5,599,478 Members 39,702 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung Series 5 Hybrid (Ativ Smart PC) W8 tablet - Quick Review for Note 10.1 owners

Tip us?

tenderidol
Old
(Last edited by tenderidol; 27th October 2012 at 01:53 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 103
Default Samsung Series 5 Hybrid (Ativ Smart PC) W8 tablet - Quick Review for Note 10.1 owners

Alright. I've been playing with a Series 5 hybrid for a couple of hours now. This is a quick review with 2 pictures showing both units together (sorry for the grain in the pictures; I'll take better ones with my DSLR once I have more time), since some of the Note 10.1 owners might be interested in this particular model due to the Wacom digitizer and the S-Pen. It costs $649 (Staples is selling it for $599 at the moment).

First of all, the built quality is great. Yes, it has the same polycarbonate back panel as Note 10.1 and it moves little bit if you press on it in the center (which is not part of the typical tablet use scenario), but it feels really solid and not flimsy. Probably little better than Note 10.1, due to the fact that the back is one piece and wraps around the screen nicely and having less plastic parts merging into each other creates less movement and creaks. The full glass front with the integrated speakers on each side works very well.

The Series 5 hybrid is definitely designed for a landscape use. It's too narrow and awkward if you hold it in portrait mode. The thickness is similar to Note 10.1 and it doesn't feel particularly heavier. It comes with a power block (very similar to what you get with laptops), so while traveling, that will add some extra weight.

The stylus is smaller than the one that comes with Note 10.1. (it's slightly chubbier), and it's white. I played with S-Note for a while and it works very similar to what we have on the Note. Palm rejection may not be as accurate as on the Note 10.1, because after writing few sentences, there were 3-4 small lines under my hand where it was resting on the screen.

As for the performance of the Atom, it feels perfectly fine for browsing, e-mail, etc. I haven't noticed any lag while navigating from screen to screen, but when installing programs, moving to something else took a bit extra. It includes a 64GB SSD, but out of the box it has 34GB free. The screen on the Note 10.1 is more brighter compared to Series 5. I would say the resolution is similar in terms of sharpness, pixellation, etc. Since the labels are a lot more smaller in the desktop mode (see below), you can see the pixels in the letters under icons.

Unfortunately, it doesn't come with a preview of Office 2013 that was going to be upgraded to full version when released (this was mentioned for RT devices, but I remember reading it somewhere for the X-86 tablets, as well). It doesn't include Office 2010 either (you have to buy/install it separately). Since office 2010 is not touch optimized, using the stylus is a must. From this aspect, it feels like it was rushed to meet the Windows 8 launch date. This is a mistake on Microsoft's and Samsung's part, because the X86 machines are marketed as "productivity oriented" models as opposed to the Windows RT models, and the lack of touch-optimized Office suite takes away from it significantly. You can use Office 2010 on it without any problems in terms of functionality, but it's not tablet/touch optimized, and you'll definitely need that stylus.

This is my first encounter with Windows 8, so part of the learning curve is due to Windows 8 itself. Although, it's very easy and enjoyable to use it in the tablet mode, I find myself hitting that "Desktop" tile and using it as a "regular" computer. Over time, I'll probably move away from this habit. Once you are at the Desktop, you become aware of what's running in the background and it's a full Windows on a 11.6" screen. I thought the navigation would be a problem without the stylus, but it works OK, even though things look a bit small. After spending few minutes with it, you immediately realize that you're in Windows territory (pop up windows from Norton, security update reminders, restart reminders after installing the updates, etc.).

As of know, it feels more like a "computer" rather than a "tablet" if that makes any sense. Until I spend about a week with both, I won't form any opinions. I wish Office 2013 was included, since it's one of the most important factors for people considering an X-86 based tablet.

Let me know if you have any questions. Once I have some time, I'll make a more detailed side-by-side comparison of both tablets and add some more pictures.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to tenderidol For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mitchellvii
Old
Thanks Meter 970
Thanks, looks cool.

Yeah, I'm gonna wait for these to ripen in the marketplace for 6 months or so before I consider anything seriously. Once I do I will get either a 13.3" or 15" convertible ultrabook, 15" preferred and use it as a true laptop replacement.

As a tablet I would find having the tall skinny portrait mode disturbing I think. I greatly prefer holding my tablet in portrait mode for some reason.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it. So far sounds like you think it's ok but aren't blown away. I think that is the challenge W8 faces. For the premium price, people need to feel blown away. Even though the critics ripped the SGN10.1, users LOVED it and the device was saved, but if users themselves start giving weak reviews of the W8 tablets that will spell big trouble.

jedah
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Thanks for the mini-review. Do you by chance have Photoshop? I'm curious how the Atom processor handles it.

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 3778
It's bigger than I thought. I also never thought about what you mentioned in using it in portrait mode. Is Windows S-Note a program in the control panel and are Android and W8 S-Note's compatible? Being able to share my Note's S-Note's via the desktop would be huge for me. Play some HD movies and games on it. I'm curious to see how the new Atom holds up without a discrete GPU. By all means share your experiences. I and I'm sure others are interested.

fella1
Old
Thanks Meter 15
thanks for the quick thoughts. I'm interested in the series 7 version of the tablet which should be similar but faster than this one.

hoss_n2
Old
Thanks Meter 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by fella1 View Post
thanks for the quick thoughts. I'm interested in the series 7 version of the tablet which should be similar but faster than this one.
Actually the series 7 (with core i3 /i5 ) isnt the same , it is thicker , larger and have ugly cooling fins at the back (core i5 gets really hot ) and they start at double the price (1500$ for WiFi only core i3 ) and the camera has no flash also

Sent from my GT-N8000 using xda app-developers app
join us on Arab Xda members foundation

follow me on twitter Hoss for any updates

HTC HD2 --(Experience is our profession)--Galaxy Note 10.1
Galaxy tab 10.1

2012 Hoss_n2 Community . All rights reserved ,( Hoss_n2 and (Experience is our profession ) logos are trademarks of Hoss_n2 Community

if you like my work , tap thanks button

tenderidol
Old
(Last edited by tenderidol; 27th October 2012 at 04:03 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellvii View Post
Thanks, looks cool.

Yeah, I'm gonna wait for these to ripen in the marketplace for 6 months or so before I consider anything seriously. Once I do I will get either a 13.3" or 15" convertible ultrabook, 15" preferred and use it as a true laptop replacement.

As a tablet I would find having the tall skinny portrait mode disturbing I think. I greatly prefer holding my tablet in portrait mode for some reason.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it. So far sounds like you think it's ok but aren't blown away. I think that is the challenge W8 faces. For the premium price, people need to feel blown away. Even though the critics ripped the SGN10.1, users LOVED it and the device was saved, but if users themselves start giving weak reviews of the W8 tablets that will spell big trouble.
Yeah, I'm not blown away by it, for sure. It seems more and more that I'll be waiting for v2 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedah View Post
Thanks for the mini-review. Do you by chance have Photoshop? I'm curious how the Atom processor handles it.
I'll install it later tonight and see what happens, but don't get your hopes up (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
It's bigger than I thought. I also never thought about what you mentioned in using it in portrait mode. Is Windows S-Note a program in the control panel and are Android and W8 S-Note's compatible? Being able to share my Note's S-Note's via the desktop would be huge for me. Play some HD movies and games on it. I'm curious to see how the new Atom holds up without a discrete GPU. By all means share your experiences. I and I'm sure others are interested.
Yes, it's definitely bigger than I thought as well, especially when you put the Note 10.1 on top of it. I like the overall design of the Series 5 better than the Note 10.1 (more streamlined and clean), but the portrait mode is really awkward. It might be good for taking long notes, but I can't see any other use for it. After reading your post, I tried to find a way to export the notes from the S-Notes, but the only option was jpeg. I'll look into the file structure and try to open them on Note 10.1. The S-Note is a program in the control panel. For some reason, the S-Note feels sluggish. Opening and saving notes take a bit longer than Note 10.1. For instance, the "S-Note tips" file took a while to load, and when opened, moving from page to page was very slow (i.e., "hit the right arrow, wait 2 seconds, page #2 is delivered, and so on for the remaining 5 pages). The exact same file on the Note 10.1 flies. In addition, there's no "page turn animation" on the Windows version.

I haven't played any games other than the Plants vs. Zombies that's included (trial version). By the way, the game played in its own window and there was no way to play it full screen, which was annoying.

One thing that I was really skeptical was the Atom processor, and unfortunately, it interferes with the usage of the tablet often enough to remind you that you are using a device with a slow processor. Just to test it out, while Windows update was running in the background, I started Windows Movie maker and imported 4, 3-4 minute long 720p files from my digital camera. It took a while to add the movies to the "Project" and once a timeline formed, I hit "Play" to preview the movie. The small video playback was stuttering. Then I hit the full screen button on the preview window, it was painful to watch the processor trying to keep up with background installation of updates and ongoing video playback. I tried the same thing without any background processes running; the small preview window was better, but full screen continued to stutter.

I'll keep testing it with some other tasks, but so far it seems underpowered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella1 View Post
Based on what I've observed so far, Series 7 might be a better choice for people who wants to have full Windows 8 in a tablet form. It won't be an option for me because of the weight, thickness and the price point. As long as you don't push the processor, Atom works fine for "general" stuff, but anything "extra" shows its shortcomings.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tenderidol For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

banderos101
Old
Thanks Meter 273
Hey man, really appreciate you going out of your way to give us this comparison, much welcomed

Hope im not out of line in asking, if its possible to get some of the things you've mentioned, on video, if its not a bother that is

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 3778
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderidol View Post
I tried to find a way to export the notes from the S-Notes.
They're "snb" files (on the Android Samsung Note's). Use Astro or ES Explorer to upload them from your Note to Dropbox and see if the Ativ is able to open, read, and edit them. If it is, and there's a program in Control Panel, we should finally be able to use and edit S-Notes from the Note on a PC. I'm guessing the S-Note for W8 app is on the backup and restore CD. Thanks for the time you're spending on this.

lord69
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for your quick review.
I'm considering this tablet.

Can you test some 1080p mkvs with the S Player?
How do other players (vlc,.....) work on this atom processor?

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe