Nova Launcher on the KFHD7!

Search This thread

RMGeren

I just got this working and I thought I'd share how:

1. Back up everything and root your device. See instructions elsewhere.
  2. Install a root capable file manager. I used Root Explorer.
  3. Get a copy of Nova Launcher. I used the one from my AOKP prebuilts folder. You could get it from the market and copy it out of /data/app/
  4. Using your file manager, mount /system r/w and put the launcher in /system/app/. I put my Superuser.apk there too while i was at it.
  5. Change permissions to rw-r--r--
  6. Profit!

I tried this on a whim and it worked like a champ. Let me know if I've forgotten anything, and also if this works with Apex. I'm sure others will be curious. Also, both Nova and the default launchers have an icon in the app drawer, so its very easy to switch back an forth.

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
nova dont work for me
:(
Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Download the app from the play store. It will not show up in your app drawer at first. Using your file manager go to data/app folder, the apk will be there(though it will have a strange name, it is actually the name of the co. that developed it). Then move to system/app folder. You do not have to change permissions as they are already right. This is a much safer way to do this because 1-you are not downloading third party, 2-you do not have to mess with the permissions and take a chance of messing something up.

To OP-
This method has been discussed in multiple threads in the general section already. Not being an ass but you should pay attention to the similar threads that pop up before you post a new thread.

cyates98

Nov 11, 2012
Download the app from the play store. It will not show up in your app drawer at first. Using your file manager go to data/app folder, the apk will be there(though it will have a strange name, it is actually the name of the co. that developed it). Then move to system/app folder. You do not have to change permissions as they are already right. This is a much safer way to do this because 1-you are not downloading third party, 2-you do not have to mess with the permissions and take a chance of messing something up.

To OP-
This method has been discussed in multiple threads in the general section already. Not being an ass but you should pay attention to the similar threads that pop up before you post a new thread.

Heck, I'll give it a whirl....tired of riding the carousel .

Reactions: esema1o

esema1o

Dec 12, 2010
Thank u now my nova works ...;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium

Ravynmagi

Nov 2, 2010
nova dont work for me

Didn't work for me at first either. I copied the Nova Launcher APK file from my phone and copied it directly into the System\App folder, changed the permissions. Then rebooted the tablet. After unlocking the screen I was prompted to pick a launcher, I choose Nova and it would crash right away.

I think the OP might have left out the step to install the Nova Launcher. I went back to the System\App folder, double tapped the APK file to install it. Now it's working.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

Haha. Nova doesn't seem to be flawless though. I can't move icons. If I tap and hold an icon, the screen flips upside down. Weird.

c4r1yx

May 16, 2011
Alabama

To OP-

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I was starting to think I messed up something because I couldn't get any launchers to work besides go launcher and apex, without crashing. It was because I was changing the permissions!!! Now everything works fine :)

JJ Chuckles

Mar 31, 2013

To OP-

Still not getting mine to work on rotted KFHD.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just got this working and I thought I'd share how:

1. Back up everything and root your device. See instructions elsewhere.
    2. Install a root capable file manager. I used Root Explorer.
    3. Get a copy of Nova Launcher. I used the one from my AOKP prebuilts folder. You could get it from the market and copy it out of /data/app/
    4. Using your file manager, mount /system r/w and put the launcher in /system/app/. I put my Superuser.apk there too while i was at it.
    5. Change permissions to rw-r--r--
    6. Profit!

I tried this on a whim and it worked like a champ. Let me know if I've forgotten anything, and also if this works with Apex. I'm sure others will be curious. Also, both Nova and the default launchers have an icon in the app drawer, so its very easy to switch back an forth.
    nova dont work for me

To OP-

To OP-

Heck, I'll give it a whirl....tired of riding the carousel .