5,815,061 Members 37,908 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] WIndows 8 licensing: can I install on more than one PC?

Tip us?

bobbyelliott
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [Q] WIndows 8 licensing: can I install on more than one PC?

I have been using Windows 8 for several months (preview versions) and recently downloaded the official RTM. I paid £24.99 for this, which I think is good value for money. I also think Windows 8 is an excellent OS. The best one yet from Microsoft.

My question is: how many PCs can I install WIndows 8 on using this single license? Is it only one? Do I have to pay £24.99 for each PC/laptop that I want to run it on?

The Windows 8 install files are on my PC (stored in a folder), can I copy these files to a memory stick and install Windows 8 on other devices that I own? I own several (desktop PC and three laptops).

Thanks in advance of your responses.

sohamssd
Old
Thanks Meter 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyelliott View Post
I have been using Windows 8 for several months (preview versions) and recently downloaded the official RTM. I paid £24.99 for this, which I think is good value for money. I also think Windows 8 is an excellent OS. The best one yet from Microsoft.

My question is: how many PCs can I install WIndows 8 on using this single license? Is it only one? Do I have to pay £24.99 for each PC/laptop that I want to run it on?

The Windows 8 install files are on my PC (stored in a folder), can I copy these files to a memory stick and install Windows 8 on other devices that I own? I own several (desktop PC and three laptops).

Thanks in advance of your responses.
You can use only one key for a pc. But you can use the same DVD for installation to other PC, just make sure that you use a different product key.

Sent from my HTC One V using xda app-developers app

LG Nexus 4
"You only live once" is not an excuse to throw life away.
The Following User Says Thank You to sohamssd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bobbyelliott
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by soham_sss View Post
You can use only one key for a pc.
I thought that that would be the case. Do you need a product key to install it or can you install without one and activate it within 30 days? And can it be extended for up to 120 days like Windows 7?

drupad2drupad
Old
Thanks Meter 627

DONATE TO ME
On the same lines - what if I want to swap PCs? i.e. my old PC doesn't have good enough resolution but my brother's PC does have require resolution for metro apps and snapping. Can I uninstall and go back to Windows 7 on mine and let him use my key on his PC?

BeADroid
Old
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Hi
For what it is worth, I was told be Microsoft rep, that I can use the key up to 4 times, and then it does not work anymore. You might call and just ask.
Riding the LTE waves on my unlocked Galaxy S3

aegixnova
Old
Thanks Meter 23
According to the Microsoft site:
Quote:
* Offer valid from October 26, 2012 until January 31, 2013 and is limited to five upgrade licenses per customer. To install Windows 8 Pro, customers must be running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.
and
Quote:
The promotional price is limited to one upgrade per PC and a maximum limit of five upgrade licenses per customer.
Now, does this mean that a customer can only buy 5 upgrades in their lifetime, or is each upgrade worth 5 licences?

chriwu
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegixnova View Post
According to the Microsoft site:
and

Now, does this mean that a customer can only buy 5 upgrades in their lifetime, or is each upgrade worth 5 licences?
I would assume that means you can only buy 5 upgrade-licences for the discounted price. Each license gives you right to one upgrade.
The Following User Says Thank You to chriwu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

junialum
Old
Thanks Meter 30
You can move the license to a new PC. Just call MS up if you have trouble. This has been the case for previous versions of Windows as well.
1 license on 1 pc at any time but movable.

Souldrinker
Old
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyelliott View Post
I thought that that would be the case. Do you need a product key to install it or can you install without one and activate it within 30 days? And can it be extended for up to 120 days like Windows 7?
Unfortunately they've changed that. Now you must supply a product key to be able to install. No more 30 day trials before you supply your product key or re-arming it.

They do have a 90 day trial version of Windows 8 enterprise, but it will expire after 90 days and can't be upgraded to a fully working versions, so you will have to reinstall a clean Windows version again after the 90 days pass...

bobbyelliott
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
That's a pity since many people have multiple machines now and the $40 (£25) would quickly mount up.

Tags
license agreement