Ask a question

No registration required

[APP][2.2+] DroidXplorer, Wireless filemanager

OP MetalDroid

1st November 2012, 09:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 21

55 posts
I just published an early version of an app that allows you to browse and manage the contents on your device using just a webbrowser, the only requirement is that your device is connected to the same network as the computer or tablet you use to browse with.

The Video and Image galleries shows thumbnails, and if you have the correct plugins installed in your browser you can stream audio and video without downloading.

Here's a video clip featuring the web interface:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WzFWsIsDY4

And here are two screenshots of the server app and the web based user interface

Download from Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...op.droidxplore

If you decide to try it, please note that when you start the server it might take a while before the server is active, you will notice when notification icon "xp" is shown.

This is an early version, and if feedback shows it's worth it, I will implement ability to transfer files TO the device within a week.

I have only been able to test the app on an HTC Sensation with ICS, and an emulator running 2.2 so I can't guarantee it will work for everyone yet, just remember to send bug reports to me so I can fix all issues, if there are any.

Current features
- Browse contents
- View thumbnail galleries
- Download and Upload files from and to your device.
- Create folders, rename files and folders and delete stuff.

I would really appreciate feedback on this.
Thanks for reading.

Suggested plugins for your browser to get streaming from your device working:
Quicktime, http://www.apple.com/quicktime/?
VLC Media Player, http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
Last edited by MetalDroid; 21st November 2012 at 07:41 AM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MetalDroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th November 2012, 01:16 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 458

3,021 posts
Pretty decent and fast, but quite a bit of wasted space. Maybe you also also direct us to some of the plugins to enable video/audio playback in browser.
The Following User Says Thank You to kenkiller For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th November 2012, 03:21 PM   |  #3  
Flag Detroit-Metro
Thanks Meter: 33

328 posts
More
Not too bad actually. Streaming video seems to work well in Chrome. I'm excited to try this at home on my Google TV. That's the real test, in my opinion. Excited for some more features too.
6th November 2012, 04:16 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 294

1,285 posts
Nice app.

Only Mp3 is being streamed. Even Mp4 starts downloading.
The Following User Says Thank You to drraptor For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th November 2012, 05:01 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 21

55 posts
Thank you for all the nice feedback guys, and what a great honor to be featured on the first page

I've already implemented the below mentioned features, but need to test them through some more before publishing on Play.
1) Renaming files and folder
2) Transfering files to the device, either one file at the time or you can transfer a zip and have it automatically extracted on arrival to the device.
3) Deleting files and folders

There's also a few minor changes, and bug fixes. All (apart from a few minor non-critical) strings are in the strings.xml, so if anyone feels up to translate to another language, drop me a note and I'll send you the xml needed.

The issue with non streaming is probably a mime type misconfiguration on my part, so I'll have a look at it for a coming release.

I know there's a lot of empty space when using the web interface on a larger screen, but I'm working more and more towards having the same interface fully functional for both stationary and smaller devices, there's probably a few glitches left for me to fix in that area though...

p.s. I'll have a look around for decent plugins for streaming to web browsers, if you know of any good ones, feel free to post them here and I'll edit my first post to include links.

Cheers guys, The update will be available later tonight or by tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to MetalDroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th November 2012, 05:24 PM   |  #6  
Flag Brookyn
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
More
Thumbs up
smooth and fast. works better than some of the others out there. looking forward to the update
6th November 2012, 07:43 PM   |  #7  

1,285 posts
Feature request.

I can't close the app, it restart again and again.
6th November 2012, 07:44 PM   |  #8  
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 4

43 posts
More
downloading it now. I can't wait to give it a go tonight
6th November 2012, 07:45 PM   |  #9  

1,285 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalDroid

Thank you for all the nice feedback guys, and what a great honor to be featured on the first page

I've already implemented the below mentioned features, but need to test them through some more before publishing on Play.
1) Renaming files and folder
2) Transfering files to the device, either one file at the time or you can transfer a zip and have it automatically extracted on arrival to the device.
3) Deleting files and folders

There's also a few minor changes, and bug fixes. All (apart from a few minor non-critical) strings are in the strings.xml, so if anyone feels up to translate to another language, drop me a note and I'll send you the xml needed.

The issue with non streaming is probably a mime type misconfiguration on my part, so I'll have a look at it for a coming release.

I know there's a lot of empty space when using the web interface on a larger screen, but I'm working more and more towards having the same interface fully functional for both stationary and smaller devices, there's probably a few glitches left for me to fix in that area though...

p.s. I'll have a look around for decent plugins for streaming to web browsers, if you know of any good ones, feel free to post them here and I'll edit my first post to include links.

Cheers guys, The update will be available later tonight or by tomorrow.

Quicktime is one. VLC works sometimes.
The Following User Says Thank You to drraptor For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th November 2012, 06:23 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 24

276 posts
More
This sounds really great but I am kind of afraid of using it in my company network.
I really would like to run it 24/7 in my private network to have access all the time to the content, but as soon as I arrive at work my mobile connects to the company wifi and would share it there. Is there any kind of password protection or anything similar?
Yeah of course I could disabled it manually, but I am lazy and I bet I will forget it sometimes.. and I guess tasker is no option for this, is it?
Or do I get it wrong that this 'service' is also working when the mobile is in deep sleep?!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread