Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,540 Members 38,613 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Adjust stylus sensitivity

Tip us?

madsquabbles
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 250
Default Adjust stylus sensitivity

if you're having problems with choppiness, light touches, or having to press hard for your pen to register a touch you can adjust the sensitivity easily.

this search for a fix started when i found my gn2 would stutter when getting into the "zone" and start randomly causing accidental touches. from the gn2 forums i found that the sensitivity can be adjusted via a potentiometer in the pen itself.

on my gn10.1 i found the pen too sensitive. in order to draw the thin lines i had to almost hover over the screen and in doing so i ended up with choppy thin lines. after decreasing the sensitivity i can now draw consistent thin lines after adding just a smidge of pressure.

to adjust the sensitivity you'll need to remove the cover of the click button. a razor should do the job. the fastener is on the back end (towards the samsung logo). a little upwards force and it'll pop off easily. after removing, you'll see two pots. the one on the left is the one you want to mess with (dunno what the one on the right does).

using a small screwdriver turn the pot clockwise 1/8 a turn at a time to decrease the sensitivity, counter clockwise for increase. find the setting that suits you the best and reassemble. this trick kept me from making a trip back to the sprint store and exchanging a phone (no replacement stylus yet).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPEN.jpg
Views:	3020
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1443804   Click image for larger version

Name:	pot.jpg
Views:	4281
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	1443805  
The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to madsquabbles For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

donec
Old
Thanks Meter 106
How did you find out about that?
Galaxy Note II 16Gb white unlocked and GNote 10.1 grey version GT-N8013 not rooted
Linux user #449322 running Linux Mint 13 KDE

madsquabbles
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 250
it was in the gnII forum. no pics there though. he just said pop off the button and adjust the left potentiometer. thought i'd elaborate a bit here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madsquabbles For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

banderos101
Old
Thanks Meter 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
if you're having problems with choppiness, light touches, or having to press hard for your pen to register a touch you can adjust the sensitivity easily.

this search for a fix started when i found my gn2 would stutter when getting into the "zone" and start randomly causing accidental touches. from the gn2 forums i found that the sensitivity can be adjusted via a potentiometer in the pen itself.

on my gn10.1 i found the pen too sensitive. in order to draw the thin lines i had to almost hover over the screen and in doing so i ended up with choppy thin lines. after decreasing the sensitivity i can now draw consistent thin lines after adding just a smidge of pressure.

to adjust the sensitivity you'll need to remove the cover of the click button. a razor should do the job. the fastener is on the back end (towards the samsung logo). a little upwards force and it'll pop off easily. after removing, you'll see two pots. the one on the left is the one you want to mess with (dunno what the one on the right does).

using a small screwdriver turn the pot clockwise 1/8 a turn at a time to decrease the sensitivity, counter clockwise for increase. find the setting that suits you the best and reassemble. this trick kept me from making a trip back to the sprint store and exchanging a phone (no replacement stylus yet).
Nice find, you should put this in the tips thread aswell

lm that guy
Old
(Last edited by lm that guy; 31st October 2012 at 02:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 279
cool find i actually adjusted sensitivity to where it "clicks" on screen without touching the screen. a features i have been wanting.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lm that guy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

younix258
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Awesome! I was looking for this for quite some time

After you take tthe button off, you can put it back on with no consequence correct?

Sent from my HTC Glacier running CM7

madsquabbles
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by younix258 View Post
Awesome! I was looking for this for quite some time

After you take tthe button off, you can put it back on with no consequence correct?

Sent from my HTC Glacier running CM7
yep, it just pops back on. put the little notch under the front (towards the pen tip) first then snap it back into place. i've done it with my gn2 and my gn10.1 s-pens so far. i'm pretty sure all wacom pens would be able to be adjusted the same.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madsquabbles For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sewhuy
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Just another little tip while removing the button. Place a piece of scotch tape on the bottom portion of the button. The first time I removed it with a razor blade, it went flying towards the kitchen. Luckily it landed in a dirty glass instead of down the drain.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sewhuy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rewrew
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Great tip!!

Could you please show some photos of the button?

Thanks!

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk 2

toenail_flicker
Old
Thanks Meter 212
Read the thread. Shots are there.