5,599,394 Members 37,898 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] I thought Android was supposed to be opensource?

Tip us?

derrend
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] I thought Android was supposed to be opensource?

I've been trying to locate the official android rom for the galaxy ace two for about 7 hours now and it simplyu isn't ******* available anywhere, what's opensource about that?

I downloaded "supposedly" a rom from samfirmware, unzipped it gives me a file called 'I8160NELG2_I8160H3GLG1_HOME.tar.md5'
Fantastic, what am i supposed to do with this?

I'm sorry for the attitude but i'm really at the end of my rope with this garbage, i been starimg at this dam screen ALLLLLLL DAYYYYYYYY ;(

kvantum
Old
Thanks Meter 8
tar.md5 = remove .md5 and you got a tar archive
However, that won't help you, because it contains mostly binaries

I think you're missing the point of how open source works. The OS itself may be open source. Anyone can distribute it, and they can even charge for it. If they modify an open source program - they have to release the source. However. They can write additional programs, such as TouchWiz, or hardware drivers, make them closed source, and distribute them bundled with open source OS. As long as the program is not a derivative of a GPL program, they are free to make it closed source.

TL;DR Base OS is open source. Builds that are customized for specific hardware don't have to be, and seldom are

an0nym0us_
Old
Thanks Meter 3481
<facepalm.jpg/>

What does opensource had to do with the fact that u dont know what your're doing?
The .tar.md5 is the official rom for your phone. flash it via odin :banghead: