Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,482 Members 53,706 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

RAZR hd and RAZR hd maxx on AT&T

Tip us?

seh6183
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 122
Default RAZR hd and RAZR hd maxx on AT&T

Can anyone that owns either of the Verizon branded phones try the following steps to see if they can get AT&T working? These were taken from the original Droid RAZR forums:

All Verizon ics roms are lock but there a way around that. First be rooted
Then got to build. Plist and change the ro. Telephony default to 7. 7means global phone.
Then go to *#*#4636#*#* and change the radio to wcdma preferred.
That should give u Gsm in tmobile

I would really like to have a Droid RAZR maxx on at&t. I would be willing to give up lte connectivity to have it.
Sent from my iPhone 4

sprke
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by seh6183 View Post
Can anyone that owns either of the Verizon branded phones try the following steps to see if they can get AT&T working? These were taken from the original Droid RAZR forums:

All Verizon ics roms are lock but there a way around that. First be rooted
Then got to build. Plist and change the ro. Telephony default to 7. 7means global phone.
Then go to *#*#4636#*#* and change the radio to wcdma preferred.
That should give u Gsm in tmobile

I would really like to have a Droid RAZR maxx on at&t. I would be willing to give up lte connectivity to have it.
Got one today and just got it rooted. Can you point me to the forum these were taken out of?

Clemenator
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Default Razar HD

thinking of getting it, r u happy with the phone ??

seh6183
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprke View Post
Got one today and just got it rooted. Can you point me to the forum these were taken out of?
I can't remember where I snagged it. If you just use root explorer you can go through the file system and make those changes. Then pop in a T-Mobile, or att sim and see what you come up with. You may have to let it sit a while before it grabs service.
Sent from my iPhone 4

jamesbra
Old
Thanks Meter 72
The other gsm thread says that it may be blocked on the radio firmware. How awesome would it be if a build.prop hack could fix it. I want the maxx so badly, but won't give up my s3 until someone can confirm it working for at&t/tmobile

TRF-Inferno
Old
Thanks Meter 42
No good.

Changed build.prop as advised:

Code:
Select Code
# BEGIN Motorola, qmfd78, 14-Jul-2010, IKMAIN-884
# GSM SMS traffic needs to be routed/sent through North America SMSC.
# This is part of the VZW World-phone Feature. SMS are always sent to a US SMSC and then injected
# into that network. This allows for billing and give the user the impression that the device is
# still in the US.
ro.telephony.gsm-routes-us-smsc = 1
# END Motorola, qmfd78, 14-Jul-2010, IKMAIN-884

telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=1
ro.mot.ril.danlist=611,*611,#611

ro.telephony.default_network=7
Inserted active AT&T MicroSIM with iPhone unlimited data plan.

Changed Preferred Network Type in Phone info to WCDMA preferred. Let the phone sit for ten minutes.

Now I have an angry RAZR MAXX HD, scanning for service continuously. Phone status shows no network type, signal, nada. Angry phone is angry. Rolled back changes.

Good try, but we are not living in the OG Droid era anymore.

seh6183
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF-Inferno View Post
No good.

Changed build.prop as advised:

Code:
Select Code
# BEGIN Motorola, qmfd78, 14-Jul-2010, IKMAIN-884
# GSM SMS traffic needs to be sent through North America SMSC.
# This is part of the VZW World-phone Feature. SMS are always sent to a US SMSC and then injected
# into that network. This allows for billing and give the user the impression that the device is
# still in the US.
ro.telephony.gsm-routes-us-smsc = 1
# END Motorola, qmfd78, 14-Jul-2010, IKMAIN-884

telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=1
ro.mot.ril.danlist=611,*611,#611

ro.telephony.default_network=7
Inserted active AT&T MicroSIM with iPhone unlimited data plan.

Changed Preferred Network Type in Phone info to WCDMA preferred. Let the phone sit for ten minutes.

Now I have an angry RAZR MAXX HD, scanning for service continuously. Phone status shows no network type, signal, nada. Angry phone is angry. Rolled back changes.

Good try, but we are not living in the OG Droid era anymore.

We all definitely appreciate the effort though. I may buy one and use it on wifi only until I can figure a hack out. The radios are there, just blocked somehow from North American carriers.
Sent from my iPhone 4

TRF-Inferno
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
We all definitely appreciate the effort though. I may buy one and use it on wifi only until I can figure a hack out. The radios are there, just blocked somehow from North American carriers.
If you were going to buy one, why not go the XT925 from Rogers? It is fully compatible with AT&T's network; the Verizon version as-is can't even get voice connectivity.

Regardless, I will give it another shot, at least not trying to do this at work will give me time to tinker with it more extensively.

seh6183
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF-Inferno View Post
If you were going to buy one, why not go the XT925 from Rogers? It is fully compatible with AT&T's network; the Verizon version as-is can't even get voice connectivity.

Regardless, I will give it another shot, at least not trying to do this at work will give me time to tinker with it more extensively.

Please tell me Rogers has the same LTE bands
Sent from my iPhone 4

TRF-Inferno
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Please tell me Rogers has the same LTE bands
The two carriers have the same 3G bands but different LTE band, but the Rogers' RAZR supports both carrier's LTE bands. Something to keep in mind, if you are looking for an international phone for that supports AT&T's 3G/LTE bands, look for a phone that has UMTS 850/1900 for 3G and Band 17 700 MHz LTE.

Be careful not mix Verizon's and AT&T's LTE bands up, because they're both theoretically 700 MHz spectrum, but Verizon's is actually Band 13 while AT&T's is Band 17.