5,604,050 Members 47,765 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wireless Hotspot hack procedure *Working*

Tip us?

trincisor
Old
(Last edited by trincisor; 8th November 2012 at 06:18 AM.)
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by antawnm26 View Post
Im confused really...whats wrong with using the android wifi its working fine..Does foxfi do anything special that the android wifi app doesnt?
foxfi helps when your data plan doesn't allow tethering

F U C K , data used be data one could use it however one pleases, and then iphone came along and ATT asked them to selectively allow tethering on some data plans. so that they could charge more for tethering.

i think the back end of it is implemented using, APN types. Vaguely remember able to tether by setting APN type as "Default, tether". doesnt work anymore, atleast in mycase.
the APNs on my phone are locked, even if i make new APNs they keep switching back to the default ones.

since my phone is rooted there should be someway to delete network specified APNs, and use custom APNs

my guess is this should serve fine and we could just use the default android tethering on rooted phones

thoughts, guys?

WinDroidGuy
Old
Thanks Meter 648

DONATE TO ME
I did the hack, I've used it just fine on RAZR, Bionic, MAXX and a bunch of other Motorola devices.

This time when I connect any device to my MAXX HD I lose 4G until I disconnect a device.

Anyone having the same issues or have a solution?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Check out Donkey Coins, use WDG for 200 bonus points

vvvvvvv

^^^^^^^
or hit the "thanks" button

qqhsiao
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default I have tried the Foxfi, and it doesn't work

I have tried the Foxfi, and it doesn't work

may i ask what other methods i could try?

RAZR HD built-in app for wifi hotspot it can be turned on and linked from other devices (tried another phone and laptop)
connected fine, but there is not internet access.

would someone please help me out here? thank you in advance.

WinDroidGuy
Old
Thanks Meter 648

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqhsiao View Post
RAZR HD built-in app for wifi hotspot it can be turned on and linked from other devices (tried another phone and laptop)
connected fine, but there is not internet access.
I'm having the same issue with mine :/ I've tried a bunch of things and nothing seems to work

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk

Check out Donkey Coins, use WDG for 200 bonus points

vvvvvvv

^^^^^^^
or hit the "thanks" button

ChrisTahoe
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am having the same issue. My computer will connect, but have no internet access. My Nexus 7 connects with no issues however. My phone still retains 4G status, so it isn't a lack of service. I tried both FoxFi and the Settings.db hack. No luck on either. I'd love it if someone could figure this out.

xlow78
Old
(Last edited by xlow78; 5th January 2013 at 04:59 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Did you try usb tether option? It works for me (only on ics) but foxfi works as well. Have you installed the recent update? I believe it was something like 0.7.2. I haven't, so maybe that is the cause of you not having working wifi tether.

Sent via Droid Razr Maxx HD

jdk2
Old
Thanks Meter 81
For those that hacked the settings.db, have you tried this?

http://code.google.com/p/android-wif...2.apk&can=2&q=

You should remove foxfi and any other 3rd party tethering apps before trying that .apk.

ChrisTahoe
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlow78 View Post
Did you try usb tether option? It works for me but foxfi works as well. Have you installed the recent update? I believe it was something like 0.7.2. I haven't, so maybe that is the cause of you not having working wifi tether.

Sent via Droid Razr Maxx HD
Tried it both before and after the 0.7.2 update. My Nexus 7 AND Xbox 360 will connect via WiFi Tether, but if I use my computer I can connect, but get "No Internet Access." I can however use USB tether, it's just more tedious. I've also tried going into command prompt and doing iprelease and iprenew with no luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk2 View Post
For those that hacked the settings.db, have you tried this?

-snip- (new member, can't post outside links)

You should remove foxfi and any other 3rd party tethering apps before trying that .apk.
Tried it and no dice. Same issue as above.

rstlhiii
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default foxfi asking me to subscribe to plan

I still have the unlimited data, and i've rooted my razr hd maxx, plus flashed the jb leak. Foxfi asks me to subscribe to the hotspot feature through verizon. Is there a way to get around this?

syntrix
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstlhiii View Post
I still have the unlimited data, and i've rooted my razr hd maxx, plus flashed the jb leak. Foxfi asks me to subscribe to the hotspot feature through verizon. Is there a way to get around this?
Yes, turn off entitlement as stated before.... well....

However foxfi went to a limited free model, right? I dunno, I just use a usb tether, and it works great with the entitlement hack.

The masses are uninstalling foxfi, it doesn't work on my HD for some reason... oh yeah, they said their product doesn't work on jelly bean!