[11-26][TH4NX-4-FI$H!] Tablet UI for CM10

Search This thread

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
So Long...

Update 3/22: Autopatcher is updated for CM10.1 and should be working for all devices. Check our dedicated TabletUI thread maintained by Caldair.

I was about to post this in the CM10 user thread, but figured I would give it it's own thread to make it easy to find.

I have seen a couple people request combined bars and/or tabletUI for the CM10 build. You can get true tabletUI by using my tool the auto-patcher. It is linked in my sig and runs on Linux or OSX terminals and Windows actually has a GUI.

It just outputs a flashable zip that you install directly over the ROM, as well as a restore.zip.

The command in the terminal would look like this (the cm stands for Cyanogen and due to some irregular build.prop entries in the build, it is required:
Code:
./auto_patcher cm-fullofbugsETC.zip tabletUI cm

The attachments from this thread have been taken down as they were for the beta builds. Now that the Nook Color has Official CM10 builds, those zips no longer apply (Thanks to our encore CM10 team!)

If you want tabletUI on a CM10 Official Nightly Build, you have two options that I know of:

1. You can use my tool the Autopatcher to apply tabletUI to any build, for any rom/device that doesn't come with Tablet as stock.
    • Works on Linux, OSX and Windows
    • Windows has a GUI
    • One command outputs a flashable zip.
    • works for emmc and sdcard installs.
    • ./auto_patcher CM10-encore.zip voice (for those of you who want to use the command line)
  2. You can use the ParanoidAndroid build (also nightly!) for the Nook Color- All the work and code from the CM10 kernel and device tree are used in these, so all the benefits are there as well.
    • Allows choice of Tablet, Phablet, Phone or combination thereof.

If someone is regularly making TabletUI zips for the CM10 nightlies and wants to maintain a post in this thread with download links, I can link to it in this space, but you should trust me that it is better just leave it up to individuals. The zips go out of date pretty often, and the Auto-Patcher is easy to use...

Last edited:

k8108

Jun 27, 2010
Since this is all just a little over my head, I for one thank you for the zip!

Edit- tried this out. Love the tablet UI, but it split my wallpaper into 4 sections, didn't like my apex launcher (app drawer came up narrow and took a long time to load) and overall made my nook run very slow and the screen became very unresponsive. I ran the restore and ran the update again, just to be sure. Same problems.

Maybe it's just my nook. I'm interested to see how others fare.

Sent from my NookColor using xda premium

Last edited:

dparrothead1

Mar 13, 2011
Florida
This is really cool and I had gotten use to the tabletUI on my Nexus7.......thanks for posting this!!!!!

@k8108, I am running Nova Launcher....IDK if that makes a difference or not.

Sent from my NookColor using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350672740356.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350672740356.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,484
Last edited:
Reactions: danformer

davidr415

Feb 16, 2011
What happens when the NC is held in portrait direction.. still a tablet interface, or back to the familiar one that comes stock with the alpha build?

dparrothead1

Mar 13, 2011
Florida
What happens when the NC is held in portrait direction.. still a tablet interface, or back to the familiar one that comes stock with the alpha build?

It goes back to portrait mode. The notification bar stays at the bottom. But you still get the cool split screens in the settings menu.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350677173266.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350677173266.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,154
Last edited:

dparrothead1

Mar 13, 2011
Florida
Setting

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350677400473.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350677400473.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,111

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Since this is all just a little over my head, I for one thank you for the zip!

Edit- tried this out. Love the tablet UI, but it split my wallpaper into 4 sections, didn't like my apex launcher (app drawer came up narrow and took a long time to load) and overall made my nook run very slow and the screen became very unresponsive. I ran the restore and ran the update again, just to be sure. Same problems.

Maybe it's just my nook. I'm interested to see how others fare.

I am not one to discount user experience, but these are VERY minor edits. VERY, lol.

Not much here that would impact response time or anything of that nature. You can look at the patches here. Go ahead and ignore the framework-res patch, since it isn't applied as lockscreen rotation is already merged into this build.

As far as I know, you should be okay with most launchers, but I haven't tried Apex. I do know that Nova and Trebuchet work fine.

lollyjay

Jul 26, 2012
Fresno
Still a noob. Sorry but I don't know how to use the zips. Do I run it from an sd?
Edit: duh... answered my own question.

Thanks! I love the tablet UI!

Sent from NC CM10 XDA

Last edited:

stolenmoment

Mar 27, 2011
So, from all of these kudos, I must be doing something wrong. I install it over CM10 alpha, and Trebuchet gets very ill, can't start, and reports closing continually. I pop into settings/apps and clear Trebuchet's data, and it's stable for just a little while as I set up my homescreen again, then dies continuously again.

I reflash the alpha and gapps (because I wasn't paranoid enough download the restore zip first), download the restore zip, flash alpha, gapps, and update all at once, and I get the same behavior. I wiped both caches each time.

I flash restore, and all is well.

Any ideas?

Tablet UI looks perfect, though!

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
So, from all of these kudos, I must be doing something wrong. I install it over CM10 alpha, and Trebuchet gets very ill, can't start, and reports closing continually. I pop into settings/apps and clear Trebuchet's data, and it's stable for just a little while as I set up my homescreen again, then dies continuously again.

I reflash the alpha and gapps (because I wasn't paranoid enough download the restore zip first), download the restore zip, flash alpha, gapps, and update all at once, and I get the same behavior. I wiped both caches each time.

Any ideas?

Hmm...for some reason my subscription to this thread isn't working. I hadn't seen any of the recent comments.

To be honest, I don't know why you are seeing this. Have you been running CM10 for awhile? There is possibly some setting interfering. But I have seen a lot of people use this for a bunch of devices, with almost no problems. Like I said earlier, the actual changes are quite minor. The source code just blocks access to tabletUI at certain settings, and I unblock them. That's it, it is stuff that is already in the code and meant to work.

My recommendation would be to try and install a different launcher and see what happens. If that works, then reinstall Trebuchet from Play or another source and see how that goes.

stolenmoment

Mar 27, 2011
Hmm...for some reason my subscription to this thread isn't working. I hadn't seen any of the recent comments.

To be honest, I don't know why you are seeing this. Have you been running CM10 for awhile?
No, only the alpha.
The source code just blocks access to tabletUI at certain settings, and I unblock them. That's it, it is stuff that is already in the code and meant to work.

My recommendation would be to try and install a different launcher and see what happens. If that works, then reinstall Trebuchet from Play or another source and see how that goes.

I restored ADW from my CM9 Titanium backup and it works just fine. I like it a lot better than Trebuchet, in fact, but I was trying to go with the flow. EDIT: The background scrolls, which Trebuchet never managed to do.

As a test, I cleared ADW's default and tried Trebuchet again, and it fails unless I force stop and delete its data. I'll try adding things to the homescreen when I get time, but work and kids push that back on my list.

I really like having the tablet UI back! I do miss the power widget in the notifications, though. Is there a way to add it?

Last edited:

lorddunlow

Mar 17, 2011
Thanks for this. It was one of only 2 issues I had with the CM10 build (the other is no openGL, so no chrome). Works great, but I can confirm it doesn't play nice with the Apex Launcher app drawer - the icons are zoomed in cutting off the label and side of the icons. It's not big deal for me though, as I rarely use my app drawer, and I can still identify the apps. Just thought I'd report it on this thread as a known issue. No other issues at all.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

dparrothead1

Mar 13, 2011
Florida
IDK how tied in to your Launchers you folks are, but this works great with Nova.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350948652646.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350948652646.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:

cmdralpha

Aug 6, 2012
Tablet UI update.zip constantly crashing - possible solution

Any ideas?

I may have found a solution for your issue of Trebuchet crashing after flashing the tablet UI update.zip file.
I was having the exact same problem as you described it, and it was your post that helped me to fix it on my NC.

This is what I did:

1. Wiped everything
2. Installed CM10 Alpha + GAPPs (I didn't install the tablet UI update.zip yet)

3. REBOOTED-
4 .I bypassed setting up WIFI and my account, and went straight to Settings>Apps> and cleared Trebuchet's data cache.

5. REBOOTED into Recovery, and flashed the tablet UI update.zip file, and cleared caches once more for good measure.

After Android booted, I got a single FC from 'Google', not Trebuchet.
6. Went straight back to >SettingsApps> and cleared Trebuchet's cache one last time, and rebooted one last time.

My Nook is now running the tablet UI, and is stable. It may be that one or two of the steps I took were superfluous, but it working for me now.

You helped, because I was unaware that Trebuchet had a data cache that could be cleared by the user- something you pointed out.
I'd really like to know if this works for you because this is my very first forum post, and it would make my day to know I actually helped.

Thanks to Mateorod for posting the file, and the XDA community for breathing new life into the NookColor.

[ I watched XDA's 'Noob Video', now I need a therapist!]

lollyjay

Jul 26, 2012
Fresno
Just an update on my experience with the tablet ui. Almost everything works well except Hotmail (no headers), and swiftkey (doesn't think I have a tablet). Also can't get the swipe to work to adjust brightness.

dcahoe

Jan 3, 2012
Has anyone successfully installed this patch to CM10 Alpha1 running on an SD card?

I have tried and get a boot loop. I even tried cmdralpha's trick about doing a fresh install and clearing Trebuchet's cache before installing the patch. No joy.

I don't think I can run Clockwork Recovery from the same SD card I am booting my ROM from, so this makes updating and restoring a pain.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Has anyone successfully installed this patch to CM10 Alpha1 running on an SD card?

I have tried and get a boot loop. I even tried cmdralpha's trick about doing a fresh install and clearing Trebuchet's cache before installing the patch. No joy.

I don't think I can run Clockwork Recovery from the same SD card I am booting my ROM from, so this makes updating and restoring a pain.
You cannot use his zip to install the patch to SD using CWM. He has it hard coded to flash to emmc. I will look at it to see if there is something I can do to make it work on SD.

EDIT: So far I have not been successful in getting a zip to work on my SD install. Theoretically you should be able to just rename to update-.zip and put it into your boot partition and boot to the SD recovery. It loads ok, but hangs on boot animation on booting. It could be because have my resolution set to phone gui and using ADW launcher.

Sent from my Nook Color running CM10 and Tapatalk.

Last edited:

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
You cannot use his zip to install the patch to SD using CWM. He has it hard coded to flash to emmc. I will look at it to see if there is something I can do to make it work on SD.

EDIT: So far I have not been successful in getting a zip to work on my SD install. Theoretically you should be able to just rename to update-.zip and put it into your boot partition and boot to the SD recovery. It loads ok, but hangs on boot animation on booting. It could be because have my resolution set to phone gui and using ADW launcher.

Sent from my Nook Color running CM10 and Tapatalk.

Hmmm...interesting. The updater-script that is used is just a cat if the existing one from the ROM. But I will admit, this patcher is a general tool, used by all devices and the Nook is the first I know of to try and use it with a sdcard install. If one of you sdcard folks would pull a logcat, I will look at it.

I can't think of why it would matter, this is the same thing we did with Botbrew, for instance, and sdcard installs worked no problem. Might just be a tabletUI issue, although again, I can't imagine why...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So Long...

Update 3/22: Autopatcher is updated for CM10.1 and should be working for all devices. Check our dedicated TabletUI thread maintained by Caldair.

I was about to post this in the CM10 user thread, but figured I would give it it's own thread to make it easy to find.

I have seen a couple people request combined bars and/or tabletUI for the CM10 build. You can get true tabletUI by using my tool the auto-patcher. It is linked in my sig and runs on Linux or OSX terminals and Windows actually has a GUI.

It just outputs a flashable zip that you install directly over the ROM, as well as a restore.zip.

The command in the terminal would look like this (the cm stands for Cyanogen and due to some irregular build.prop entries in the build, it is required:
    Code:
    ./auto_patcher cm-fullofbugsETC.zip tabletUI cm

The attachments from this thread have been taken down as they were for the beta builds. Now that the Nook Color has Official CM10 builds, those zips no longer apply (Thanks to our encore CM10 team!)

If you want tabletUI on a CM10 Official Nightly Build, you have two options that I know of:

1. You can use my tool the Autopatcher to apply tabletUI to any build, for any rom/device that doesn't come with Tablet as stock.
      • Works on Linux, OSX and Windows
      • Windows has a GUI
      • One command outputs a flashable zip.
      • works for emmc and sdcard installs.
      • ./auto_patcher CM10-encore.zip voice (for those of you who want to use the command line)
    2. You can use the ParanoidAndroid build (also nightly!) for the Nook Color- All the work and code from the CM10 kernel and device tree are used in these, so all the benefits are there as well.
      • Allows choice of Tablet, Phablet, Phone or combination thereof.

If someone is regularly making TabletUI zips for the CM10 nightlies and wants to maintain a post in this thread with download links, I can link to it in this space, but you should trust me that it is better just leave it up to individuals. The zips go out of date pretty often, and the Auto-Patcher is easy to use...
    Ok, I got the TabletUI to work on an SD install.

The issue appears to be the verygreen SD installer script. It does install it, but somehow does not get the dalvik updated properly on reboot.

The way I got it to work is two things.

First, I modified the installer zips to be generic and not hard coded to emmc. I am attaching both of the modified zips for the TabletUI and restoring to phabletUI to this post. They can be used on either emmc or SD.

Second, the zip needs to be flashed to SD with my Alternate CWM modified for SD. You can read about and get that Alternate CWM in my tips thread linked in my signature (item B5 in the second post of that thread). I just uploaded to that thread a new version of the Alternate CWM (v6.0.1.2) modified for use on an SD install. Heed the warning that this Alternate CWM is NOT to be used for flashing ROMs to SD. Edit: Be sure to also clear the dalvik-cache with the CWM.

EDIT: All of my updated TabletUI zips will be put here.

EDIT 2: If you want to modify the update.zip that autopatcher makes for you, follow these instructions to make them generic instead of hard coded to emmc. Then they can be flashed to SD with my Alternate CWM for SD as described above.

Open the update.zip with an archive program and extract the three files in /system/framework. Close that zip and open one of my TabletUI zips attached below. Then replace the three files in my zip with the three files extracted from the update.zip. Do the same with the restore.zip.

attachments removed
    Yes, I can confirm that I have the same situation. Phone UI is customizable but tablet is not.

QI0CM9787SV, 12/11/2010
    ES1.2, cyttsp, CM10 Beta 4
    Tablet UI, Go Launcher HD

Well, this was kind of a hack to simply enable the tablet UI. There have been some improvements to the code, and I can probably enable it to the point where the tablet UI is turn on/off in settings itself.

let me look at it tonight/tomorrow.
    Okay, I will update it. Just for kicks, this is how it is done...

Download the latest Auto-Patcher (or the GUI for Windows)

Run it on any PC (Windows, OSX, Linux. OSX and Linux users will need Java, patch and cpio installed in your usual manner).

Code:
    ./auto_patcher cm-10-a1-encore-fullofbugs.zip tabletUI

Collect your update.zip. Wipe caches before install.

New update.zip will be on the OP momentarily.
    I have a question about your updater-script: it sets permissions on a whole lot of things that it doesn't install. Is this just fossil code from whatever ROM you cut down for this, or is there some reason that isn't obvious?

Thanks! I'm really liking this layout, although some of the dual-pane layouts (Settings, especially) get a little cramped in Portrait.

I'll answer for him. I was wondering the same thing, so I checked it out. That is just old code from a ROM installer. It does not need to be there.

Just to be clear, that is a literal cat of the alpha's updater script, so no matter what the script says, I just repeat it. That way everything installs correctly with no errors no matter what the autopatcher modifies. You could conceivably be injecting hundreds of files ( in the case of 3gdongle, for instance) so we are very careful.