Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,137 Members 50,083 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[The Official] VETS Lounge/Resource Center [UPDATED 11-9

Tip us?

PeartFan40
Old
(Last edited by PeartFan40; 9th November 2012 at 06:10 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,405
Default [The Official] VETS Lounge/Resource Center [UPDATED 11-9

I created this thread as a way to thank our VETS who are, or have served in a war. (any war). Please show your gratitude here. VETS are also welcome to introduce themselves, and share their stories. ALL military persons are welcome here! Share your stories and have fun. :thumbup: Hooo-Rahh!!

Rules: There is only one rule...Be Respectful. Do not engage in political views, personal debates, or share your opinions about the war, or what our VETS are doing, or have done. This thread is strictly for VETS to introduce themselves, share their stories, and for civilians to show their support and gratitude for their sacrifice and dedication for our country. This rule will be strictly enforced, so please be mindful of this when posting. Thank You.

I'll start...

While I'm not a VET myself, I volunteer for the US Department of Veteran's Affairs as an activities coordinator, where I create activities and companionship for WWII, Korean, Vietnam, and Desert Storm VETS. Most of them are elderly, and facing mortality, suffering from moderate to severe depression, anxiety, and PTSD. Most of them are lonely, so I create activities that cater to their specific wants and needs, which in turn stimulates happiness, and an improved quality of life in their latter years. My wife also works there as a Medical Support Assistant, where she works in the urgent care dept. assisting VETS by addressing health issues, and providing them with the care they so desperately need. We both are very proud of what we do, because it's our way of giving back to those who have lost so much...

"Semper Fidelis"
"This We'll Defend"
"Uno Ab Alto"
"Aim High...Fly-Fight-Win"
"Non Sibi Sed Patriae"
"The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday"
"Always Ready; Always There"
"Semper Paratus"
"Sua Sponte"

Veterans Crisis Line: (800)-273-8255

US Dept. of Veterans Affairs: http://www.va.gov/

Outreach Support Groups for VETS: http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/pages/...ort_groups.asp

http://www.veteransoutreachcenter.org/?mobile=1

Survivors of Fallen VETS Support Group: http://m.nrd.gov/family_and_caregive..._organizations

Disabled Veteran's National Foundation: http://www.dvnf.org/?nomobile=1

Suffering from PTSD? Download this free app for Android. PTSD Coach is a mobile app for managing PTSD.
http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/pages/ptsdcoach.asp

It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Adapt and Overcome!

Freedom is never Free...

UPDATE: I have decided to alao make this thread a resource center. I will regularly add info such as resources, hotlines, outreach, and anything the VETS need. All feedback is welcome, and I will gladly add anything you all feel should be here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"

Sent from my Galaxy Note (i717), using XDA Premium.

StormMcCloud
Old
Thanks Meter 930
As an OIF VET (07-08) I approve of this thread.

I got out as a Sgt in the Marine Corps. Thanks for the support you are showing the troops PeartFan.

TheSkinnyDrummer
Old
Thanks Meter 4,497
VERY good thread idea Peart. I live close to Camp Pendelton Marine Base, and I see our service men and women every day. Each and every one of them deserves a nod. Past and present service members equal.

KCCO

PeartFan40
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormMcCloud View Post
As an OIF VET (07-08) I approve of this thread.

I got out as a Sgt in the Marine Corps. Thanks for the support you are showing the troops PeartFan.
Thank you for your sacrfice serving our country. :thumbup::beer: Freedom is never free.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PeartFan40
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkinnyDrummer View Post
VERY good thread idea Peart. I live close to Camp Pendelton Marine Base, and I see our service men and women every day. Each and every one of them deserves a nod. Past and present service members equal.
Thanks Skinny. There's never enough we could do to thank them. Thanks for posting brother! :thumbup:

TheSkinnyDrummer
Old
Thanks Meter 4,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeartFan40 View Post
Thanks Skinny. There's never enough we could do to thank them. Thanks for posting brother! :thumbup:

One of my biggest regrets, but that's for another thread.

I praise our soldiers.

Good luck to this thread, I hope to see some posts here in the morning.

KCCO

PeartFan40
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,405
To the top. I want people to see this.

soclean
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Default OIF veteran

Former Marine SGT. servedmy tour of duty as a reservist dployed to Iraq in 2007-2008. all in all it was an awesome experience. Deployed with some very amazing people. Everyone i left with came home happy and healthy. I understand some others are not as lucky and my heart goes out to them and thier families.

One thing i have never asked for and never will ask for is a thank you. But to anyone feeling as if they need to do so, i will tell you it was a pleasure and if things in my life hadnt changed significantly for me after my return home I would still be humbly serving our nation.

Semper Fi

Yeah its a Marine thing but its also a life thing.

Also another note. I was a weather observer a profession which is now phased out. Now they only have weather forcasters and I was an air wing Marine on Al Asad air base. So my experiences may vary greatly from the larger group of my brothers and sisters who also served.

85gallon
Old
Thanks Meter 678
ODS Vet here.

Hats off to all of the other vets here and the OP!!

The war I was in was nothing compared to what other vets have endured.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

faehsemc
Old
Thanks Meter 348

DONATE TO ME
Pshh... Marines... sorry but it's all about the Navy! Lol. USS Russell DDG-59 in the good ole Pineapple Navy. Pearl Harbor

(The Marines comment is a joke people just in case it offends anyone.)

if you're using a D2VZW and are on an AOSP ROM. disable HW overlays in dev options and stop clogging threads about your screen flickers.