OP 0xD34D

1st November 2012, 08:35 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 2,047

459 posts
Donate to Me
More
I recently went searching for a collection of build.prop for any and all devices and although I could find build props for several devices, I usually needed to know some specifics about the device and then search google for the build.prop. This is all fine and dandy for finding a build.prop here and there but what I really wanted to find was a centralized location for any and all build prop files. Will this be useful? Who knows, but it's easy enough to gather this data and present it in a way that is easily searchable and open to the entire public.

With that goal in mind I have started by creating a very simple application that will allow a user to upload their build.prop to my server. I'll be working on the server side to make it possible for anyone to simply browse through the various build props that have been collected via this application.

Participating is as simple as installing the app and clicking a button. After successful upload of your build.prop you can simply uninstall the app. If you are game for participating then please check use the link below to download the app and submit your build.prop. Once I get the server side all set up I will update this OP and provide the url for where you can access the acquired build props.

DOWNLOAD
OpenBuildProp.apk

APP SOURCE CODE
https://github.com/0xD34D/OpenBuildProp

OpenBuildProp Site
http://openbuildprop.scheffsblend.com/

Thank you in advance to those that participate and contribute to my efforts in providing a central repository for device build props.

Last edited by 0xD34D; 4th November 2012 at 01:35 AM. Reason: adding link to site for viewing the build.prop files
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to 0xD34D For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st November 2012, 09:47 PM   |  #2  
Forum Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Taco Vendor
Flag Sequim WA
Thanks Meter: 8,064

3,861 posts
Donate to Me
More
Wow whoever thought of using an app to do this is truely a Genius!
The Following User Says Thank You to jcase For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd November 2012, 01:02 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 2,047

459 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcase

Wow whoever thought of using an app to do this is truely a Genius!

I agree and whoever offered to retweet about it and did not is a douche.

To be fair though, this isn't an entirely new concept. I have an app on the market that pulled specific fields from the build prop and would sync that up with a central DB if the user opted to do so. This goes a step further and collects the entire build.prop for later use, and for others to look up as well.
Last edited by 0xD34D; 2nd November 2012 at 01:04 AM.
2nd November 2012, 02:37 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 116

376 posts
Not a bad idea,shall submit soon, could this also be expanded to be used (in the near future) to edit the certain aspects of the build.prop automatically, ie; to adjust Ro.product.model from default to Galaxy Nexus or which ever phone model, to make certain apps work , ie camera , and then back to default if you wanted to. mere suggestions though
12th November 2012, 02:54 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 204

282 posts
Donate to Me
More
I forgot that I had a modded build.prop . I tweaked it to make use of the 4.2 camera. Please pull the "Google Nexus 4 sgh-i847". I'd hate to be spreading false information
12th November 2012, 03:47 PM   |  #6  
Flag Brooklyn
Thanks Meter: 36

275 posts
More
Fascinating I will be uploading mine as well, if I have a custom ROM will that change the build.prop in anyway?
12th November 2012, 05:06 PM   |  #7  
Flag nagpur
Thanks Meter: 190

374 posts
More
great idea ...
submitted mine ...
12th November 2012, 07:48 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Developer
New Orleans
Thanks Meter: 3,511

1,977 posts
Donate to Me
I have been thinking a bunch about how best to optimize the information in the build.prop. There are so many non-standard ways of doing things.

One of my projects probes and sorts devices based on their build.prop and I am constantly amazed at how wildly they differ. Even sorting CyanogenMod and CM kangs is difficult to do well. Sorting by build date took me a long time as well.

I have a feeling you are going to see a bunch of modified info, as some apps and users mod theirs and then forget. But maybe you have some sor of aggregation method that will eventually overrule bad data.

I find it maddening that the build.prop contains no standardized information about screen resolution, i.e. large-mdpi or xhdpi, etc.

I will be looking, thanks for trying to make some sense of this world. It won't always be like this, thankfully. I am glad you asked me to vent my frustrations while I was here...

Edit: I have maybe 80-100 random builds on my desktop at any given moment, for bunches of devices. Any plans for a web uploader or did I miss it?
12th November 2012, 09:09 PM   |  #9  
Flag Frankfurt
Thanks Meter: 3

38 posts
More
great idea! just submitted mine, hope many others will follow to make this collection successful.
12th November 2012, 10:17 PM   |  #10  
Flag Here & There...
Thanks Meter: 130

585 posts
More
Submitted mine and then realised after reading comments that it's tweaked, I went to your site to find it (under LT26i label). It contains v6 superchager data in the bottom of the file. Please remove it if needed.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
app, build.prop, database, open source
Previous Thread Next Thread