No registration required

The Only Car Charger You Need for the Nexus 7

OP chjade84

18th February 2013, 01:58 PM   |  #121  
Thanks Meter: 43

139 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naiku

Has anyone dismantled one of these chargers that works in order to connect directly to the wiring behind the cigarette lighter? The reason I ask is I plan to install my Nexus 7 in my car dash, I don't want to have wires running up the console and then into it. I am hoping to solder the wires to the back of the lighter port, and then just run the charger cable up behind the center console to the Nexus.

I assume it should be fairly simple, as most of these are all the same on the inside. Just wanted to know if someone had done this?

Thanks

Don't even bother with one of these if you can install it behind the dash. When I did my install I used a 12v to 5v switching regulator. $3 for 3A, has worked for 2 years now with zero problems, and provides enough to for my aux USB charger, an actuator, PWM generator, as well as the tablet charging.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Conver...item4170d97a9f
The Following User Says Thank You to Caferacer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th February 2013, 02:33 AM   |  #122  
Thanks Meter: 0

45 posts
I have my N7 installed in my dash and have a charger that looks like it's the same thing, except that it's branded as Mediabridge.
There are two Mediabridge ones (the black one for Apple devices and this white one for Android)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, I'm just getting a slow charge and I need to pull the tablet every couple weeks to charge it in the house.
I've also tried the Rocketfish charger others have said work, same issue.
Also tried other cables to no avail.

My N7 charges super fast plugged into the wall however, no matter which cable I use.

So I was thinking, why not just get a power inverter, use the wall charger and call it a day?
http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-inverter-adapter-notebook-MRI1511U/dp/B003ODVN88/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=18E8NYSJC556 E&coliid=I197NEHYYMQ21V

Any thoughts?
24th February 2013, 03:31 AM   |  #123  
Thanks Meter: 150

2,193 posts
Re: The Only Car Charger You Need for the Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fescen9

I have my N7 installed in my dash and have a charger that looks like it's the same thing, except that it's branded as Mediabridge.
There are two Mediabridge ones (the black one for Apple devices and this white one for Android)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, I'm just getting a slow charge and I need to pull the tablet every couple weeks to charge it in the house.
I've also tried the Rocketfish charger others have said work, same issue.
Also tried other cables to no avail.

My N7 charges super fast plugged into the wall however, no matter which cable I use.

So I was thinking, why not just get a power inverter, use the wall charger and call it a day?
http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-inverter-adapter-notebook-MRI1511U/dp/B003ODVN88/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=18E8NYSJC556 E&coliid=I197NEHYYMQ21V

Any thoughts?

I have a power inverter too. Even though it works well, that thing is huge. If i want a small one like the Amazon link you posted, it only have 1 outlet.
27th February 2013, 06:56 AM   |  #124  

45 posts
Update
Update: I purchased this power inverter just to try it out and wow, my dash mounted N7 is charging just as fast as it does at home now (1% / ~1.25min). Only problem I have now is some minor interference which I need to isolate (could be the amp remote wire, inverter interfering with the audio wires, or even the tablet itself). Once driving with music playing, it's not noticeable but with the car off and no music it's there...

Edit: I replaced the Asus N7 charger with the Samsung charger from my N10 and the interference has pretty much disappeared. I feel like I might hear it if listening closely, but I really can't tell at this point.

Here's a few pics:
Power Inverter + Samsung Charger
Battery Monitor Widget Showing ~30% / hr Charge Rate
Battery Widget Reborn Showing 1% / 1:35 Charge Rate

And if you're curious, RXS Type-S Dash Install Gallery
Last edited by fescen9; 27th February 2013 at 07:59 AM.
10th March 2013, 06:38 AM   |  #125  
Flag Tacoma
Thanks Meter: 390

698 posts
Donate to Me
More
I had what seemed to be a counterfeit HTC Dual Charger and it crapped out on me. I was in Walmart and saw a dual charger by ONN. Never heard of them but it was willing to give them a try for the $10 that it cost and I needed a charger. I am happy with it. I get a great 1A charge on each port so it charges the N7 and my Phone well in a decent time.
12th March 2013, 01:42 AM   |  #126  
Flag Southgate
Thanks Meter: 296

2,215 posts
More
When I moved from my apartment to where I live now I kinda mixed the ~7 or so USB cables I have...most of which are Samsung 2 being Motorola and 1 being my Nexus 7 cord. I really have no idea how to separate them or tell which one is for my nexus 7. I didn't think that the actual cable mattered, but was aware of different mA and such on the adapter's. Can someone post a picture of the Nexus 7 cable so I can differentiate it from my others since it seems to have an effect based off what you guys are saying. My nexus 7 charges very slowly, while I'm charging it on my note 2 adapter which I thought would charge it faster because I thought it had more mA.
12th March 2013, 01:44 AM   |  #127  

45 posts
The Nexus7 cable says Asus on one of the sides.
12th March 2013, 01:50 AM   |  #128  
Flag Southgate
Thanks Meter: 296

2,215 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fescen9

The Nexus7 cable says Asus on one of the sides.

Okay, I think if I remember right it is a bit on the short side as well, correct?
12th March 2013, 01:51 AM   |  #129  

45 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyredcorn

Okay, I think if I remember right it is a bit on the short side as well, correct?

Yeah, 3' IIRC.
12th March 2013, 03:51 PM   |  #130  
Thanks Meter: 28

81 posts
The Only Car Charger You Need for the Nexus 7
I've used so many different micro USB cables to charge my N7 no problem. The actual adapter, makes a big difference. Check the mA on your Note adapter, to see if it meets or exceeds the one for the N7 (2.1A I believe). I have a Playbook charger, with built in micro USB, that won't charge the N7, but BB is notorious for having annoying chargers and cables, among other things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread