5,606,588 Members 35,110 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

** Remove The Locked & Hidden APNS & Tethering T-Mobile APN's! - New Updated XML **

Tip us?

ergibson83
Old
(Last edited by ergibson83; 30th October 2012 at 04:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 68
I can confirm this works on Wildchild's Xquizit ROM v36.

Until now, all the APN change suggestions floating around did not work for me. I was always able to connect to the hotspot, but I would get the T-Mobile error page.

This fix DOES WORK! I followed the steps for Option 1 install and I am currently sending this message from my laptop tethering off of my mobile hotspot. I had almost given up hope on tethering.

Is it ok for me to have Wild include this fix into his ROM?

Thank you for this fix!

*EDIT* If you port this fix into the ROM or if anyone applies the fix manually, MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT ATTEMPT to enable hotspot via the settings menu. This will overwrite the changes the fix made to your APN settings and you will get the Tmobile error page again. If this happens, just rerun the delete APN option APN Backup and Restore and then restore the APN fix file again, reboot and you should be good to go. Only enable hotspot via Wanam's hotspot toggle!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ergibson83 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

datafoo
Old
Thanks Meter 45
BTW this works regardless of kernal, stock or custom.

You must be a tmobile based tw rom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datafoo

Source file:
system/csc/customer.xml

Modify the following:
<Editable>yes</Editable> (from no)

<APN>epc.tmobile.com</APN> (from pcweb.tmobile.com)

<Profile>
<NetworkName>T-Mobile</NetworkName>
<Editable>yes</Editable>
<EnableStatus>enable</EnableStatus>
<ProfileName>T-Mobile Tethering</ProfileName>
<Auth>none</Auth>
<Bearer>ps</Bearer>
<Protocol>http</Protocol>
<Proxy>
<EnableFlag>off</EnableFlag>
</Proxy>
<PSparam>
<APN>epc.tmobile.com</APN>
</PSparam>
</Profile>
Modify your customer.xml and feature.xml

delete this line from feature.xml (this hides the APNs from view)
<CscFeature_Setting_HideApnList>pcweb.tmobile.co m</CscFeature_Setting_HideApnList>

change customer.xml as above.

My testing says at first boot these are hard coded to the system. I'm not able to get settings to stick post boot. Change these before flashing your rom and it should be permanent.

This changes routing overall, its permanent and even though you get an error in settings works fine if you toggle from the taskbar.
Quote:
Newtons 4th law - "If you run around a tree fast enough, you can inbox yourself"

elesbb
Old
Thanks Meter 3912

DONATE TO ME
I don't see how this works because as long as you are connected to T-Mobile service you are using THEIR data servers and unless you edit their programming on their servers to not sniff for the UA there is no special apn that is connected to T-Mobile which will bypass the sniffing. You can however use a VPN to encrypt your data packets.

For those who "claim" to have it working, you most likely are not on the truly unlimited plan or have not been blocked yet.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to elesbb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tw39515
Old
Thanks Meter 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb View Post
I don't see how this works because as long as you are connected to T-Mobile service you are using THEIR data servers and unless you edit their programming on their servers to not sniff for the UA there is no special apn that is connected to T-Mobile which will bypass the sniffing. You can however use a VPN to encrypt your data packets.

For those who "claim" to have it working, you most likely are not on the truly unlimited plan or have not been blocked yet.

correct im on an old mytouch data plan and it wouldnt work before the apn changes. but yes ive never been caught either.

AndroidInsomnia
Join us today
http://www.androidinsomnia.com/

farfromovin
Old
Thanks Meter 355
FWIW, I performed installation option 1 on my Tmo Note II to no avail. Wifi Tether does not work, built in hotspot does not work. I have been caught before and am now on the unlimited data package.
Tmobile Note 2- powered by XDA magic.

xero187
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromovin View Post
FWIW, I performed installation option 1 on my Tmo Note II to no avail. Wifi Tether does not work, built in hotspot does not work. I have been caught before and am now on the unlimited data package.
+1

datafoo
Old
(Last edited by datafoo; 31st October 2012 at 08:27 AM.) Reason: twinkie fingers trying to consolidate posts
Thanks Meter 45
Default It's a routing hack, plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergibson83 View Post
I can confirm this works on Wildchild's Xquizit ROM v36.

Until now, all the APN change suggestions floating around did not work for me. I was always able to connect to the hotspot, but I would get the T-Mobile error page.

This fix DOES WORK! I followed the steps for Option 1 install and I am currently sending this message from my laptop tethering off of my mobile hotspot. I had almost given up hope on tethering.

Is it ok for me to have Wild include this fix into his ROM?

Thank you for this fix!

*EDIT* If you port this fix into the ROM or if anyone applies the fix manually, MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT ATTEMPT to enable hotspot via the settings menu. This will overwrite the changes the fix made to your APN settings and you will get the Tmobile error page again. If this happens, just rerun the delete APN option APN Backup and Restore and then restore the APN fix file again, reboot and you should be good to go. Only enable hotspot via Wanam's hotspot toggle!!
BTW WildChild has added the hack I posted into his rom and we've fully got tethering working.

I posted more detailed instructions here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=2450

And further sent him this tonight to cleanup and make it easier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by datafoo
Couple quick things:

I've cleaned up the hack a bit. We can eliminate the pop-up error and make it simpler, eliminate some confusion.

In all cases tethering must be activated from the taskbar, modifications are made from within settings.

1. delete TetheringProvisioning.apk from the builds. I decompiled it and its not critical, it in fact causes the pop-up errors.

2. Add back:
Feature.xml
<CscFeature_Setting_HideApnList>epc.tmobile.com</CscFeature_Setting_HideApnList>

This will hide the new apn that's added each time you activate tethering. it neither enables or disables it.

3. Add back:
customer.xml

but with the original changes I made. This will make sure tethering routes through epc.tmobile.com. This file actually hard codes which gateway services use.

<Connections>
<NbProfileHandle>1</NbProfileHandle>
<ProfileHandle>
<NbNetProfile>2</NbNetProfile>
<ProfBrowser>T-Mobile US</ProfBrowser>
<ProfMMS>T-Mobile MMS</ProfMMS>
<ProfIntSharing>T-Mobile Tethering</ProfIntSharing>
</ProfileHandle>
<NbProfile>3</NbProfile>
<Profile>
<Editable>no</Editable>
<ProfileName>T-Mobile US</ProfileName>
<Auth>none</Auth>
<Bearer>ps</Bearer>
<Proxy>
</Proxy>
<PSparam>
</PSparam>
</Profile>
<Profile>
<Editable>no</Editable>
<ProfileName>T-Mobile MMS</ProfileName>
<URL>http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc</URL>
<Auth>none</Auth>
<Proxy>
</Proxy>
<PSparam>
</PSparam>
</Profile>
<Profile>
<Editable>no</Editable>
<ProfileName>T-Mobile Tethering</ProfileName>
<Auth>none</Auth>
<Bearer>ps</Bearer>
<Proxy>
</Proxy>
<PSparam>
</PSparam>
</Profile>
</Connections>

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb View Post

it's actually pretty simple. Let me help you understand. It involves 'routing'.

The default gateway that they try to enforce for tethering is pcweb.tmobile.com. As long as you are routed through that gateway they control tethering. If you change the default routing to epc.tmobile.com it's the same gateway all normal internet traffic is routed and they have no direct idea it's anything other than normal data traffic.

They will indeed still sniff the IE UA string but that's a simple fix both in IE by changing the UA string and or if you use Firefox, Chrome or any other browser which does not send the IE UA.

I'm hard blocked on T-Mobile with the 4G Unlimited plan. I've recieved the hard block push messages and verified it's blocked on my account.

For best results you should also remove 'TetheringProvision.apk'. I decompiled it and it's only there to re-add the pcweb route and pop the error if you dont have tethering on your plan. the customer.xml doc is the hard setting for the routing of GPS, MMS, Tethering and basic Web.

I've personally torn it down and tested it. It works. It's the same basic process we use on HTC.

Enjoy!
Quote:
Newtons 4th law - "If you run around a tree fast enough, you can inbox yourself"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to datafoo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mha1021
Old
(Last edited by mha1021; 31st October 2012 at 09:09 AM.)
Thanks Meter 22
Thanx Buddy finally after days got the Tethering on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

dirtybudha
Old
(Last edited by dirtybudha; 31st October 2012 at 09:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 260
Default Notes on my experince

Did method one here:
- I couldn't get TB or Rom Toolbox to convert the app to a system app, and Android Commander wouldn't see root even though I have root and an insecure kernel via debloated stock. I ended up copying the app to the system apps folder using Rom Toolbox Root Browser. This worked fine to move it.

- To "close" the app I had to go into settings and foce close it. Works every time.

I installed the "Tethering Widget" from the play store.

Update: Nope, started getting the webpages and such. Seems the tether stopped working.
BASTARDS!

(Note 2 - T889)
Dirty Budha
My Website
I'm a graphic designer and not a programmer, I understand how this can be confusing.
Hit "Thanks" if I said something informative or funny...or both.

Phone:
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N900T
Retired:
- Samsung Galaxy S4 M919
- Samsung Galaxy Note 2 T889
- Samsung Galaxy S2 T989
- HTC Vision ( T-Mobile G2)
- iPhone 4Gig (huge mistake)

"Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages."
-- Terry Pratchett "Wyrd Sisters"

yuugotserved
Old
Thanks Meter 11
It looks like Tmobile caught on. I was able to get 1-2 hours today on laptop until I was redirected to their hot spots page. So.... Is it all gone now?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
»Phone« T-Mobile Galaxy SIII (SGT-T999)
»ROM« Stock
»Kernel« Stock
»Rooted« Yes!
»Baseband« T999UVLH2
»Build Number« IMM76D.T999UVALH2
»Recovery« CMR 6.0.1.2
»Case« Diztronic Black TPU

The Following User Says Thank You to yuugotserved For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]