Post Reply

Master Thread for Radio/GSM Unlocking Discussion in America

OP terinfire

15th October 2012, 02:05 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 136
 
278 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
At present, we have topics every few weeks or so with someone new, coming to ask if GSM works in America. Then, someone wants to help and try to figure out why -- but there is no consistent thread for this. So let's use this.

Does the Droid 4 work in the US on GSM yet? NO

This is to be used as a master thread to post research/thoughts/findings. If anyone has any clever thoughts, please search the thread first to make sure it hasn't been found yet.

What we do know is that with OTA ICS from Verizon, the Droid 4 supports GSM for *OTHER* carriers outside of the US. There could be any number of reasons that it does NOT work. As a quick run-down of the problem, I'll identify where the primary issues could be and allow for anyone else to build upon it, ask questions, and discuss.

The Radio Firmware
-- The firmware for the radio itself could have a lock or a setting that needs to be adjusted and all data requests are blocked through this.

RIL
-- The interface between the radio and Android -- there could be a software lock here that restricts specific carrier ID's.

ROM
-- The ROM itself has a baked-in block for GSM in America.

The best thing we can do is to try and identify or step through the stack (if such is possible -- I'm a developer, but not for Android) and see WHERE the calls break at.

--If it is a software lock in the ROM, then aftermarket ROM's like CyanogenMod should allow data to work in the US. If we're not seeing this, then this is likely not the case.
--If it is a software lock in the RIL library, then we'd have to have a reverse-engineered library (which could be very difficult to do). We should be getting some kind of error somewhere in here. At this point, though, it's hard to tell if the Radio Firmware or RIL is the actual problem.

Anyone with any background on this, please feel free to contribute. correct, and update. I'll try to get back here and update this master page as I see responses further in the thread.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to terinfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th October 2012, 12:03 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 239
 
889 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
Donate to Me
More
Can we try to load up a deodexed rom and replace the ril file with, let's say one from XT910 in canada?

Sent from my XT894 running ICS
20th October 2012, 02:23 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
133 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
I assume this is just a GSM radio, without HSPA+, but does anyone know the frequencies it uses?
21st October 2012, 05:04 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 239
 
889 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
Donate to Me
More
I just finished comparing a Droid RAZR XT912 to a Rogers RAZR XT910, I checked the /system/lib folder and build.prop files.

I found some really interesting differences, and also found that most of the important build.prop differences between the Rogers XT910 and Verizon XT912 were also consistent with the D4.

lines like:

persist.ril.modem.mode = (1 = CDMA, 2= UMTS)
persist.ril.mux.noofchannels = (10 on Rogers, 8 on VZW)
persist.radio.ap.phonetype = (1 = GSM, 2= CDMA)

and my favourite line

persist.ril.features = (0x182 = Rogers, 0x90A = Verizon)

I also found something only in Rogers build.prop:
ro.tether.denied=false

What's also interesting, is that most of the files in the /lib folder is consistent between the D4 and the RAZR, I have also included this report in the attached ZIP file.

Maybe this in combination with some files from the /lib folder might help. Either way, I've included my comparisons in the attached ZIP.

Does anybody want to just try changing the persist.ril.features in the US and see what happens??

Let's get US bands unlocked soon!!!

In my comparissions,

D:\ = XT894
G:\ = XT912
H:\ = XT910
Attached Files
File Type: zip Comparissions.zip - [Click for QR Code] (21.3 KB, 458 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danifunker For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st October 2012, 08:08 PM   |  #5  
Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 5
 
33 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
More
I saw these and a couple other changes comparing the D4 file to the bionic GSM-working ICS leak build.prop. Unfortnately I'm studying for a GRE exam I have tomorrow but will try to give these changes a try when I take a break and if not, definitely by the end of tomorrow. I'm starting to have faith we'll find something. I don't think Verzion did anything that low-level to implement this US carrier block.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to blackstar1744 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st October 2012, 08:51 PM   |  #6  
gtmaster303's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 406
 
1,445 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstar1744

I saw these and a couple other changes comparing the D4 file to the bionic GSM-working ICS leak build.prop. Unfortnately I'm studying for a GRE exam I have tomorrow but will try to give these changes a try when I take a break and if not, definitely by the end of tomorrow. I'm starting to have faith we'll find something. I don't think Verzion did anything that low-level to implement this US carrier block.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk

School first, xda second. Good luck on your GRE!

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by gtmaster303; 21st October 2012 at 08:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd October 2012, 08:00 AM   |  #7  
Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 5
 
33 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
More
Trying to get Radiocomm to recognize my phone but my phone keeps switching to mass storage mode even with Android debugging and mock location enabled. Was in Hashcode's AOKP and went back to the stock ROM and now I can stay in Media Device (MTP) but still don't have the appropriate Windows x64 driver. I'm currently running the attached file which I came across at some point in the Android Development forum in my earlier research into this whole domestic GSM issue. Does anyone else have another x64 driver?

The motivation for my question: Yesterday ariethekid claimed to get T-Mobile working on his Droid Bionic running Verizon's official ICS 246 release so the steps on this page *should* work - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...297714&page=13 along with the appropriate build.prop modifications. The bionic build.prop I attached includes the necessary changes. They would have to be included migrated to the D4 build.prop and I would/will eventually do it but I'm just not that far along yet given my Radiocomm issues.

Update: The OTA ICS updates already includes this 8 byte revision. I believe the only thing that needs to be done is the update of the build.prop.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bionic_build.prop.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.2 KB, 265 views)
File Type: zip USB_Drivers_64_bit_4.6.0.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.14 MB, 108 views)
Last edited by blackstar1744; 23rd October 2012 at 08:48 AM.
23rd October 2012, 01:59 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 239
 
889 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstar1744

Trying to get Radiocomm to recognize my phone but my phone keeps switching to mass storage mode even with Android debugging and mock location enabled. Was in Hashcode's AOKP and went back to the stock ROM and now I can stay in Media Device (MTP) but still don't have the appropriate Windows x64 driver. I'm currently running the attached file which I came across at some point in the Android Development forum in my earlier research into this whole domestic GSM issue. Does anyone else have another x64 driver?

The motivation for my question: Yesterday ariethekid claimed to get T-Mobile working on his Droid Bionic running Verizon's official ICS 246 release so the steps on this page *should* work - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...297714&page=13 along with the appropriate build.prop modifications. The bionic build.prop I attached includes the necessary changes. They would have to be included migrated to the D4 build.prop and I would/will eventually do it but I'm just not that far along yet given my Radiocomm issues.

Update: The OTA ICS updates already includes this 8 byte revision. I believe the only thing that needs to be done is the update of the build.prop.

In order to get the RadioComm interface, make sure you're using the latest Motorola Mobile Phone Drivers (these are different than the android drivers), they are version 5.9 as of right now. Please download them from here :

https://developer.motorola.com/tools/usb_drivers/

Looks like the Motorola site is down though, so you can download them from here :

http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/Dr...it-38124.shtml
The Following User Says Thank You to danifunker For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th October 2012, 08:21 PM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
133 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=33230579

this was just posted, has all NV lines together, maybe we can figure it out in here!
The Following User Says Thank You to dewhashish For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th October 2012, 12:23 AM   |  #10  
Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 5
 
33 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewhashish

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=33230579

this was just posted, has all NV lines together, maybe we can figure it out in here!

Just a thought. Perhaps these values could be checked against a Bionic?

4869^"GSM Carrier Suppression"^"GSM*"
4870^"GSM 850 Carrier Suppression"^"GSM*"
4871^"GSM DCS Carrier Suppression"^"GSM*"
4872^"GSM 1900 Carrier Suppression"^"GSM*"

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
radio gsm america 3g
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes