Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,679 Members 40,214 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Damn it - Nexus 10 has light bleed!!!!

Tip us?

Kookas
Old
Thanks Meter 42
What is the brightness of the screen, anyway?

whoster69
Old
Thanks Meter 12
There is a firestorm going on over at Engadget over this review. The same reviewer wrote the iPad mini review and fawned over it but nitpicks the Nexus 10. Engadget has been deleting posts that point out the flaws in the review (and back it up with evidence).

I wouldn't put too much stock in this review, but it's always a good idea to be skeptical.
The Following User Says Thank You to whoster69 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Alexpride
Old
Thanks Meter 3
What is exactly "light bleed"?
The Following User Says Thank You to Alexpride For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BoneXDA
Old
Thanks Meter 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexpride View Post
Background light inconsistency.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BoneXDA For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kookas
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexpride View Post
When the spread of the backlight is uneven, so parts of the screen are brighter than others.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kookas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

testulous
Old
Thanks Meter 29
I always thought light bleed was the presence of light when there shouldn't be any. Like when you're watching a movie in portrait view, and the black bars on top and bottom show light. That's why I haven't wasted much time with IPS in the last couple years ever since discovering Samsung's AMOLEDs. Uneven backlighting is a different and even worse artifact, and again it only affects non-AMOLED screens.
Captivate SGH-i896, Galaxy i9000, Galaxy Tab 8.9 SGH-i957, Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800, Galaxy Note i717, Galaxy Note N7000
Note 2 i317 (AKA the perfect phone) | Nexus 7 | Nexus 10 | Nexus 4 | Galaxy S4 M919
GOODBYE HALO

MultiLockOn
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by testulous View Post
I always thought light bleed was the presence of light when there shouldn't be any. Like when you're watching a movie in portrait view, and the black bars on top and bottom show light. That's why I haven't wasted much time with IPS in the last couple years ever since discovering Samsung's AMOLEDs. Uneven backlighting is a different and even worse artifact, and again it only affects non-AMOLED screens.
Seems like they both have pros and cons. Amoled displays have high risk of tint, I experienced this in my s2 for about a year until I finally got a replacement. This one portrays whites much better, or at least now it does. Aside from that you have all benefits, thin capacitive touch layer, vibrant colors (I don't give a **** if they're over saturated, they look great and that's what matters), no risk of light bleed, and huge potential battery savings. In my personal opinion I would take an amoled panel any day. I mean, displays like the super lcd2 in the one x are brilliant, but come on,, have you seen the note 2 on dynamic settings ?
Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

mi7chy
Old
Thanks Meter 270
Wished Samsung had gone with SAMOLED. Without a backlight there's no backlight bleed, ghosting, uniformity, etc. issues.

Croak
Old
Thanks Meter 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi7chy View Post
Wished Samsung had gone with SAMOLED. Without a backlight there's no backlight bleed, ghosting, uniformity, etc. issues.
The technology is not there yet, nor is the economy. They simply can't produce a 2560x1680 OLED panel, 10" or otherwise, at a price anyone would be willing to pay.

Look at the PenTile "tricks" they have to pull on Galaxy phones as an indicator of how they're struggling with the tech, look at the very high cost of the Tab 7.7 to see how expensive it gets when you increase size, and to further reinforce that look at the ludicrous price of their big screen SAMOLED televisions compared to LCD and plasma.

Give it a few more years, it'll be feasible, and Samsung is surely working very hard on the problem, since they have a lot invested in pretty much owning the OLED market.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Croak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

The-Kevster
Old
Thanks Meter 53
You're right. This is going to be the best 10" screen for the next 6-12 months. Yes it won't look as good as the screen on my S3 but I will be more than happy with it.

8 days and counting!

Hopefully a PCWorld/Currys near me will have it ready to take away!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2