[GUIDE] How to edit build.prop on any Android device!

Search This thread

DroidModder

Jun 14, 2012
In A Box
Have you ever wanted to use an app from the Google Play store or a game...but it wasn't "supported" on your device?..Well DroidModder is here to the rescue to tell you not to worry at all and that you can use those apps in just seconds by editing one file in your devices system. This file is called build.prop

We will talk more about what this file holds and where its all displayed within your OS. Before we go any further, be aware that you must be rooted, which I assume, all of us are.

Now to access this file, you will need a File Manager, you can use the stock manager but I recommend using ES File Explorer. It is free on the Play Store and I will put a link below to download it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en

Once downloaded and installed, Open the application and hit Menu, then tap "Settings", this will bring you to the apps Settings Menu. Once in the Settings Menu, scroll all the way down to Root Settings. In Root Settings, "check" Root Explorer and Mount File System

Once that is done, go back to the main part of the app that shows all the folders. On that page in the TOP RIGHT you should see a little window like icon, tap that and a set of icons should appear..on the left, there will be an icon that has a star and says Favorites...hit that please. When you hit favorites, it will display the directories on your device, such as Internal Storage, SD CARD, etc. Please tap the icon that shows your device. It can also be distinguished by a "/". By tapping that we have gone into our Devices Internal Storage. The next step is to navigate the system file...it should be towards the bottom. Now enter the system file and scroll to the bottom..at the bottom there will be your build.prop. Be aware that there is also a file named build.prop.bak, we are not using that file so just leave it alone..and enter the regular build.prop. Open the build.prop, the device will prompt you to ask what editor you would like to use to view/edit the build.prop...just use the ES Note Editor.

Once in build.prop you can edit the following things:

-edit Android Version by locating ro.build.version.release= and changing the current Build Version.
- Edit your Model # by locating ro.product.model= and changing your model #
- change your product brand by locating ro.product.brand=

Please Note that if you change the product brand, the name MUST be in ALL LOWERCASE LETTERS!!!

Once you are done playing around, press menu, and then Save...now just exit the app and reboot your phone.
Once your device reboots, go to Settings> About Phone/Device and see the changes! ;D

If you thought this tutorial helped you, please hit that thanks button!

gunawancavalera

Oct 25, 2012
Thank you

I would like to appreciate you the way, you have shared the post with us. It is really hard to find the quality post, but you have done this job nicely

Raizik

Sep 30, 2012
thanks, searched much to learn this when wanting to use google wallet on my verizon nexus.

RandomAlec

Mar 30, 2011
Miami
Is there an edit for CM9 Touchpad that gives most if not all applications? I've been searching around for the past hour and haven't found a definite answer both through information and testing myself.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have you ever wanted to use an app from the Google Play store or a game...but it wasn't "supported" on your device?..Well DroidModder is here to the rescue to tell you not to worry at all and that you can use those apps in just seconds by editing one file in your devices system. This file is called build.prop

We will talk more about what this file holds and where its all displayed within your OS. Before we go any further, be aware that you must be rooted, which I assume, all of us are.

Now to access this file, you will need a File Manager, you can use the stock manager but I recommend using ES File Explorer. It is free on the Play Store and I will put a link below to download it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en

Once downloaded and installed, Open the application and hit Menu, then tap "Settings", this will bring you to the apps Settings Menu. Once in the Settings Menu, scroll all the way down to Root Settings. In Root Settings, "check" Root Explorer and Mount File System

Once that is done, go back to the main part of the app that shows all the folders. On that page in the TOP RIGHT you should see a little window like icon, tap that and a set of icons should appear..on the left, there will be an icon that has a star and says Favorites...hit that please. When you hit favorites, it will display the directories on your device, such as Internal Storage, SD CARD, etc. Please tap the icon that shows your device. It can also be distinguished by a "/". By tapping that we have gone into our Devices Internal Storage. The next step is to navigate the system file...it should be towards the bottom. Now enter the system file and scroll to the bottom..at the bottom there will be your build.prop. Be aware that there is also a file named build.prop.bak, we are not using that file so just leave it alone..and enter the regular build.prop. Open the build.prop, the device will prompt you to ask what editor you would like to use to view/edit the build.prop...just use the ES Note Editor.

Once in build.prop you can edit the following things:

-edit Android Version by locating ro.build.version.release= and changing the current Build Version.
    - Edit your Model # by locating ro.product.model= and changing your model #
    - change your product brand by locating ro.product.brand=

Please Note that if you change the product brand, the name MUST be in ALL LOWERCASE LETTERS!!!

Once you are done playing around, press menu, and then Save...now just exit the app and reboot your phone.
    Once your device reboots, go to Settings> About Phone/Device and see the changes! ;D

If you thought this tutorial helped you, please hit that thanks button!
    Thank you so much! :) and yeah I made this mainly to help the people who are new to android

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
    Very useful specifically for beginners like me! :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
    Thanks dude, very noob friendly and useful :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
    You've got some other warnings, might as well add a warning not to mess with anything else, as doing so can put you in a boot loop. This is intended for noobs, after all.