Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,124 Members 43,541 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] Flash Image GUI - Flash Kernels and Recoveries from normal Android mode!

Tip us?
 
DvineLord
Old
#11  
DvineLord's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 379
Posts: 1,287
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bedford, TX
[APP] Flash Image GUI
joeykrim main thread, you can also catch him on freenode in #gen-dev
You are an Idiot!
Trying to give a, Phone Idiot, Support
Hox wont turn in. HELP!

EVITA PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
CID-11111111
HBOOT-2.14.0000
RADIO-0.24p.32.09.06
OpenDSP-v34.1.0.45.1219
eMMC-boot
Nov 26 2012,18:37:14:-1
 
joeykrim
Old
#12  
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1260
Posts: 1,929
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Hu View Post
Will this work on other android devices?
I'm using Sony and figuring on how to enable this feature!!!
Haven't had any knowledgable Sony testers. If you are familiar with ADB and a custom recovery, send me a PM and we can setup a time to test. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henslo View Post
Add the epic 4g??
Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app
Partial support, as indicated in the application and in the market. Tricky situation with that kernel being in two partitions. I didn't own the device and didn't have a tester with enough time to work out the kinks. If you're familiar with ADB and a custom recovery, send me a PM and we can coordinate testing. Thanks!
 
ripnhack
Old
#13  
ripnhack's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 33
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: vacaville

 
DONATE TO ME
I'm loving this app I haven't used it for a ROM yet just kernels bit it makes it a breeze I bought 2 of them ( one for me on my account and one for the misses on hers)

Sent from my One X using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

I do have one request if possible can it have the ability to flash apps and what not

Sent from my One X using XDA Premium HD app
 
metalhead2791
Old
#14  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 120
Join Date: Sep 2012
This app is sweeeet! Sure saves a lot of hassle.

What exactly happens when you try to load a ROM zip and the app tries to zero in on the boot.img ? I see it loads a few lib files and finally flashes the boot.img as opposed to just pointing the app to the extracted boot.img and letting it flash it?
 
cmky8132
Old
#15  
cmky8132's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 6
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Paducah,KY

 
DONATE TO ME
This makes switching Roms a breeze on the Hox 2.20 users that have to use fastboot for boot.img. This is a great and time saving app. Thanks Joey!!!

Sent from my One X using xda premium
 
joeykrim
Old
#16  
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1260
Posts: 1,929
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripnhack View Post
I'm loving this app I haven't used it for a ROM yet just kernels bit it makes it a breeze I bought 2 of them ( one for me on my account and one for the misses on hers)

Sent from my One X using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

I do have one request if possible can it have the ability to flash apps and what not

Sent from my One X using XDA Premium HD app
Appreciate the support and positive feedback! Could you provide more detail along with your feature request? Perhaps could you link to an example set of "apps" you want the ability to flash? The more detail the better I can research and provide a good reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead2791 View Post
This app is sweeeet! Sure saves a lot of hassle.

What exactly happens when you try to load a ROM zip and the app tries to zero in on the boot.img ? I see it loads a few lib files and finally flashes the boot.img as opposed to just pointing the app to the extracted boot.img and letting it flash it?
Great question. I suppose I should provide more information around this process in a FAQ or some type of supportive documentation.
Due to common HTC kernel standards, the WiFi module, as well as a few other modules are loaded externally, meaning they are separate files from the boot.img. Some manufacturers compile WiFi and other modules into the kernel zImage file which is a large portion of the boot.img file.
Flash Image GUI loads not only the boot.img file, but also loads the associated modules to ensure, if just a kernel is flashed, WiFi will work when the device is rebooted. In dealing with ROM .zip files, if the user promptly reboots to the custom recovery and flashes the same ROM .zip, the modules will be loaded twice and this makes the FIG feature more a safety feature than a necessity. In the case the user doesn't flash the ROM .zip from the custom recovery, for whatever reason, this process ensures WiFi will work with the kernel preventing any WiFi not working issues.
Hope that makes sense and provides a little more background!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmky8132 View Post
This makes switching Roms a breeze on the Hox 2.20 users that have to use fastboot for boot.img. This is a great and time saving app. Thanks Joey!!!

Sent from my One X using xda premium
Appreciate the feedback and support!
 
InflatedTitan
Old
#17  
InflatedTitan's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1137
Posts: 2,762
Join Date: Jul 2012
So if Im switching ROMs... going from sense to aosp. I flash boot img using app, enter recovery, wipe data and system and flash rom? Would it delete what I just did with boot.img?

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2
 
joeykrim
Old
#18  
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1260
Posts: 1,929
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by InflatedTitan View Post
So if Im switching ROMs... going from sense to aosp. I flash boot img using app, enter recovery, wipe data and system and flash rom? Would it delete what I just did with boot.img?

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2
Short answer: No

Longer answer: The boot.img is essentially a kernel and a ramdisk that following android's standards and is stored in a partition labeled as "boot", on most devices. Wiping the partition labeled "data" and "system" and copying over the ROM which goes into "system" will not delete the "boot" partition.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for the support!
The Following User Says Thank You to joeykrim For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
InflatedTitan
Old
#19  
InflatedTitan's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1137
Posts: 2,762
Join Date: Jul 2012
Thanks bro! Trying to help my buddy with flashing ROMs on the fly since his computer pooped on him haha.. awesome job on this app.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2
 
ripnhack
Old
#20  
ripnhack's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 33
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: vacaville

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeykrim View Post
Appreciate the support and positive feedback! Could you provide more detail along with your feature request? Perhaps could you link to an example set of "apps" you want the ability to flash? The more detail the better I can research and provide a good reply.


Great question. I suppose I should provide more information around this process in a FAQ or some type of supportive documentation.
Due to common HTC kernel standards, the WiFi module, as well as a few other modules are loaded externally, meaning they are separate files from the boot.img. Some manufacturers compile WiFi and other modules into the kernel zImage file which is a large portion of the boot.img file.
Flash Image GUI loads not only the boot.img file, but also loads the associated modules to ensure, if just a kernel is flashed, WiFi will work when the device is rebooted. In dealing with ROM .zip files, if the user promptly reboots to the custom recovery and flashes the same ROM .zip, the modules will be loaded twice and this makes the FIG feature more a safety feature than a necessity. In the case the user doesn't flash the ROM .zip from the custom recovery, for whatever reason, this process ensures WiFi will work with the kernel preventing any WiFi not working issues.
Hope that makes sense and provides a little more background!

Appreciate the feedback and support!
Thanks for the response some apps would be the android 4.2 camera with the gallery the 4.2 keyboard with emoji heres a link to a few http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1970625

maybe custom boot & down animations (i usually disable mine but others may enjoy it)

That's all i can think of off the top of my head i hope that helps

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes