5,594,564 Members 33,035 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Flashing ROMs correctly, every time

Tip us?

rani9990
Old
Thanks Meter 935

DONATE TO ME
Why the duplication of steps? Task says it's completely unnecessary.... and I do too. Never have I had any problems with flashing a Rom only wiping data once.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
HIT THANKS IF I'VE HELPED YOU!
IF YOU WANT TO HELP OUT WITH MY COLLEGE FUND, AND LIKE MY WORK, YOU CAN DONATE TO ME, A 13 YEAR OLD.
SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 - OC'ed to 1.9 GHZ- Stock + Root
Previous Devices:
LG NITRO HD - CM10 Nightly- OC'ed to 1.9 Ghz - Stock LG-P930 Kernel
Samsung Captivate - MyUI Euphoria - OC'ed to 1.5 Ghz - Kernel Semaphore
MY WORKS
SGS3 LAUNCHER
MOTOBLUR LAUNCHER PORT
SGS3 TASK MANAGER (REMOVED)

black13n
Old
Thanks Meter 0
what if the custom rom doesn't have md5 files? the galaxymod rom doesn't have it.

And when I flash it via CWR it loads but the menu's fail and constantly has the xxx process has stopped rendering the phone useless.

king101x
Old
Thanks Meter 0
i am trying to flash a new rom but I don't see this step in my phone
"6. Manually Wipe System"

can somebody help me

aricky56
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default how do i wipe the system before flashing rom?

can i just use the clockwork recovery to wipe or do i need to flash a wipe file?
pls help im trying to flash ARHD on samsung galaxy s3.

cobraboy85
Old
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 1251
Default Re: [GUIDE] Flashing ROMs correctly, every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricky56 View Post
can i just use the clockwork recovery to wipe or do i need to flash a wipe file?
pls help im trying to flash ARHD on samsung galaxy s3.
Just use recovery to wipe.

droidsung
Old
Thanks Meter 12
After the cache and dalvik wipe, I sometimes use the "Fix permissions" and sometimes don't.

However, I see no real difference in the performance and/or battery life when using fix permissions as opposed to not using it.

So, I don't know, should we always or shouldn't we fix permissions after flashing a new ROM and why?

cobraboy85
Old
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 1251
Default Re: [GUIDE] Flashing ROMs correctly, every time

Most ROMs that you flash have script in the updater to fix permissions for you after everything is installed and sometimes even at boot during the loading phase of the /etc/init.d (right when you are seeing the boot animation)

I wouldn't do it unless your ROM developer instructs you to, or if you are having problems with certain apps force closing on you, or other out of the ordinary issue.

A common example is your market not being able to download an app, or it force closing, things like that. Clearing data on whatever app you are having accessibility issues with, then wiping cache and dalvik cache, then fixing permissions, will usually solve little issues such as these.

Hope that was clear for you.

Enemy5802
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Would the aforementioned steps work with flashing CM10 to an SGH T999 tmo phone??

mt3g
Old
Thanks Meter 3118

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Would the aforementioned steps work with flashing CM10 to an SGH T999 tmo phone??
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1813456
**HTC Uno Crew**
***Former RC Crew***
The Following User Says Thank You to mt3g For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

johnny quest
Old
Thanks Meter 245

DONATE TO ME
Ok, after attempting to flash a rom several times and it works but sometimes I repeat the other methods and then lose my back up, my directory. I then saw your thread on flashing and I am going to try it out.

Why is it that some roms require you to wipe data/factory reset? when I do that I install my miui and it works, but when I have another rom installed and do the same wipe method I lose my directory?