Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,206 Members 43,631 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Hacking the Boxee Box (Violates GPL)

Tip us?

jebise101
Old
(Last edited by jebise101; 28th August 2013 at 12:57 AM.) Reason: UPDATE
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 117
Default Hacking the Boxee Box (Violates GPL)

Well I'm looking for some talent to get the Boxee Box bootloaders unlocked so we can put custom firmware on it and/or XBMC. Boxee is based of of XBMC which is opened source yet the Boxee Box is closed and violates the GPL, see here for more info.

Not only that but they have lied again and again to there customers are now since it has reached EOL, and will only provide one more minor update before they put the maintenance tag on it. People requested they open the box but Boxee still refuses, the firmware still feels like a beta yet they think it's good enough. The firmware is a beta at best and it will become an expensive paperweight soon enough, actually it is for most of UK that have lost all online content. Before that happens to everyone i'm hoping one of you step up

The hardware is good just the software is utter crap, I'm sure if i can get some interested developers we soon will be free of Boxee's strong hold. I don't think there security is that good, we have some great talent here at xda and i'm sure it will be hacked rather easily. We already have root (see here) access its just a matter of time and the right people.

This is a company that has given the middle finger to every customer that has supported them, and i think its will be SWEET SWEET justice to have it hacked.

I have started a bounty thread in the Boxee forums so please do consider this. Hopefully i can get some interest and some donations for you guys.

UPDATE August 27th 2013

Thanks to the Samsung/Boxee buyout we are left with a broken product. I happy Sammy purchased them as it had so much potential and i'm sure we will see great future products. But for the Boxee Box its just junk now, but thanks to the hard work of "quarnster" he was able to get XBMC booting on Boxee. I ask if any dev's are willing to lend him a hand with the port and hardware acceleration.

Source
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jebise101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DreamFX
Old
Thanks Meter 379
would love to this boxee box running custom content.....its been rooted in the past and being rooted again isn't going to magically generate interest.....i agree that it can be hacked and should have been by now i just don't think enough ppl have them...

jebise101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 117
I think all we really need is talented dev, because there s demand for it. I would for sure donate to prolong its life.

jebise101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 117
bump

DreamFX
Old
Thanks Meter 379
Everybody go bump bump bump.

TwiztedDotNet
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Aside from the (sometimes) lacking ability to shut down via remote, I have had no real issues with my Boxee Boxes (I have two).
I'm running the most current (non-beta) firmware, and use them to stream netflix as well as various media on my NAS. Although I'd love for this to be fully opened up, I see no real issues with the current performance. Don't get me wrong - I am all for unlocking and going fully custom, but these devices are working for me just fine.

I started off with XBMC (almost a decade ago) when I soldered my Xecuter 2.3b lite chip into my original xbox.
After that, I went a little crazy and equipped each room of my house with one (some chipped, some softmodded). But then HD took over, and the processors just couldn't hang... So I retired my clan of Microsoft hardware and picked up my first Boxee Box. It was fully functional right out of the box, and yes it has had its share of issues, but they seemed to always get worked out. I quickly started to prefer the Boxee layout to XBMC and still feel that way. Not to mention the RF/QWERTY remote (although back-lighting would have been nice). - Rii Mini works just fine for that.

Enough of the history rambling... I'd support this - especially since Boxee has turned its back from the Box, and moved on to a lesser device. I have no intention on picking up a BoxeeTV - the IR remote is the FIRST (of many) issues I have with it.
Device: AT&T SGS2 Skyrocket (SGH-i727)
Current Rom: NexusMod 4 (GB)
Current Kernel: AT&T/Rogers dag .42 1.83GHzOC

Previous Rom: NexusMod ICS Beta 3
Previous Kernel: 3.0.8-perf-I727UCALC4-CL240689
Previous Modem: UCAL4
The Following User Says Thank You to TwiztedDotNet For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jsievert
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Just a heads up, there is already some movement on this front with Boxee+.
forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=64648
boxeeplus.com
The Following User Says Thank You to jsievert For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

masterbeta
Old
Thanks Meter 0
actually they are not violating the gpl

you can customize the "look" of boxee box - but cannot remake the firmware since it's signed....

if anyone is reading this - i believe the best method of approach is to access it's boot console (i believe it uses redboot) - method i have tried is direct ethernet connection and the boxee box is at 192.168.0.1 port 9000 - usually you access the console by hitting ctrl+c - i haven't tried ctrl+a though (i found ctrl+a within an iso file - for minicom) - the ctrl+alt+del seems to "freeze" or pause the boxee box.... and no i cannot check at the moment... lol

there is a 2-second window only for the redboot however, i can't find it

good luck

oh, and curious as this is:

from buildinfo:
build by root@bamboo-agent-13-ota on Fri, 02 Mar 2012 05:36:33 +0000
boxee 1.5.1.23735
ce_plumb dd2cb6584bd70454ebc4451d414f1ed77bb42b2f

and preflight.sh:
#!/bin/sh

# this is preflight.

# dump kernel
logger -t bxrec.preflight -s -p 0 "dd'ing kernel"
dd conv=sync if=/dev/spectra of=/tmp/kernel.img bs=256k skip=20 count=12

# hash it
logger -t bxrec.preflight -s -p 0 "hashing kernel"
kmdfive=$(md5sum /tmp/kernel.img | cut -f 1 -d " ")
logger -t bxrec.preflight -s -p 0 "kernel md5 hash is $kmdfive"

# if version 1 kernel, copy kernel.1 to kernel.img
# if version 2 kernel (hatung), copy kernel.2 to kernel.img
# else unknown kernel, use dumped version and note hash in mr. wong for support pickup
case $kmdfive in
"9f2ed11d55a3750019d019470212bf36") cp /tmp/upgrade_iso/kernel.1 /tmp/kernel.img;;
"a81c639b7c21d98fdde0b55d4e5356c1") logger -t bxrec.preflight -s -p 0 "doing nothing, this IS kernel.1";;
"d2ed7f9be38c0e0590a5680febd27502") cp /tmp/upgrade_iso/kernel.2 /tmp/kernel.img;;
"68777d9a8fede193ed434cf9a9cd3495") logger -t bxrec.preflight -s -p 0 "doing nothing, this IS kernel.2";;
*) echo $kmdfive >/data/.persistent/.mrwong/boxee.khash;;
esac
logger -t bxrec.preflight -s -p 0 "sync'ing"
sync;sync;sync
logger -t bxrec.preflight -s -p 0 "and we're outta here"
return

anyway... without accessing the box itself before it loads it's internal normal.img (ext2) and dlink_boxee_runtime.img (squashfs) - you are sol

the boxeeplus community is at least "hacking" - so does this mean boxee company is finally getting hacker interest?

Vision77
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Default My 2 pennies....

Boxee won't open source the box supposedly due to concerns from content providers. 1st off they are closed-sourcing a product which is based off of the hard work of the open sourced XBMC community. What really kind of sucks is that people who invested in the box are pretty much being left out in the cold. I invested in the box because I thought Boxee had the potential to be at the forefront of innovation for media boxes (which in some regards it was). Boxee needs to take a page from Google's playbook. Open source the box and benefit. Or, stagnate innovation and die....its your move Boxee. The set-top media box market will only continue to get more and more crowded. Why not have an army of innovators who will make your current and future products better.
GS2 Rooted/various roms/awaiting CM9 & MIUI
T-Mo G2X (rooted/MIUI)
T-Mo Vibrant (Given to the girlfriend)
Bionix 1.3.
NEXUS ONE (lost/stolen)
Black G1 (retired)

Unlocked iPhone 3G JB'd 3.1.2 (given to my lil cousin)
Htc Tytn(Retired)

Knowing is not enough, we must apply.
Willing is not enough, we must do. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thanks to all of the devs, modders, etc, who are willing to share their knowledge so that others may learn and apply it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vision77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

daytonka
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision77 View Post
Boxee won't open source the box supposedly due to concerns from content providers. 1st off they are closed-sourcing a product which is based off of the hard work of the open sourced XBMC community. What really kind of sucks is that people who invested in the box are pretty much being left out in the cold. I invested in the box because I thought Boxee had the potential to be at the forefront of innovation for media boxes (which in some regards it was). Boxee needs to take a page from Google's playbook. Open source the box and benefit. Or, stagnate innovation and die....its your move Boxee. The set-top media box market will only continue to get more and more crowded. Why not have an army of innovators who will make your current and future products better.
I absolutely agree with you. Desperate situation.