5,599,190 Members 36,032 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] DIY smallest Micro USB OTG to USB Adapter

Tip us?

Capt.PP
Old
(Last edited by Capt.PP; 29th November 2012 at 04:09 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 84
Storage [GUIDE] DIY smallest Micro USB OTG to USB Adapter

Update: v.2! (half a penny)

Inspired by this video/OTG, pass to 0:47. Which I couldn't find one to purchase. This L design when plugged in is a bit smaller than a penny. No welding needed! Use (female USB for game controllers, mouse, ect). Designed with a case-on in mind.
======

You'll need 3 parts for hardware. Micro USB OTG, Micro SD reader, ofcourse Micro SD card and a software of your choice to run it. I don't root so I'm using Nexus Media Importer.

Be safe and wear gloves. You don't want to get hurt for this mod.
======

Step1: Cut in the middle of the left or right side of Micro USB OTG. Be careful, use glove on the hand to hold it down. (note: the OTG link that i provided is the exact one that I used to mod, but you can find the cheapest parts from Amazon or Ebay, ect.).

Step2: Peel out the inner part of the OTG.

Step3: Cut the part closer to the Micro USB completely off (with wires still intact). Carefully peel the wires to the far end of the USB female. Then cut the rest of the plastic off like in the picture.

Step4: Turn the Micro USB end to make a L shape like in the picture. I used glue gun to clued it together. You can use electrical tape if you like. Enjoy!

**I'm not holding reliable for any injuries or broken parts from this mod, do it at your own risk**
This is the original size of the device when it's plugged in, it's about 3 size of a penny in length.

Step1-3
aaaa

Step4

================================================== ==================================

Version 2 still retained female USB for mouse and game controller or a case in mind.

==========
You'll required soldering, glue gun or electrical tape. (note: this version is a challenge to make. If you think you can solder the wires into the small spaces on micro USB's bins then proceed or you can make version 1 which required no soldering)

==========

Step1: Strip micro USB and female USB completely. (any spare female USB from old devices will do. Make sure you have the right micro USB end like in the diagram if you decided to get a spare)

Step2: Measure the wires as needed from micro USB to female USB. Then pre-cut the outer layer of the wires so you can bend at 90 degree angle with ease when wiring the wire along the sides. (careful don't cut the wires inside). Next, strip a few millimeter from both ends of the 4 wires.

Step3: I suggest to lay the 4 wires on top; along the micro USB and solder it in the pins. (though I didn't realized this obstruction was a big deal until it resulted in a bump on my model when wiring it downward). Curve your stripped end of the wires for easy soldering. A trick I used to solder the wires to micro USB is putting a thin foil paper in between 2 pins. After you're done, remove it and repeat until you're done.

Step4: Lay your micro USB on top of the solder point of the female USB at 90 degree to shape the L. (make sure no metal part of the micro USB touches the female USB sholdering point. You can lay it on top of the female USB but it will add a few millimeter thickness). Follow the diagram to solder all wires to the female USB.

Step3

aaaa v.2 when plugged in it's half a size of a penny. You're seeing USB plugged into the OTG with microSD inside.

**Credit to redgreenlaser for diagrams**
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Capt.PP For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ddlooping
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Thanks for the "how-to", Capt.PP.

quizface
Old
(Last edited by quizface; 6th November 2012 at 12:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Thank you, with your suggestion, and pictures, I can also put the USB behind the tablet as a U, and maybe make it smaller without the USB (male and female) only the card reader

Aleemz
Old
Thanks Meter 89
I like it!

It's quite similer to the one I made:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-26_15_52_34.jpg
Views:	5312
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	1461462   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-26_15_48_18.jpg
Views:	6943
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	1461463  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aleemz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ddlooping
Old
(Last edited by ddlooping; 6th November 2012 at 04:18 PM.) Reason: typo
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleemz View Post
I like it!

It's quite similer to the one I made:
Cool, Aleemz, how did you make yours?

Maturola
Old
(Last edited by Maturola; 6th November 2012 at 04:21 PM.)
Thanks Meter 38

DONATE TO ME
If you want to make it smaller and you are going to the trouble of handsoldering and hot glueing, you can just get the Micro USB Plug

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksea...words=609-4051

Remove the USB shield, solder the Plug Directly to the USB traces, and Hot glue around it, you can reduce the size by half (maybe even more)
Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!
AT&T Galaxy SIII White - CM10 nightly - Made by SAMSUNG, Fix by CyanogenMod Team
LockedUSB Adapter - USB Charger Firewall & Power Optimizer for Mobile Devices - Website - @lockedusb - Kickstarter Campaign

ddlooping
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturola View Post
If you want to make smaller it and you are going to the trouble of handsoldering and hot glueing, you can just get the Micro USB Plug

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksea...words=609-4051

Remove the USB shield, solder the Plug Directly to the USB traces, and Hot glue around it, you can get reduce the size by half (maybe even more)
Cool.

Maybe you should make some and sell them to those of us who don't have the necessary skills/gear/time...

Maturola
Old
Thanks Meter 38

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlooping View Post
Cool.

Maybe you should make some and sell them to those of us who don't have the necessary skills/gear/time...
I'm trying to do just that with my Indiegogo campaign.
Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!
AT&T Galaxy SIII White - CM10 nightly - Made by SAMSUNG, Fix by CyanogenMod Team
LockedUSB Adapter - USB Charger Firewall & Power Optimizer for Mobile Devices - Website - @lockedusb - Kickstarter Campaign

ddlooping
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturola View Post
I'm trying to do just that with my Indiegogo campaign.
Nice one.
I'd rather use a USB flash drive but I've contributed nonetheless.

kickofthecat
Old
(Last edited by kickofthecat; 6th November 2012 at 07:05 PM.) Reason: typo
Thanks Meter 2
Storage DIY smallest Micro USB OTG to USB Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.PP View Post
This is the original thread but it doesn't show how to make one. The purpose of this thread so I can do Q&A more direct without colliding with other topics in the original thread.
I think that, if I were to make one of these, I would make it in a "T" shape after removing the male and female USB connection, with the opening for the micro sd card facing in whatever direction seems best, so long as the card and its holder are parralel to the side of the device that the micro USB port is on. That way the whole thing would stick out no more than 5/16th's to 3/8th's of an inch when plugged in to the micro USB port and the protruding top cross part of the "T", that being the part with the micro sd card, would act as a grip for removing the device from the port.

(If that makes sense.)

k.
Zenithink ZT-280 Z102 C91 Tablet Arm AmLogic Cortex A9 DDR2 512Mb RAM 8Gb memory 32gb micro sdcard 800mhz or 1ghz cpu, (depending on which webpage is trying to sell one), 10.2 inch TFT LCD Resistance Touch Screen. Android 4.0.3 with aspirations of Android 4.1 and firmware for at least 1gb of ram and 1ghz cpu speed.