Browse Your Files with Ease using MK Explorer

Google has made quite an effort in perfecting the powerful and multi-faceted OS that we know as … more

How to Fix the Nexus Available Storage Bug – XDA TV

Is your Nexus device only showing half of the available storage as it should? Many … more

Don’t Forget About Birthdays with Birthday Reminder

A person’s birthday is, without a doubt,one of the most important days in his … more

Don’t Fear Flashing with I Don’t Want You!

The XDA message boards are full of various modifications, with many of these helping … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] WIndows 8 licensing: can I install on more than one PC?

OP bobbyelliott

31st October 2012, 12:18 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Glasgow
Thanks Meter: 9

256 posts
More
I have been using Windows 8 for several months (preview versions) and recently downloaded the official RTM. I paid £24.99 for this, which I think is good value for money. I also think Windows 8 is an excellent OS. The best one yet from Microsoft.

My question is: how many PCs can I install WIndows 8 on using this single license? Is it only one? Do I have to pay £24.99 for each PC/laptop that I want to run it on?

The Windows 8 install files are on my PC (stored in a folder), can I copy these files to a memory stick and install Windows 8 on other devices that I own? I own several (desktop PC and three laptops).

Thanks in advance of your responses.
31st October 2012, 01:25 PM   |  #2  
Flag Android
Thanks Meter: 585

2,413 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyelliott

I have been using Windows 8 for several months (preview versions) and recently downloaded the official RTM. I paid £24.99 for this, which I think is good value for money. I also think Windows 8 is an excellent OS. The best one yet from Microsoft.

My question is: how many PCs can I install WIndows 8 on using this single license? Is it only one? Do I have to pay £24.99 for each PC/laptop that I want to run it on?

The Windows 8 install files are on my PC (stored in a folder), can I copy these files to a memory stick and install Windows 8 on other devices that I own? I own several (desktop PC and three laptops).

Thanks in advance of your responses.

You can use only one key for a pc. But you can use the same DVD for installation to other PC, just make sure that you use a different product key.

Sent from my HTC One V using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to sohamssd For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st October 2012, 05:11 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Glasgow

256 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by soham_sss

You can use only one key for a pc.

I thought that that would be the case. Do you need a product key to install it or can you install without one and activate it within 30 days? And can it be extended for up to 120 days like Windows 7?
31st October 2012, 05:46 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 627

1,598 posts
Donate to Me
More
On the same lines - what if I want to swap PCs? i.e. my old PC doesn't have good enough resolution but my brother's PC does have require resolution for metro apps and snapping. Can I uninstall and go back to Windows 7 on mine and let him use my key on his PC?
31st October 2012, 07:32 PM   |  #5  
Flag Indianapolis
Thanks Meter: 6

58 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hi
For what it is worth, I was told be Microsoft rep, that I can use the key up to 4 times, and then it does not work anymore. You might call and just ask.
1st November 2012, 06:02 AM   |  #6  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 25

83 posts
More
According to the Microsoft site:
Quote:

* Offer valid from October 26, 2012 until January 31, 2013 and is limited to five upgrade licenses per customer. To install Windows 8 Pro, customers must be running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.

and
Quote:

The promotional price is limited to one upgrade per PC and a maximum limit of five upgrade licenses per customer.

Now, does this mean that a customer can only buy 5 upgrades in their lifetime, or is each upgrade worth 5 licences?
1st November 2012, 12:40 PM   |  #7  
Flag Bergen
Thanks Meter: 4

11 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegixnova

According to the Microsoft site:
and

Now, does this mean that a customer can only buy 5 upgrades in their lifetime, or is each upgrade worth 5 licences?

I would assume that means you can only buy 5 upgrade-licences for the discounted price. Each license gives you right to one upgrade.
The Following User Says Thank You to chriwu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st November 2012, 07:50 PM   |  #8  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 30

131 posts
More
You can move the license to a new PC. Just call MS up if you have trouble. This has been the case for previous versions of Windows as well.
1 license on 1 pc at any time but movable.
2nd November 2012, 10:04 PM   |  #9  
Flag Kungälv
Thanks Meter: 97

356 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyelliott

I thought that that would be the case. Do you need a product key to install it or can you install without one and activate it within 30 days? And can it be extended for up to 120 days like Windows 7?

Unfortunately they've changed that. Now you must supply a product key to be able to install. No more 30 day trials before you supply your product key or re-arming it.

They do have a 90 day trial version of Windows 8 enterprise, but it will expire after 90 days and can't be upgraded to a fully working versions, so you will have to reinstall a clean Windows version again after the 90 days pass...
3rd November 2012, 05:15 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Glasgow

256 posts
More
That's a pity since many people have multiple machines now and the $40 (£25) would quickly mount up.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
license agreement
Previous Thread Next Thread