FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[How to]--->Simple Guide to Better Battery Life

7,582 posts
Thanks Meter: 12,147

By Woody, Moderator Liaison & RC/RT Committee - Particle Physics Gives me a Hadron on 2nd November 2012, 03:57 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
5th November 2012, 02:52 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 202

More
Great thread thank you

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

6th November 2012, 08:28 AM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I wanted to warn people that LBE Privacy Guard caused crazy boot loops for me. The reviews from the Play Store suggests that it's a Jellybean issue. Anyway, I was able to go into recovery, fix permissions, and force stop and uninstall before it went crazy again. Other than that, thanks for the great tips!
8th November 2012, 08:26 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Woodrube good post, I remember seeing this in the vibrant section. Keep up the good work mod.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to iwillkillyou For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th November 2012, 02:53 AM |#14  
OP Moderator Liaison & RC/RT Committee - Particle Physics Gives me a Hadron
Flag Immersed in Dark Matter
Thanks Meter: 12,147

More
Thanks man. I ported the meat and bones of it over, but I added a ton of stuff specific to the SGS3, plus the sections about Governors and I/O schedulers.

If anyone reads this, I could use more OC/UV examples to put in the OP. It would be much appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th November 2012, 03:18 PM |#15  
Flag Brooklyn
Thanks Meter: 36

More
This is great, what really got me is how the phone doesnt automatically go to the best tower for the best signal, so I will defnitely start toggling airplane mode when I travel, thanks a lot for all this helpful information and apps that can help up save battery as much as possible!
10th November 2012, 01:22 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Be sure to turn off Latitude updates in

Maps > Menu > Settings > Location settings > Location reporting > Do not update your location
10th November 2012, 02:14 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 1,805

More
Already on the portal.
Great Great Great!

Thanks a lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to masterex567 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th November 2012, 04:07 PM |#18  
Flag Piqua
Thanks Meter: 171

More
Plus Post for anyone.....we seem to forget the things that kill us....back stab us the most when it comes to Battery Life!!

GOOD POST!!! VERY DETAILED AND INFORMANT!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Forever Justice For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th November 2012, 04:33 PM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Great advice on the whole, but I don't agree with the stuff about app widgets.

Widgets don't use a bunch of resources just because they are widgets - I think you could almost say the opposite: the design of widgets allows them to be visible on your desktop without using any resources because the app code that controls the widget only needs to be loaded when the widget changes.

In the end, the resources used by an app widget depend on what it does and how it is designed - same as for any app. If your widget is supposed to go to the network and update some info for you every few minutes then this will drain your battery. However, there are tons of utility widgets that do nothing (and are not in memory) unless they are pressed or one of the phone states they are listening to changes (e.g. a radio is turned on).

Of course, a badly designed app will hurt your battery regardless. Personally I think apps need to get away from creating a custom Application object since these get instantiated whenever the system creates the app's (or app widget's) process, even if it is just to update a widget.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomaxda For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th November 2012, 05:27 PM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Nice thread
Thxs for this nice thread Any ore would be appreciated.
I have learned a few things besides already being techy.
Nice to see whole lot of apps for android
10th November 2012, 08:35 PM |#21  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer / XDA Portal Team
Thanks Meter: 8,370

More
I disagree about the widgets part.
Sure, putting them for the looks (e.g. putting a huge clock widget when your lock screen and status bar already show that info) might be useless and redundant, as you say.
But other widgets (e.g.quick notes, schedule widgets, maybe even a news widget that syncs once a day) are perfectly understandable, especially for some home configurations that prefer simplicity.

As an example, I'll give my home screen: it consists of three pages, one of them is empty, the other two contain three widgets: notes, schedule and news (syncs once a day automatically). The dock contains 5 items, each of them has one or two gestures assigned. The dock's middle icon opens the app drawer, divided into several tabs.
In order to open each of these widgets' apps' screens that interest me, it would take me between two and four clicks and one or two swipes to get there.
Considering I use them regularly (the notes and schedule widgets, a few times times a day [3-5 each] and the news widget, once or twice), it would be way faster and more efficient to have the widgets instead of removing them or replacing them with icons (should I do that, it will still take me one to three clicks to get where I want, plus the loading time).

Plus what Tomaxda said about widgets.

Also, I'd suggest adding Tasker to your list of apps. It's not for the lazy people, but I can get it to do all of what the apps you listed do.

Sorry for the block of text. Great guide.
Last edited by GermainZ; 10th November 2012 at 08:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GermainZ For This Useful Post: [ View ]

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
battery, battery drain
Previous Thread Next Thread