Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,116 Members 48,295 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW TO] [TUTORIAL] S3 Replace Cracked Glass Screen

Tip us?

jrocks213
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by uoY_redruM View Post
So you need tape then right? There's no way to stick it with existing? I just want to make sure I'm prepared lol.
Yeah you need adhesive .

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to jrocks213 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scooter247
Old
Thanks Meter 56
I just did mine last night. I chose the disassemble it down to the screen and heated the class. I was able to reuse the tape for the new screen. Make sure to heat the glass side only this way the adhesive come off the glass and not the metal housing. I used a business card to slide under the screen where I had already separated. At first it looked like I was pushing into something soft under the screen but after I got the glass off I realized it was adhesive. I removed and clean the digitizer and cleared the screen but keep the black double sided adhesive intact and reused it for my new screen. I also left my screen protector on and it kept the glass from splintering so I had no glass to clean from the screen

jmario79
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocks213 View Post
Heres my glass I replaced today. it wasnt easy and it wasn't too difficult. I been fixing phones for a while so take your time if you Want To replace your glass. and make sure you heat up the glass real good. It helps a lot. And make sure you clean up the residue left from the glue real good. if you don't your phones screen won't work correctly.

WOW! u did a nice job in breaking ur phone. well, u also did a good job in fixing it.

ismethajametovic
Old
Thanks Meter 90
To avoid this mess, buy a good high quality case to prepare for the drunken nights.

velkrosmaak
Old
Thanks Meter 0
**** **** **** **** ****. As I ran around the edge of my phone with a pen knife I cut through the ribbon that connects the two touch sensitive buttons on the bottom.

Also, on the screen some of the thin film came off with the screen, but some of it is still stuck on. That would have been a problem anyway I'm guessing?

So what are my options now? Get a new screen and digitiser, and the two touch sensitive buttons? Is that even possible? Googling now but if anyone here has been as stupid as I have I'd love to hear from you!

jrocks213
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by velkrosmaak View Post
**** **** **** **** ****. As I ran around the edge of my phone with a pen knife I cut through the ribbon that connects the two touch sensitive buttons on the bottom.

Also, on the screen some of the thin film came off with the screen, but some of it is still stuck on. That would have been a problem anyway I'm guessing?

So what are my options now? Get a new screen and digitiser, and the two touch sensitive buttons? Is that even possible? Googling now but if anyone here has been as stupid as I have I'd love to hear from you!
Only option find a new whole glass with digitizer. Good luck.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium HD app

uoY_redruM
Old
Thanks Meter 1930

DONATE TO ME
Did you heat the whole glass at once or focus on one area at a time (ie the bottom, then middle then top)?

My glass came in today. About to start the adventure, but want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row first.
Interested in buying me a coffee? Click the 'Donate" button:

HTC One (M8)

Galaxy Tab 3

LG G2 UPGRADED

(16GB Blue) Galaxy S III - T-Mobile RETIRED

Kindle Fire RETIRED

Galaxy Nexus - GSM Unlocked STOLEN

Nexus One - RETIRED

jrocks213
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Did you heat the whole glass at once or focus on one area at a time (ie the bottom, then middle then top)?

My glass came in today. About to start the adventure, but want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row first.
I did one area at a time.

The Following User Says Thank You to jrocks213 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

uoY_redruM
Old
Thanks Meter 1930

DONATE TO ME
I don't have a heat gun, and don't have the extra cash right now, so I'm hoping the wives blow dryer will do the trick.

I've read others say they used a blow dryer so I'm hoping it's fine, lol.
Interested in buying me a coffee? Click the 'Donate" button:

HTC One (M8)

Galaxy Tab 3

LG G2 UPGRADED

(16GB Blue) Galaxy S III - T-Mobile RETIRED

Kindle Fire RETIRED

Galaxy Nexus - GSM Unlocked STOLEN

Nexus One - RETIRED

se1000
Old
Thanks Meter 190
Quote:
I don't have a heat gun, and don't have the extra cash right now, so I'm hoping the wives blow dryer will do the trick.

I've read others say they used a blow dryer so I'm hoping it's fine, lol.
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!