Testers wanted for PeerDeviceNet -sharing thru wifi, wifi direct and mobile hotspot
!!! updated 12/28/2012: add code to detect and use mobile hotspot to enable sharing among devices !!!
I'd like to invite people to participate an open testing session for app "PeerDeviceNet - sharing thru WiFi and WiFi-Direct".
It runs on android 2.2 and above. It is free at google play:
I have done tests using Nexus 7, Samsung Tab 2.0, Kindle fire(1gen), Galaxy Vibrant. I'd like more complete coverage of devices and vendors.
It supports 4 kinds of device-device connections:
1. for devices at the same wifi net: start PeerDeviceNet at devices simultaneously will allow them find and connect to each other automatically.
2. for devices which are all wifi direct enabled: from system preferences, you can setup wifi direct group connection; PeerDeviceNet will pick up this group info and connect devices in group automatically.
3. if only one device is wifi direct enabled: you can use PeerDeviceNet to create a softwareAP/hotspot at this device (PeerDeviceNet->Connection settings->Create wifi direct hotspot), other wifi devices can use generated ssid and passphrase to connect.
4. for devices with mobile hotspot, you can use mobile hotspot to connect devices and enable sharing.
It extends android's "share/send" feature to allow sharing of the following data:
1. photos/videos (single or multiple) (gallery), audios(astro, solid-browser, or other browsers)
2. web pages (browsers)
3. contact info(Contacts)
4. pdf, word docs (astro or other file managers)
5. apps (google play)
I'll highly appreciate it if you can spend some time installing the app and try out some of the above scenarios. If you encounter Force Closure, please post your device info, android version, or ROM info.