[DEVS only] Unpacking RAZR i boot images

Search This thread

zainifame

Aug 26, 2015
Lampung
Lenovo K900
Samsung Galaxy Fame
@osm0sis sorry sir mentioning you... just wondering few years ago i give the sample image for lenovo k900 i forgot the sample is signed or unsigned but seeing your research i assume the sample i give you is unsigned... so... i just want give the proper file here to research with signed file contain $OS$ on all header... because lenovo k900 only have 4.2 and 4.3... thank you sir

Last edited:

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
@osm0sis sorry sir mentioning you... just wondering few years ago i give the sample image for lenovo k900 i forgot the sample is signed or unsigned but seeing your research i assume the sample i give you is unsigned... so... i just want give the proper file here to research with signed file contain $OS$ on all header... because lenovo k900 only have 4.2 and 4.3... thank you sir
Thanks, yes it was unsigned. Should work already though, did you try repacking it with mboot/AIK?

zainifame

Aug 26, 2015
Lampung
Lenovo K900
Samsung Galaxy Fame
Thanks, yes it was unsigned. Should work already though, did you try repacking it with mboot/AIK?
Sorry for late respond... Already try unpack & repacking it was smooth but i'm not able to flash it to the phone to test boot or not because my lenovo k900 dont know where

Try it with all signed image from all android version lenovo k900 421, 422, 43
On all signed image bootstub was 4kb and yes all intel from android 43 below was 4k bootstub and 44 above was 8k bootstub... But i didnt find this 8 byte 'BD 02 BD 02 BD 12 BD 12' hex on all lenovo image signed or unsigned but on some intel phone with ICS android that hex is present but not all phone... Just curious about that...

And this old... but nice explanation

This old one too

Almost forgot... I try unpack 'bos_signed' from razr i jellybean and failed after seeing with hexedit the image have royax signature 480 byte the rest was same like boot and recovery i guess

I dont know what is 'bos_signed' file but i guess its same like lenovo k900 'pos.bin'

I have all sample image from all intel platform smartphone android here:

I'm interest on something like this but have no knowledge... Trying to understand but nothing...

zainifame

Aug 26, 2015
Lampung
Lenovo K900
Samsung Galaxy Fame

Attachments

• razri.PNG
    razri.PNG
    42 KB · Views: 10
  • zf5droid_1.PNG
    zf5droid_1.PNG
    63.6 KB · Views: 9
  • zf5droid_2.PNG
    zf5droid_2.PNG
    11.7 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: osm0sis

zainifame

Aug 26, 2015
Lampung
Lenovo K900
Samsung Galaxy Fame
Some of those are bootloader files, so likely no kernel or ramdisk to unpack

there is kernel and ramdisk inside both file above... here:
Code:
zenfone 5 android L firmware
24 4F 53 24 00 00 01 AB | boot
24 4F 53 24 00 00 01 23 | recovery
24 4F 53 24 00 00 00 25 | droidboot
                 |  |
after change it to 01 AIK can unpack and repack the droidboot.img

RAZR i android JB firmware
after remove 480 byte "RðŸåx" signature from bos_signed AIK can unpack and repack the bos_signed see screenshot bellow

Attachments

• a.PNG
    a.PNG
    84.9 KB · Views: 9
  • b.PNG
    b.PNG
    40.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

wairrior

Oct 23, 2016
Thanks for this post. I can build and download boot.bin for my ramos i9 z2580 pad now. The boot.bin is signed by intel tool isu. Since mainline linux no longer supports SFI, can we do anything with bootstub, pxe loader or droidboot to load zImage with a device tree? ARM SoC supports zImge appended with dtb. Can we do the same thing on this x86 platform?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've seen you haven't been able to unpack the boot images so I investigated a bit on this "weird format" Moto used. This is what I could figure out by looking at the image and the bootstub code Motorola released:

Code:
    0x00000000 kernel CMDLINE, filled with zeroes where unused
    0x00000400 bzImage size
    0x00000404 initrd size
    0x00000408 SPI UART suppression
    0x0000040B SPI type (0: SPI0, 1: SPI1)
    0x00001000 future stack for bootstub (?)
    0x00002000 actual bzImage start
    On the boot image I grabbed from the root post, using the awesome "hexdump" tool we can see at 0x400

Code:
    60 a8 46 00 90 6c 1a 00
    Which means (remember x86 is Little Endian) bzImage size 0x0046A860 (~4.5MB) and initrd size of 0x001A6C90 (~1.65MB)

So let's go to the practical side:

0x00002000 + 0x0046A860 = 4638816

Code:
    $ dd if=razr_i_boot.img of=ramdisk.cpio skip=4638816 bs=1
    $ zcat ramdisk.cpio|cpio -i

gzip: ramdisk.cpio: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
    8927 blocks
    $ ls
    android.fstab  dev               init.moto.usb.rc  init.sc1.rc      init.wifi.rc  ramdisk.cpio  system               ueventd.smi.rc
    charger        init              init.moto.usb.sh  init.sdcard1.rc  init.xmm.rc   res           ueventd.goldfish.rc  xbin
    data           init.goldfish.rc  init.nfs.rc       init.sdcard2.rc  lib           sbin          ueventd.rc
    default.prop   init.moto.rc      init.rc           init.sdcard.rc   proc          sys           ueventd.sc1.rc
    Code:
    $ dd if=razr_i_boot.img of=bzImage skip=8192 count=4630624 bs=1
    $ file bzImage 
    bzImage: Linux kernel x86 boot executable bzImage, version 3.0.8-g229e199 (hudsoncm@il93lnxdroid52) #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep, RO-rootFS, root_dev 0x806, swap_dev 0x4, Normal VGA
    Ta-da! Unpacked. It wasn't that hard really :p

Now, is there interest on a tool to repack/unpack these images? I don't own the phone (and probably won't, no $$ :() but if there's enough interest I can make one, it should be relatively easy.

EDIT: Okay, so I wrote a pair of tools to unpack existing images and package new images, you can get them at

https://github.com/turl/razr-i-boot-tools

Just run "make" to build the tools, the usage is really simple
    Code:
    $ ./pack 
    Usage: ./pack <valid image> <bzImage> <ramdisk> <output>
    From left to right, an already existing boot image (to copy bootstub from, it could be built from source on the future), the kernel, the gzipped cpio ramdisk and the output filename

Code:
    $ ./unpack
    Usage: ./unpack <image to unpack> <bzImage out> <ramdisk out>
    From left to right, the image you want to unpack, and the destination files for bzImage and ramdisk. You can then unpack the ramdisk with something like
    Code:
    $ mkdir ramdisk-unpack
    $ cd ramdisk-unpack
    $ zcat ../ramdisk.cpio.gz|cpio -i
    And then repack it with something like
    Code:
    $ find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip > ../newramdisk.cpio.gz
    Okay, so I wrote a tool to package images, check the edit on the first post and let me know how it works. I'll make another one to unpack current images when I get some more time :)
    Well, it turns out I fail when programming on the late AM :p

https://github.com/turl/razr-i-boot-tools/commit/34f618b5cb2d6fb4b4c7d8affb194113a0b11270

Update/reclone your tools repo, rebuild it and try again. Rebuild your ramdisk image too, just in case the tool corrupted it.

Updated tools, rebuilt tools, rebuilt ramdisk....

6.5 MB newboot.img now.

Boot animation....
    Booted!

Yat71.png

Where's your donation link? :)
    Ta-da! Unpacked. It wasn't that hard really :p

Now, is there interest on a tool to repack/unpack these images? I don't own the phone (and probably won't, no $$ :() but if there's enough interest I can make one, it should be relatively easy.
    Making it look so simple ;)

I really appreciate you taking the time to look at this, especially since you don't even have the device. I definitely have interest in a tool if at all possible. I'd donate and encourage others to as well :)
    Updated tools, rebuilt tools, rebuilt ramdisk....

6.5 MB newboot.img now.

Boot animation....
    Booted!

[image]

Where's your donation link? :)

Awesome! I just wrote the unpack tool by the way, same repo. Check the first post for more info and let me know if you have any issues with it.

I also completed the "donate to me" box on the XDA profile for those looking for it :)