Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,124 Members 38,848 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][2.2+] DroidXplorer, Wireless filemanager

Tip us?

MetalDroid
Old
(Last edited by MetalDroid; 21st November 2012 at 06:41 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Video [APP][2.2+] DroidXplorer, Wireless filemanager

I just published an early version of an app that allows you to browse and manage the contents on your device using just a webbrowser, the only requirement is that your device is connected to the same network as the computer or tablet you use to browse with.

The Video and Image galleries shows thumbnails, and if you have the correct plugins installed in your browser you can stream audio and video without downloading.

Here's a video clip featuring the web interface:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WzFWsIsDY4

And here are two screenshots of the server app and the web based user interface

Download from Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...op.droidxplore

If you decide to try it, please note that when you start the server it might take a while before the server is active, you will notice when notification icon "xp" is shown.

This is an early version, and if feedback shows it's worth it, I will implement ability to transfer files TO the device within a week.

I have only been able to test the app on an HTC Sensation with ICS, and an emulator running 2.2 so I can't guarantee it will work for everyone yet, just remember to send bug reports to me so I can fix all issues, if there are any.

Current features
- Browse contents
- View thumbnail galleries
- Download and Upload files from and to your device.
- Create folders, rename files and folders and delete stuff.

I would really appreciate feedback on this.
Thanks for reading.

Suggested plugins for your browser to get streaming from your device working:
Quicktime, http://www.apple.com/quicktime/?
VLC Media Player, http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MetalDroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kenkiller
Old
Thanks Meter 418
Pretty decent and fast, but quite a bit of wasted space. Maybe you also also direct us to some of the plugins to enable video/audio playback in browser.
The Following User Says Thank You to kenkiller For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jpmi23
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Not too bad actually. Streaming video seems to work well in Chrome. I'm excited to try this at home on my Google TV. That's the real test, in my opinion. Excited for some more features too.
Motorola Q9c | HTC Mogul | Samsung Moment | HTC Hero (CDMA) | Coby Kyros MID7015A | Viewsonic G-Tablet | Dell Streak 7 | Nexus S 4G (RIP Old Friend) | Epic 4G (P.O.S.) | HTC EVO 3D (P.O.S.) | HP Touchpad (16GB)
Samsung Galaxy SIII: VRUCML1... dammit
HTC Droid DNA: ViperDNA 3.5.0
Galaxy Gear: Null_23
Nexus 7 (2012) WiFi: CM11 Nightlies
ASUS Cube V2: Stock
Logitech Revue (x2): Stock (of course)

Google+ | Twitter | Youtube

drraptor
Old
Thanks Meter 294
Nice app.

Only Mp3 is being streamed. Even Mp4 starts downloading.
Press Thanks if I was helpful

[List][Guide] Official Samsung JellyBean Leak guides, Roms and Kernels

[Tutorial][Guide]Tips & Tweaks which Don't require Root

Push Samsung to release Exynos Source Code!

If you get your dropbox from here we both will win extra 500mb of storage. To utilize it please do Install the dropbox client on your device.

Got a dropbox? How about a lifetime free VPS (Private Server)!
The Following User Says Thank You to drraptor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MetalDroid
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Thank you for all the nice feedback guys, and what a great honor to be featured on the first page

I've already implemented the below mentioned features, but need to test them through some more before publishing on Play.
1) Renaming files and folder
2) Transfering files to the device, either one file at the time or you can transfer a zip and have it automatically extracted on arrival to the device.
3) Deleting files and folders

There's also a few minor changes, and bug fixes. All (apart from a few minor non-critical) strings are in the strings.xml, so if anyone feels up to translate to another language, drop me a note and I'll send you the xml needed.

The issue with non streaming is probably a mime type misconfiguration on my part, so I'll have a look at it for a coming release.

I know there's a lot of empty space when using the web interface on a larger screen, but I'm working more and more towards having the same interface fully functional for both stationary and smaller devices, there's probably a few glitches left for me to fix in that area though...

p.s. I'll have a look around for decent plugins for streaming to web browsers, if you know of any good ones, feel free to post them here and I'll edit my first post to include links.

Cheers guys, The update will be available later tonight or by tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to MetalDroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shadowdreamer
Old
Thanks Meter 0
smooth and fast. works better than some of the others out there. looking forward to the update

drraptor
Old
Thanks Meter 294
Feature request.

I can't close the app, it restart again and again.

If you get your dropbox from here we both will win extra 500mb of storage. To utilize it please do Install the dropbox client on your device.

MrWall
Old
Thanks Meter 4
downloading it now. I can't wait to give it a go tonight
Samsung Galaxy Note II
Kernel 3.0.31-414933
se.infra@SEP-79 #1
Build
JRO03C.1605VRALL4

drraptor
Old
Thanks Meter 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalDroid View Post
Thank you for all the nice feedback guys, and what a great honor to be featured on the first page

I've already implemented the below mentioned features, but need to test them through some more before publishing on Play.
1) Renaming files and folder
2) Transfering files to the device, either one file at the time or you can transfer a zip and have it automatically extracted on arrival to the device.
3) Deleting files and folders

There's also a few minor changes, and bug fixes. All (apart from a few minor non-critical) strings are in the strings.xml, so if anyone feels up to translate to another language, drop me a note and I'll send you the xml needed.

The issue with non streaming is probably a mime type misconfiguration on my part, so I'll have a look at it for a coming release.

I know there's a lot of empty space when using the web interface on a larger screen, but I'm working more and more towards having the same interface fully functional for both stationary and smaller devices, there's probably a few glitches left for me to fix in that area though...

p.s. I'll have a look around for decent plugins for streaming to web browsers, if you know of any good ones, feel free to post them here and I'll edit my first post to include links.

Cheers guys, The update will be available later tonight or by tomorrow.
Quicktime is one. VLC works sometimes.

The Following User Says Thank You to drraptor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HansiHusten
Old
Thanks Meter 24
This sounds really great but I am kind of afraid of using it in my company network.
I really would like to run it 24/7 in my private network to have access all the time to the content, but as soon as I arrive at work my mobile connects to the company wifi and would share it there. Is there any kind of password protection or anything similar?
Yeah of course I could disabled it manually, but I am lazy and I bet I will forget it sometimes.. and I guess tasker is no option for this, is it?
Or do I get it wrong that this 'service' is also working when the mobile is in deep sleep?!
Current Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Android 4.3 - Official stock rooted ROM | stock Kernel
Current Tablet: Samsung Nexus 10 - Android 4.4.2 - Official stock rooted ROM | stock Kernel
Additionally the Archos Gamepad 2 - Android 4.2.2 - Official stock rooted ROM | stock Kernel

Noteworthy Mobile history: HTC Universal | SE Xperia X1 | HTC Blackstone - Touch HD | HTC Leo - Touch HD2
Noteworthy Tablet history: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 3G