Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,501 Members 48,545 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Will miracast in 4.2 work on my old N7?

Tip us?

mcernvall
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Will miracast in 4.2 work on my old N7?

As announced, JB 4.2 will support miracast which allows display mirroring through wifi-direct. I donīt understand whether this feature require certain hardware, and my question is wheter this will work on my 16 GB Nexus 7 when it is updated to 4.2? Anyone know?

gbroon
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Tegra 3 supports it and it uses wifi direct so I'm confident it will be supported.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to gbroon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JustMatt
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I hope that's true. All the hardware indicates it is able to support it, but not necessarily that it will actually be made available. The Nexus 10 doesn't have the option for Miracast, despite having WiFi direct/Android 4.2.

sark666
Old
Thanks Meter 29
I don't get what all the worry about will it support it. The only hardware thing necessary is does the device have hardware encoding, and this does. Yes the N7 has wifi direct but ANY device could be upgraded to support wifi direct. It's not like wifi direct is some additional hardware on a wifi chip. Any wifi could technically support wifi direct.

So I would be really surprised if this doesn't support miracast. From what I've read the hardware encoder has a big influence on latency (as does the cpu). So one question that I would like answered is, how low is the latency? Movies/browsing etc doesn't really matter, but for gaming.

Has any article mentioned how low the latency is with miracast? This will vary from device to device of course, but even knowing for one device might give a ballpark of what to expect with the n7

WalkSoftly
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I can't believe miracast is not supported by the N10! Mind boggling...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

sark666
Old
Thanks Meter 29
yes I just read that. Does it not have hardware encoding? The nexus 4 definitely has miracast enabled but not the nexus 10?!

poisike
Old
Thanks Meter 240
Where is written that N10 doesn't support Miracast? I watched android developers hangout on YouTube a few days ago and if I remember correctly then they told both N4 and N10 support it. When someone asked about N7 they first told no, but then said they don't know for sure. Unfortunately YouTube is down, so I can't double check that at the moment.
LG Nexus 5 (Stock Android 4.4.2) x2
Asus Nexus 7 (Stock Android 4.4)
Asus Nexus 7 2013 (Stock Android 4.4.2)
Asus Nexus 7 4G 2013 (Stock Android 4.4.2)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 3G (Stock Android 4.1.2)
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 3G (Stock Android 4.1.2)

sark666
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Here:

Quote:
Miracast is the Wi-Fi Alliance's standard for wireless streaming of video, and its addition to Jelly Bean made us very excited -- Android finally has a response to AirPlay. Imagine our disappointment, then, upon learning that Miracast isn't supported in the Nexus 10, at least not yet. It is there in the Nexus 4, a perplexing state of affairs that Google wasn't able to give us much clarity on, but it does appear that this is not a hardware limitation, since all the communication takes place over WiFi. If Miracast isn't going to be software-enabled in every Android 4.2 device then we're struggling to see how it's actually part of the OS, and we're definitely feeling let down about its potential to improve the platform as a whole.
'

'http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/02/nexus-10-review/

It's not like the nexus 10 ships with 4.1.2. It comes with 4.2 but yet miracast is disabled?! But he's wrong about pointing out wifi as the potential hardware limitation. Everything has wifi (and could potentially support wifi direct as that is done in software) the hardware barrier is hardware encoding. Does anyone know the details of the chipset the nexus 10 has?

poisike
Old
(Last edited by poisike; 3rd November 2012 at 03:12 PM.)
Thanks Meter 240
Interesting... Cnet review says it is supported, but they didn't have a dongle to test it.
I believe even the Verge/Google video said it is supported, but again, I can't check that either at the moment. Why is YouTube down when you need it the most?

Does anyone know if Miracast supports audio only? I know that it supports audio and video, but what happens if I want to connect it to my AV receiver and use it for audio only?

Edit: YouTube works again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z92fwFQntG8 at 56:30 they say that both devices have HDMI and Miracast.

I think the software in review devices wasn't final. Some N10 review devices didn't have user accounts either, but the final software clearly will have that, so I believe its the same case with Miracast.
LG Nexus 5 (Stock Android 4.4.2) x2
Asus Nexus 7 (Stock Android 4.4)
Asus Nexus 7 2013 (Stock Android 4.4.2)
Asus Nexus 7 4G 2013 (Stock Android 4.4.2)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 3G (Stock Android 4.1.2)
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 3G (Stock Android 4.1.2)

WalkSoftly
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Does anyone know if Miracast supports audio only? I know that it supports audio and video, but what happens if I want to connect it to my AV receiver and use it for audio only?

Turn off your display and you have audio only

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

Tags
miracast, nexus7, update