5,600,429 Members 33,091 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Kernel] Lightning Zap Kernel (Updated 18OCT13)Blaze and Exhilarate

Tip us?

thomas.raines
Old
(Last edited by thomas.raines; 26th March 2014 at 02:24 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3136

DONATE TO ME
Default [Kernel] Lightning Zap Kernel (Updated 18OCT13)Blaze and Exhilarate

Thomas.Raines presents

The Lightning Zap! kernel for the Blaze 4G

ATTN:
I thomas.raines, nor it's affiliates claim responsibility for anything you do to damage, destroy, brick, explode, or otherwise mess up your device.

I revamped the Lightning Zap! kernel across the board. Since I have so many of them I was loosing where I was on each one. So I have now broken it down into 3 phases:
Phase 1: Introduction of LZ kernel to device
Phase 2: Fine tuning of tweaks, values, etc
Phase 3: Implementation of OC/UV
Phase 4: Continue updating and adjusting as necessary
From now on I will name the .zip accordingly as well:
Blaze_p2.1
On a good note, I think this latest update will finalize phase 2 and now I can work on OC/UV...

Features:
Improved performance
Improved battery life
Improved network speeds
Improved boot times
Smoother scrolling
Better responsiveness
Cleaner file systems
Governor tweaks for amazing speed and performance without sacrificing battery life
Improved Memory and Ram tweaks
Improved Internet speed
Amazing kernel tweaks, build.prop mods, init.d scripts and more!

Instructions:
Make a backup
Download .zip to PC
Transfer .zip to your sdcard
Or just download it straight to your phone
Reboot to recovery
Flash
Phone will automatically reboot after install**
Wait 10 minutes
Enjoy the Lightning Zap!

This kernel was tested on CM10 nightly. This kernel and tweaks will work with any version of CM10.

See 3rd post for further instructions on improving and customizing your Lighting Zap! experience.

**The first boots always takes the longest especially after a fresh install. If you pull a logcat during the first boot, you may see a few errors with the vacuum script. This is normal, and will be "fixed" after the phone has built the databases for the apps.

Please allow 24 hours after install and 1 full charge cycle before reporting results. Always provide me with a logcat with any issues you may experience.

Source Code:
kernel
msm8660-common_lz_kernel
vendor_lz-kernel (LZ vendor files for ROM compiling)
LZ Flashing Packages (For those of you just compiling the kernel)
Includes flashing script, binaries, etc for the Blaze, Nitro and Skyrocket

Special thanks to:
dr4stic for patching he cm kernel to work with our devices
xan for Voltage Control app
jenbek for donating
Remember, the thanks button is free, but it doesn't hurt to show a dev your appreciation by using the donate button...
My Works
SGS4G: Gummy Mutt, Original Lightning Zap, Lightning Zap Kernel, Gremlin Remover
Blaze 4G: Lightning Zap, ICS 1-Click Starter, OOPS, Quick Recovery, Lightning Zap Kernel
LG Nitro: Lightning Zap
Skyrocket: Lightning Zap! kernel
E4GT: Lightning Zap! kernel
The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to thomas.raines For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thomas.raines
Old
(Last edited by thomas.raines; 26th March 2014 at 02:20 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3136

DONATE TO ME
Default Download links and changelog

Download links and changelogs here:

Blaze_p4.4-5.zip
Nothing super spectacular here, just upstream maintenance
NOTE** Since we don't have a supported recovery, and I can't find enough info about it, I cannot add the dual boot feature.
Anybody that has some knowledge on making a custom recovery, particularly TWRP with dual boot, help me (KTEMP!)
Moved source to LightningZap github

Blaze_p4.4-4A.zip
Removed topology and mpdecision in 4.4-4, but found all the gov's work best with mpdecision so I added it back.
Adjusted CONFIG_NR_CPUS (number of cpu's) to cm default 999999 which causes the use of a CPU mask array. Small performance hit initially, but an overall vast improvement especially when multi-tasking.

p4.4-3
Merged from upstream
Added missing msm_mpdecsion blobs
All governors and schedulers seem completely stable now (Keep testing please)
Added True CD-ROM emulation interface (Not fully working on my computer. Need testers to verify with windows and linux) here is how to use it! (Special thanks goes to DooMLoRD and his doom kernel for the Xperia Z)
init.d scripts updated with new mount params
Enjoy!

p4.4-2
Raised vm_max_readahed to 4096.
Lowered default max cpu freq to 1512.
Changed min cpu freq to 384 to fix Lionheart and Gallimaufry instability.

p4.4-1
Fixed ability to change cpu frequency. Your changes now stick after closing app.
Used userdebug lunch option. Now if you have red border on screen, it's more than likely in the ROM. Talk to your ROM dev.
Possible fix for loss of su/root. (Let me know if you still loose it after flashing. I didn't have any issues this time.

Archived Changelog

Enjoy the Zap!
Remember, the thanks button is free, but it doesn't hurt to show a dev your appreciation by using the donate button...
My Works
SGS4G: Gummy Mutt, Original Lightning Zap, Lightning Zap Kernel, Gremlin Remover
Blaze 4G: Lightning Zap, ICS 1-Click Starter, OOPS, Quick Recovery, Lightning Zap Kernel
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to thomas.raines For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thomas.raines
Old
(Last edited by thomas.raines; 19th October 2013 at 06:09 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3136

DONATE TO ME
Default Exhilarate Download links

Exhilarate_p3-cm-10.2.zip

For changelog, refer to post above...for now...lol
My Works
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thomas.raines For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thomas.raines
Old
(Last edited by thomas.raines; 5th February 2013 at 06:23 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3136

DONATE TO ME
Default Source code notes

just add this to your local_manifest.xml:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
  <remote fetch="https://github.com" name="LZkernel" />
  <project name="TeamFahQ/msm8660-common_lz_kernel" path="kernel/samsung/msm8660-common" remote="LZkernel" revision="jellybean" />
  <project name="TeamFahQ/vendor_lz-kernel" path="vendor/lz-kernel" remote="LZkernel" revision="master" />
  <project name="TeamFahQ/lge-kernel-iproj" path="kernel/lge/iproj" remote="LZkernel" revision="android-msm-3.0-jb" />
  <project name="TeamFahQ/android_device_samsung_msm8660-common" path="device/samsung/msm8660-common" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />
  <project name="TeamFahQ/android_device_samsung_t769" path="device/samsung/t769" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />
  <project name="TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_samsung" path="vendor/samsung" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />
  <project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_celox-common" path="device/samsung/celox-common" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />
</manifest>
You MUST use my repo for the devices (as noted above) in order for LZ to build correctly. You will also need to manually copy the /scripts and modules to your directory where you zip things up. /system/etc/lzbp.sh is gone so make sure you remove the perms from your flashing script (Working on fixing this now)

Or (in terminal):
Code:
curl -L -o .repo/local_manifest.xml -O -L https://raw.github.com/TeamFahQ/Paranoid_manifest/master/local_manifest.xml
And remove the devices that you do not wish to use. Then repo sync. If you are using this as a basis for another device, make sure you check out the commits.
My Works
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thomas.raines For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Chitown021
Old
Thanks Meter 95
I hope this isn't a stupid question but if I continue to download nightly updates after installing will I have to re-install this kernel after each update?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S Blaze.

mytasteinwomen
Old
Thanks Meter 1
^ Yes, I believe so

htcclay
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 365
Default Thanks for sharing.

Here is a good app to show you how your CPU is behaving.
I use it daily. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1740622
Nexus 5
Jesus Christ is MY Lord and Savior.
1 John 3:16
The Following User Says Thank You to htcclay For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thomas.raines
Old
Thanks Meter 3136

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown021 View Post
I hope this isn't a stupid question but if I continue to download nightly updates after installing will I have to re-install this kernel after each update?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S Blaze.
Unfortunately, yes...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app
My Works
The Following User Says Thank You to thomas.raines For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Animosity
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Is there any chance that this will work with cm9?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using xda app-developers app

thomas.raines
Old
Thanks Meter 3136

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimsonChin View Post
Is there any chance that this will work with cm9?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using xda app-developers app
Quite possibly... the one I made for the sgs4g was reported that it does work on both cm9 and 10...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app
My Works