Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,266 Members 47,445 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Advice: refurbished Razr HD 926 with ICS

Tip us?

Trebuchette
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Question [Q] Advice: refurbished Razr HD 926 with ICS

(Android version 4.06.25), but I'm completely new to Motorola. (HTCs only until now, not including a failed iPhone experience.) After ingesting days' worth of threads and manuals here and other places covering the Razr HD (926), I'm starting to think I should root/unlock, but stay with ICS?

I'm not overly familiar with JB/KitKat really (others have it; I've used their phones; wasn't impressed). What's important to me isn't G+ and social and stuff, but:

root and unlock (It's the principle.)
speed and stability, of course (doesn't have to be "perfect"; eg, I usually found stock Sense was great as long as I could delete the unused crapware apps after root)
privacy (not to a paranoid level, but no G+ or FB for me)
SMS
tethering
using my phone as disk drive, to transfer files

...and it seems you lose usb disk drive with JB . Any advice? Were the ICS vulnerabilities that bad that it's worth it to give up disk drive?

All I've done so far is install Moto drivers (do I need that Moto Device Manager, or will just the drivers do?). I haven't even activated yet (I've got my old HTC hobbling along now, but it's got to go by Saturday, when I'll need a stable phone.)

My root plan, which I'm being VERY CAREFUL not to start until I feel comfy with what I'm doing, is to use motofail, then twrp or cwm, then unlock ...and I'm sorta stuck after that. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Moto is so different than HTC, omg

T

3/28/14 I'm inbetween phones. Srsly. NO PHONE.
My HTC just ...DIED Like the dincs b4 it.
...but I'm looking at a DNA. (Will probably get a DINC 4G.) #SoLost Need cheapie for out-of-pocket

4/2: got Moto Razr HD (long story; batt life won me over.)

progrockguy
Old
Thanks Meter 198
Lucky, you!.. getting a maxx hd that hasn't been upgraded to JB. Now you can unlock the bootloader!

Since you want cwm, you have to follow this order: Root -> Unlock -> Cwm

I recommend Motochopper and Motopocalypse (?) by Dan Rosenberg. Enjoy the unlocked life!
The Following User Says Thank You to progrockguy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]