5,596,784 Members 48,288 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Damn it - Nexus 10 has light bleed!!!!

Tip us?

Jayrod1980
Old
Thanks Meter 592
Default Re: Damn it - Nexus 10 has light bleed!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermoid View Post
The iPad is awesome. I think Android is probably a more feature-rich OS but iOS is still good and of course very smooth. It is a little bit smoother than my N10 which itself is very smooth but I dunno, the N10 feels a little more rigid (?) or something. I think the touch tracking is slightly closer to 1:1 on the iPad which makes it feel a bit silkier.

I miss a few things like the fixed nav-bar with back and recent apps buttons (especially the back button!) but the iPad has some neat features the N10 doesn't like the whole-hand gesture for closing apps and I like the default keyboard a bit more on the iPad. Screen-wise I can just about see a difference between 300ppi and 264ppi with the two tablets side-by-side but the iPad is still super sharp so it's pretty irrelevant to be honest. iPad colours are more vivid but the N10 has whiter whites. 4:3 ratio is better for web browsing but not as good for watching stuff... that said I much prefer watching videos on my iPad simply because there's no yellow discolouration in the corners. I also find the playstore a bit easier to navigate than the appstore. Battery life is way better on the iPad.

It's hard to say which is better, really. If they were the same price I'd say the iPad is probably a little better...but as they aren't I'm not too sure.
The N10 would be much better value for money than the iPad if I could have got one with decent build quality, but as it is I'm fairly content with paying 80 extra to get a device with no screen or wifi issues.

My next challenge is obtaining a return parcel for my 2nd N10 from Google, I've requested it several times over the last 2 weeks and despite repeated assurances from them that I'll get it soon, I have still received nothing...
You get11 hours of battery life on the ipad? Lowest I'm getting with AOKP pub 4.2.2 and the latest trinity was 8 hours screen time with a day and a half standby and 2 hours playing vice city in addition to the other 6 hours browsing. I will say the iPad is more defect free and much better screen QC but as I've said a million times... The screen is jacked because of the chassis design. The hardware and concept care great with this device. If it was a little more heavy and rigidly made this bad boy would be the best tab on the market hands down. I will say I wish with this device size that it used a 4:3 form factor, but that's just me. I don't watch as many movies etc as I do playing and browsing etc. The iPad has a less unwieldy tablet form factor that makes better use of space not counting movie playback. Maybe I'll purchase one of those archos iPad knockoffs.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium

brees75
Old
(Last edited by brees75; 25th February 2013 at 01:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 250
Well I bit the bullet and got the light bleed app today. Had the N10 since Thursday, of course loving it. I see slight bleeding on both of the shorter sides at 100% brightness on black. All the other solid colors in the app are are perfect, perfectly consistant color everywhere even in the areas with bleed.

My question is: If there is light bleed does that mean there is a manufacturing issue that could rear its head down the road in 6 months or a year?

I will probably never have it like that in daily use with the exception of the end of a movie or a switch to cutscene in a game for a brief second so I can live with it but if its a defect then I will take it back.

Thanks to any who respond

brees75
Old
Thanks Meter 250
I want to thank everyone who responded to my dilemma, you have all been a godsend!!!

On a serious note, for anyone else in my shoes I just want to say that I am keeping it, don't want to risk getting one that is worse and quite frankly I couldn't be happier with the quality of the screen, absolutely amazing. I actually have 2 nexus 7s one for my wife and one for me so I do have something else to compare it to. Not to mention my mother in law has an iPad and she is amazed at it as well. Peace

zuujin
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
but the iPad has some neat features the N10 doesn't like the whole-hand gesture for closing apps
Maybe you want to take a look at GMD Gesture Control if you have root

Zuujin

lagnis
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefalkon View Post
The WiFi cut out constantly it made streaming a simple youtube video unbearable, websites would not load, I could not download anything and don't get me started about trying to watch a Netflix movie. Since I already had several previous ones that worked fine on my WiFi I knew it was not a software issue. If it was just a few times a day I would still have that unit.
I've experienced the same Wi-Fi issue BUT i think it relates both (1) to my internet service provider (10 MBPS Verizon DSL)...When I tether via Wi-Fi to my Nexus 4 over T-Mobile HSPA+ I am able to stream the same content that was stuttering, dropping, cutting out over the Wi-Fi... and (2) to the demands of the pixel density as I can steam OK via the DSL when I de-select the HD toggle in YouTube. What do you all think?

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1980 View Post
You get11 hours of battery life on the ipad? Lowest I'm getting with AOKP pub 4.2.2 and the latest trinity was 8 hours screen time with a day and a half standby and 2 hours playing vice city in addition to the other 6 hours browsing. I will say the iPad is more defect free and much better screen QC but as I've said a million times... The screen is jacked because of the chassis design. The hardware and concept care great with this device. If it was a little more heavy and rigidly made this bad boy would be the best tab on the market hands down. I will say I wish with this device size that it used a 4:3 form factor, but that's just me. I don't watch as many movies etc as I do playing and browsing etc. The iPad has a less unwieldy tablet form factor that makes better use of space not counting movie playback. Maybe I'll purchase one of those archos iPad knockoffs.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium
Folks if it makes anyone feel better I had my mom's iPad in my hands the other day and I decided to check it for light bleed. Boy oh boy did it have light bleed. I couldn't believe it. I also couldn't believe there isn't an app to test this in Apple's walled garden. This is related to the display technology, an inherent flaw I think.

siraltus
Old
Thanks Meter 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagnis View Post
Folks if it makes anyone feel better I had my mom's iPad in my hands the other day and I decided to check it for light bleed. Boy oh boy did it have light bleed. I couldn't believe it. I also couldn't believe there isn't an app to test this in Apple's walled garden. This is related to the display technology, an inherent flaw I think.
It's not even that it has light bleed, because almost every LCD has some uneven backlighting around the edges.

It's that our bleed is PISS YELLOW, so it stands out like bird **** on a black shoe.

killerapl
Old
Thanks Meter 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraltus View Post
It's not even that it has light bleed, because almost every LCD has some uneven backlighting around the edges.

It's that our bleed is PISS YELLOW, so it stands out like bird **** on a black shoe.
So i was watching a movie in a dark room with the wife last night and early into the movie she says "you need to clean your screen". "The bottom left hand corner especially since it has that yellowish bright smudge" I then explained to her that its not dirty or has a smudge but it has something called light bleed. Her response "and you didn't return it and ask for a new one?!?!" SMH!!!!!

CRimsonEagle
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Mine too...

I too have slight light bleed, and a creeky back. I returned but the replacement was even worse. Google's RMA was flawless though. They just don't send you a fixed product.....

heaiser
Old
Thanks Meter 7

Finally! After 7 returns the play store has sent me a device with such minimal light bleed that I am happy with it. Now... time to un root my original and ship it back.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

TechGeekDK
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
in general or were you asking someone in particular?

My Nexus 10s left and right, my (very faintly visible) iPad 4 in the middle. Yes, I bought an iPad rather than go for a third Nexus 10 , I feel filthy and ripped off but Google customer support was driving me to despair.

Obviously the iPad brightness is dimmed to lowest brightness on the pic and the 2 nexus is cranked up in brightness which makes your comparison pretty useless.