Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,832 Members 50,597 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[How to]--->Simple Guide to Better Battery Life

Tip us?

IXChicharitoXI
Old
Thanks Meter 183
Great thread thank you

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

mypenismighty
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I wanted to warn people that LBE Privacy Guard caused crazy boot loops for me. The reviews from the Play Store suggests that it's a Jellybean issue. Anyway, I was able to go into recovery, fix permissions, and force stop and uninstall before it went crazy again. Other than that, thanks for the great tips!

iwillkillyou
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Woodrube good post, I remember seeing this in the vibrant section. Keep up the good work mod.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
The Satanist from birth has a maturity which does not require supernatural or governmental parental figures.
The Following User Says Thank You to iwillkillyou For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Woody
Old
Moderator & RC/RT Committees - Particle Physics Gives me a Hadron - OP
Thanks Meter 8574
Thanks man. I ported the meat and bones of it over, but I added a ton of stuff specific to the SGS3, plus the sections about Governors and I/O schedulers.

If anyone reads this, I could use more OC/UV examples to put in the OP. It would be much appreciated.
<a href=http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif target=_blank rel=nofollow >http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif</a>
ZFFZ

I GPL I

"The work of men of genius, however wrongly directed, hardly ever fails to open the eyes of men to new possibilities."
- Dr. Victor Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

neim81094
Old
Thanks Meter 36
This is great, what really got me is how the phone doesnt automatically go to the best tower for the best signal, so I will defnitely start toggling airplane mode when I travel, thanks a lot for all this helpful information and apps that can help up save battery as much as possible!

Arlanthir
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Be sure to turn off Latitude updates in

Maps > Menu > Settings > Location settings > Location reporting > Do not update your location

masterex567
Old
Thanks Meter 1765

DONATE TO ME
Already on the portal.
Great Great Great!

Thanks a lot.
Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830: DroidACE
Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300: DroidS3

If you like my work, Donate to Me, Or Press that thanks button!
The Following User Says Thank You to masterex567 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Forever Justice
Old
Thanks Meter 167
Plus Post for anyone.....we seem to forget the things that kill us....back stab us the most when it comes to Battery Life!!

GOOD POST!!! VERY DETAILED AND INFORMANT!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Forever Justice For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tomaxda
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Great advice on the whole, but I don't agree with the stuff about app widgets.

Widgets don't use a bunch of resources just because they are widgets - I think you could almost say the opposite: the design of widgets allows them to be visible on your desktop without using any resources because the app code that controls the widget only needs to be loaded when the widget changes.

In the end, the resources used by an app widget depend on what it does and how it is designed - same as for any app. If your widget is supposed to go to the network and update some info for you every few minutes then this will drain your battery. However, there are tons of utility widgets that do nothing (and are not in memory) unless they are pressed or one of the phone states they are listening to changes (e.g. a radio is turned on).

Of course, a badly designed app will hurt your battery regardless. Personally I think apps need to get away from creating a custom Application object since these get instantiated whenever the system creates the app's (or app widget's) process, even if it is just to update a widget.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomaxda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Elite_
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Nice thread

Thxs for this nice thread Any ore would be appreciated.
I have learned a few things besides already being techy.
Nice to see whole lot of apps for android

Tags
battery, battery drain