[RECOVERY/BOOTSTRAP] Safestrap for Kindle Fire HD 7" (ON HOLD)

OP Hashcode

31st October 2012, 08:07 PM   |  #11  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 2,402

4,020 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashcode

Yes. No flashing 1st gen device ROMs. Insta brick. Safestrap can't save you from that.

How hard would it be to add a check that makes sure no 1st gen. ROMs, or any ROMs that have modified files that would normally include signed headers, get accidentally installed?

For the most part I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem, but there are those who will try anyway, no matter how many warnings are given in bold red letters.

Not to mention there may be inexperienced (or heaven forbid, malicious) "devs" that might, inadvertantly or otherwise, modify a file with a signed header.
Last edited by soupmagnet; 31st October 2012 at 08:10 PM.
31st October 2012, 10:42 PM   |  #12  
Flag Cincinnati, OH
Thanks Meter: 849

891 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupmagnet

How hard would it be to add a check that makes sure no 1st gen. ROMs, or any ROMs that have modified files that would normally include signed headers, get accidentally installed?

For the most part I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem, but there are those who will try anyway, no matter how many warnings are given in bold red letters.

Not to mention there may be inexperienced (or heaven forbid, malicious) "devs" that might, inadvertantly or otherwise, modify a file with a signed header.

I believe that the final product will have such a check.
31st October 2012, 11:35 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 32

336 posts
Well that idea sounds like something twrp would have to integrate. But all the same, hash code, do you have a donation button, you are clearly a valuable member of this device development.

Sent from my Fire HD with root!
31st October 2012, 11:57 PM   |  #14  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 22,449

3,232 posts
Donate to Me
More
Testing Update: We have a solid boot after Safestrap installation which is a plus since we're now injecting the recovery splashscreen into the boot process.

My last test (#3) didn't have a working touch controller during the splashscreen, but I have test #4 ready which *could* load the touch driver and allow for entry, but since it's Halloween and we all have families, I won't know how that works till later tonight.

TODO: I'm working on re-doing the Safestrap theme for 800x1280. I had previously been running a 1280x800 theme but the screen is vertical not horizontal. So the layout will be more phone-style than tablet looking.

But even if it's the default TWRP theme with a few missing images, I'll know if we're in a usable state soon.

Verifying Device: I think we can turn on asserts before flashing ROMs. However, it could be that every single Kindle Fire device is named "blaze_tablet" or "blaze" so that might be less than useful. It will take some testing probably to come up with a solution. The Safestrap APK performs a model check when you click "Install Recovery" (KFTT == KindleFireHD-7) and instantly bails if that's not true, so at least you can't install the wrong devices' recovery.

On the donations: There should be a button under my name on any post which links to my paypal.

However, let's hold off donations till we see some actual results and have a working stock-based ROM to flash which devs can tweak w/o fear of bricking. At that point I'll call it a successful bootstrap/recovery and we can move on to AOSP builds.

I'm not against donations (tho I don't do this for money obviously), I just feel you should already have something in your hands and be happy with it before you give any hard earned money to a dev.
Last edited by Hashcode; 1st November 2012 at 12:01 AM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hashcode For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st November 2012, 12:20 AM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 12

199 posts
Donate to Me
First of all, thanks a lot for your effort. Wish I could donate but Im a minor and live outside US... so its hard to ask for "dollars" here..

One question: this will allow OTG usb somehow or not?

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium
Last edited by jailuis; 1st November 2012 at 11:55 AM.
1st November 2012, 12:28 AM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 0

21 posts
Thanks a lot for working so hard, Hashcode. The updates are really appreciated and I really hope you are successful in opening up the Kindle Fire HD/2,
1st November 2012, 05:32 AM   |  #17  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 47

129 posts
Donate to Me
More
This is something to look forward to, hope it works out.
1st November 2012, 02:32 PM   |  #18  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 59

333 posts
More
So you don't own the HD, hashcode? I will def. send a donation your way if you get this working!

I am trying to understand the way this will work. Is it a bit like a dual boot except with 4 roms? And one must always be running stock? And you can backup and restore all of them with twrp?
1st November 2012, 04:42 PM   |  #19  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 22,449

3,232 posts
Donate to Me
More
Yes, on all of the above.

I should point out that you may not actually want to run 4 ROMs due to emmc size limits (especially KF2).

I keep the stock ROM pure to protect our path to recovery.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hashcode For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st November 2012, 04:50 PM   |  #20  
Flag Richmond
Thanks Meter: 5

34 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashcode

Yes, on all of the above.

I should point out that you may not actually want to run 4 ROMs due to emmc size limits (especially KF2).

I keep the stock ROM pure to protect our path to recovery.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

Awesome work Hashcode. This sounds similar to how Android is run on the Touchpad. Keeps Webos in its own environment and dual boots Android. Can't wait!

The Following User Says Thank You to Tristanlogd For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread