are running AOKP or CM10,u NEED TO flash one of the stock kernels and reboot before u flash your modified version. That is what I did. Flashed one of the stock kernels u linked and that did not boot up. Flashed your modified one to see if that would boot, and that didnt either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How would you guys feel about me closing this thread and starting a new one in Android Original Development? It technically belongs there anyway, and I wouldn't mind reserving a couple more posts in the beginning for a FAQ and other stuff. Hopefully to stop any more "Why is my min stuck at 340MHz?!?" and others like it :)
    Working on a new OP for mr1... Finally got a simplified feature list/changelog... Need to clean it up some haha.

Probably forgot a lot of things too.

Basic feature list -

• based on latest google aosp tegra kernel source mr1.1 for android 4.2.2
    • optimized compiler flags
    • Latest linaro 2013 gcc toolchain
    • Dynamic EDP - enable edp cpu maximum frequency limits only above a certain temperature (motley)
    • CPU over clock up to 1.7GHz
    • GPU over clock up to 700MHz
    • Custom user voltage control for CPU and Core components such as EMC, GPU, and LP (faux123)
    • Default CPU voltages set to ID 3 levels
    • CIFS, NFS, NTFS, HFS, ZRAM, and more built in.
    • Runnable threads hot plugging
    • FSync control (Ezekeel)
    • Glibc memcpy and memmove
    • User configurable Wifi power management mode (PMFAST/PMMAX)
    • Deadline improvements for solid state drives
    • LP core overclock to 666MHz
    • Force high current charging over pc USB (imoseyon)
    • Proportional Rate Reduction for TCP
    • Fixed current_now property for current viewing apps
    • Optimized SLUB and use SLUB by default instead of SLAB
    • Tegra 3 variant display (faux123)
    • Faster LP -> G transitioning
    • Optimized swahb32 byteswap helper
    • Asynchronous I/O latency improved through removal of plug in do_io_submit()
    • Tweaked CFS parameters
    • Optimized ARM RWSEM algorithm
    • Block: recursive merge requests
    • timer: optimize aplpy_slack()
    • Disabled GENTLE_FAIR_SLEEPERS to improve performance
    • Balanced EDP frequency limits to be same across all cores
    • LowMemoryKiller asynchronous compaction and compaction when killing processes
    • allow use of a controller native max block size
    • optimized crypto algorythms
    • Optimized AES and SHA1 routines
    • Better hot plugging delays
    • Increase boost_up_threshold for AVP clock
    • kexec-hardboot support for multirom
    • minimum cpu performance loch for audio playback (faux123) with additional fixes
    • decreased minimum backlight level for better low light viewing
    • switch do_fsync() to fget_light()
    • Added latest BFQ I/O scheduler
    • Fix crash when unplugging OTG devices (intersectRaven)
    • Added Tegra high performance AHB memory driver with additional fixes and improvements
    • Input: Send one packet at a time
    • support for ROM built-in OTG support
    • Added latest ROW scheduler with additional patches and improvements
    • Set Core voltage to 0.95V in Low Power mode 1 for significant semi-idle battery savings
    • TCP congestion control with Westwood+ set as default
    • Disabled speaker dynamic range compression for improved speaker audio quality
    • Lock performance governor to all 4 cores
    • Many LowMemoryKiller fixes and improvements
    • Many, many scheduler improvements and optimizations
    • A million other patches, fixes, and improvements that I don't have the time or space to list
    Now, on to my status with this -
    As a quick fix, I will revert this patch for the next build. This should hopefully solve all issues with a33 including, but not limited to, SODs, reboots, and increased battery drain in LP1 (too little voltage, but not little enough to cause freezes/reboots, has been shown to actually cause increased battery drain as compensation).

Unfortunately I haven't been able to whip up a quick fix for a couple reasons.

For one, I have other responsibilities. I had a Physics midterm early today and had to spend time reviewing and studying. Also, my father purchased a new HDTV (very nice one, super jealous) and I had to help him go pick it up and transport it, unpack it, remove the old, gigantic, heavy as f---, rear projection DLP HDTV, set up/secure/mount the new one, situate all the cables with the FIOS box/DVD/AV receiver/Surround sound, reprogram the universal remote, set up the new smart tv capabilities with the internet and their internet video services, update the TV software, set up the 3d and 3d glasses, and teach them all how to use the new stuff.

Second, my computer broke. The graphics card started acting up, kept getting messages about it failing and successfully restarting until it no longer would successfully restart. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers and the whole kitchen sink, but the card was dead and there was no way around it. Aren't laptops with their all-fused components wonderful :rolleyes:? To be honest four years is a decent run for a cheap 4-yo HP. Anyway, I need a computer for school so I got a new one as an early birthday present.

So I have a new computer now. First of all it's a macbook so I'm going to have to learn how to use OSX for one thing and get everything set up, and I'm going to have to re-make my kernel build environment from scratch which will take some time.

So hang tight please!