Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,571 Members 55,146 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][2.2+]Yet Another Auto Brightness

Tip us?
 
andrvo
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Posts: 52
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kiev
Default [APP][2.2+]Yet Another Auto Brightness

Yet Another Auto Brightness (YAAB)

A small open source application designed to enhance user control over screen brightness. Initially it was developed to make the screen as dim as possible to save battery on old devices. AND to provide a simplest possible user interface without any complicated calibration procedures and so on.

It is Beta version now. It has ascetic interface and very simple in use.

Source code, issue tracker and latest APKs are available here: http://bitbucket.org/gyrussolutions/yaab/

Google Play link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...biz.gyrus.yaab

Any feedback is highly appreciated, especially from other Android developers
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to andrvo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
IIIIkoolaidIIII
Old
#2  
IIIIkoolaidIIII's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 107
Posts: 369
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cardiff

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Tester initial impressions

A nice small download and a simple and clean interface. Started service and it immediately started dimming my brightness. A few points to begin with:

The manual slider does not seem to work as there was no change in the brightness.
It doesn't seem to alter the brightness in different lighting (unsure if it is supposed to do this or not from documentation).
It is making my screen too dim, I have a GT-I9300 and the auto brightness on it is excellent and always keeps my screen at the good readable and useable settings.

Will run for an hour or so now and update this with further thoughts then.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

Ok it's keeping my screen to dim to be usable so have had to uninstall for now. A few further points though:

Application Force Closes when you stop the serverce.

The manual slider does not work.

Handset - GT-I9300
ROM - Paranoid Android 2.51

OK log wouldn't upload, here's a link for it on dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbyfz33b7a...2-17-10-36.txt
Do not try to absolve me by some quirk of quantum physics.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505)
Nexus 7 2013 (Flo)

Twitter
Google+
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IIIIkoolaidIIII For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
andrvo
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Posts: 52
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kiev
Good report, thanks a lot.
Looks like the app incorrectly reads light sensor data on your device and thus brings brightness to minimum.
I'm working on the issue now.
The Following User Says Thank You to andrvo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
IIIIkoolaidIIII
Old
#4  
IIIIkoolaidIIII's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 107
Posts: 369
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cardiff

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrvo View Post
Good report, thanks a lot.
Looks like the app incorrectly reads light sensor data on your device and thus brings brightness to minimum.
I'm working on the issue now.
Let me know when you have a new version and will test again for you.
Do not try to absolve me by some quirk of quantum physics.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505)
Nexus 7 2013 (Flo)

Twitter
Google+
 
andrvo
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Posts: 52
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kiev
Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIIkoolaidIIII View Post
Let me know when you have a new version and will test again for you.
I did some research tonight and found out that many people have concerns about light sensor behaviour in your ROM.
I wrote a very simple app that shows sensor parameters on the screen and displays all subsequent updates received from the sensor.

APK is here: https://bitbucket.org/gyrussolutions...ader/downloads (sources are available there also)

It doesn't require changing settings and it will not attempt to change screen parameters also. Minimal discomfort

Could you please run it on your device and post here its output in a dark room and under strong light?

Thanks.
 
IIIIkoolaidIIII
Old
#6  
IIIIkoolaidIIII's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 107
Posts: 369
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cardiff

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrvo View Post
Hi!



I did some research tonight and found out that many people have concerns about light sensor behaviour in your ROM.
I wrote a very simple app that shows sensor parameters on the screen and displays all subsequent updates received from the sensor.

APK is here: https://bitbucket.org/gyrussolutions...ader/downloads (sources are available there also)

It doesn't require changing settings and it will not attempt to change screen parameters also. Minimal discomfort

Could you please run it on your device and post here its output in a dark room and under strong light?

Thanks.
Details bellow, Sensor name - CM36651 Light sensor

Darkened Room:
Accuracy 3, MAX 121240, last 0.0

Bright light:
Accuracy 3, MAX 121240, last 3700.0 (fluctuating around this point)

I've not read much in relation to sensor issues on this ROM, will do some digging myself now. Hope this information is useful to you.

B

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

I have just done some digging and found no Liight sensor issues mention in the CM10 threads or known bug list. There was a light sensor issues back in September for Paranoid Android but this was fixed back then. Where have you seen the information about peoples concerns with the light sensor?

I have attached a link to the CM10 known issues bellow.

http://teamhacksung.org/wiki/index.p...y:Known_issues
Do not try to absolve me by some quirk of quantum physics.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505)
Nexus 7 2013 (Flo)

Twitter
Google+
 
andrvo
Old
#7  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Posts: 52
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kiev
I saw several mentiones of light sensor problems here on the forum, like this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=2862 or this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=2862
Some other mentiones on other forums/blogs.

But anyway your readings are very good, so the sensor isn't a culprit any longer.
I just had to make sure that the app has valid input data and the problem is somewhere in the algorythms. Because in the log file you submitted yesterday contains very strange values.

Thanks again. I'm going on with my investigation.
The Following User Says Thank You to andrvo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
IIIIkoolaidIIII
Old
#8  
IIIIkoolaidIIII's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 107
Posts: 369
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cardiff

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrvo View Post
I saw several mentiones of light sensor problems here on the forum, like this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=2862 or this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=2862
Some other mentiones on other forums/blogs.

But anyway your readings are very good, so the sensor isn't a culprit any longer.
I just had to make sure that the app has valid input data and the problem is somewhere in the algorythms. Because in the log file you submitted yesterday contains very strange values.

Thanks again. I'm going on with my investigation.
Yeah those were two months ago and the bug was fixed in a few days, there have been about 10 version updates since then as well.

Let me know when you're new version is available and will test again.

B
Do not try to absolve me by some quirk of quantum physics.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505)
Nexus 7 2013 (Flo)

Twitter
Google+
 
kobredabre
Old
#10  
kobredabre's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 44
Posts: 94
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Novi Sad
Phone HTC Wildfire S (Marvel)

Works as intended on HTC Wildfire S (Marvel) 510e.
Brightness is applied 1/2 secconds after screen is on and with correct levels acording to the external light and manual adjusment seting.
I like the simplicity (pls don't change that) and, so far, I didn't noticed any bad impact on battery life.

I'm curently on custom SENSE 2.1 rom but I switch often so will test this one on them too.

Tnx,


Marvel A510e

Tags
free brightness
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes