Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,958 Members 52,159 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW TO] Root, Unroot, Hotspot, Roms, Tips and more! 11/11/12

Tip us?

sling
Old
(Last edited by sling; 6th November 2012 at 01:33 AM.)
Thanks Meter 931

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDawgTrap View Post
I read somewhere about Samsung devices having a counter or something (so Samsung can know if you root i believe). Do these root methods up the counter or is what is the deal with that? sorry for being so uniformed, I have only had HTC and Motorola phones.
You can use triangle away to reset counter after root but after you flash rom count will increase to value 1 .
From that point Triangle Away wont reset count which is bad news for those that use AllShare Cast Wireless Hub.
Hub does not work with flash count value 1.

From there only way to reset count is to flash stock tar
T-Mobile Galaxy S5 G900T
ROOT: CF-Auto-Root (HERE)
RECOVERY: [klte][CWM Advanced Edition] PhilZ Touch (HERE)
ROM:BeansTown106 - G900TUVU1ANCH 4,4,2 STOCK DEODEX (HERE)
[SlingMods]
ATT Data Icons-v1 (HERE)
SMS/MMS Screen Wake Control-v1 (HERE)

fy00zhen
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default daemon still not running error

Any one else getting this?

phungshum
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default OTA update, need to unroot first?

Hello,

So I did select option 2 for rooting, with no custom recovery and I wanted to know, when I do get this new OTA update for multiview, will I need to unroot first or should it install with no problems? I am assuming I'll probably lose root after I update with the OTA. Thanks again!

qbking77
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 5111

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by phungshum View Post
Hello,

So I did select option 2 for rooting, with no custom recovery and I wanted to know, when I do get this new OTA update for multiview, will I need to unroot first or should it install with no problems? I am assuming I'll probably lose root after I update with the OTA. Thanks again!
Should be able to install with no issues at all if you have stock recovery
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/qbking77

http://www.qbking77.com

pdane
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by qbking77 View Post
Should be able to install with no issues at all if you have stock recovery
QBKING77,

Thanks for all of your videos. I routinely check out your Youtube sight before I do anything to my phones.

I am running the stock ROM and am not rooted. Will I be able to root my device if I accept the OTA or should I root first and then flash a pre-rooted stock Rom with the OTA? I have nothing against rooting, I just don't have the time right now, but I don't want to have to wait weeks until someone figures out how to root the new OTA ROM if it can't be rooted right off of the bat.

Thanks again.

Tw1sted247
Old
Thanks Meter 821
Hey qbKing77, I have been checking out your videos on Youtube and those along with this thread have been very helpful. I am looking to root my Sph-L900 but I am new to rooting. One question is I love all the S-Pen functions and options. What options will keep this while rooting? Should I just root and keep a "Stock ROM" or can I bring in something like JellyBomb or Blazer (preferably JB cause I love the Customization he has done with it.). As of right now I'm not looking to lose those functions, also if i flashed that JB ROM after an OTA update will the Multiwindow be available or wait for an update to the ROM itself?

Again new to it, and I understand the guidelines of the Forum I am no noob to forums or tech just to rooting itself.

Thanks

Chuck_IV
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sling View Post
You can use triangle away to reset counter after root but after you flash rom count will increase to value 1 .
From that point Triangle Away wont reset count which is bad news for those that use AllShare Cast Wireless Hub.
Hub does not work with flash count value 1.

From there only way to reset count is to flash stock tar
So if I use QBKing77's "Unroot" method, that will reset everything(aka unroot), this will also reset the counter to 0? And if I wanna go back, just reroot again?

I am coming from HTC phones(my last 3 were a Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2 and EVO 3D) so just as BDawgTrap, I am unfamiliar with the counter that Samsung uses.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck_IV For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PrO...
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Thank you for all your helpful videos,I'm now a subscriber.I do have a question though,I'm rooted with option 3 and wanted to DL the newest sprint OTA system update.What needs to be done to do so?
ROMs are like assholes, if you have bugs you should've wiped more!

plokm
Old
(Last edited by plokm; 12th November 2012 at 07:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I just got the note 2 today and my phone already have LJC install...how do i root form there?

Chuck_IV
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by plokm View Post
I just got the note 2 today and my phone already have LJC install...how do i root form there?
You should be fine doing it the same way as if you had the prior firmware.

I had already manually added the LJC build to my unrooted note 2 and just did the rooting process and it went smoothly.

I am now rooted.