5,594,151 Members 45,512 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] RemoteApps Desktop Apps

Tip us?

mandy3d
Old
(Last edited by mandy3d; 7th November 2012 at 02:51 AM.) Reason: Trying to follow post rules
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Talking [GUIDE] RemoteApps Desktop Apps

Ok! I keep hoping I'll see some neat way to get my desktop apps on my Surface on here! However, I found a pretty cool solution myself!

First I set up remote desktop with my windows 7 PC and my surface. That was cool. It felt clunky and slow. However, I looked up how to do RemoteApps. I thought it looked complicated but worth it. While stumbling around I found a utility that basically sets it up for you!

1. First setup remote desktop access and free the port for remote desktop. I will not describe it here.

2. I used this utility! Kim Knight's remoteapp tool. Google it. XDA won't let me post a link cause I've never posted before. I just wanted to share my findings.

3. I now can use Utorrent, Photoshop and even my silly Pidgin! Eventually I'm going to use Maya! It works great with hardly any lag! The only lag I get is when I'm saving to my tablet vs the remote computer. I haven't been able to get a browser to work yet but I have invested that much time into it. I'm sure other people will figure it out. Whats cool is Utorrent will save to my tablet. Yah download speeds are slower but expected!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandy3d For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mattalter
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Nice find
What phone I have had in the last few months, most recent first

Galaxy Nexus
HTC Vivid
Atirx 2
Iphone 4S
Iphone 4 with iOS5
Samsung Focus
Evo rooted
3GS with OS4
Pre
The Following User Says Thank You to mattalter For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Backflipping
Old
Thanks Meter 10
This is indeed a great find! I've played with RemoteApps before on the server editions of Windows, but it's quite tricky to get it to work with one server and not a huge enterprise! Being able to use it in this way is just great. Plus we can probably work out an XML file that will populate the apps into the RemoteApp control panel / metro RDP client automatically.

However, I'm having a problem with this on Win 8 (as a host). It seems to all setup ok, but upon connecting (from Win8 or Surface RT) after credentials, cert etc are accepted the RDP client just vanishes. I see Kim Knight's page says it works with Win 8 CP - has anyone tested it with Win 8 RTM? If MS have broken this with Win8 I think I'll have to setup a Win7 box/VM just for this purpose!

Eirikr88
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I had issues getting it working on Windows 7 pro at work, so i swapped up to Enterprise and it worked great. I haven't tested it at home yet off my system. I haven't used this but for my home fileserver, but you can take it a step further and patch RDP to work for multiple concurrent connections.

http://www.redmondpie.com/remote-des...ows-rdp-patch/

DangerMUK
Old
Thanks Meter 10
RemoteApp Tool requires:

Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5

Remote Desktop 7 enabled on host

Remote Desktop 7 client on client

Windows 7 Enterprise or Ultimate (or Vista Pro or XPproSP3 - untested)
Thanks
DM

@DangerMouseUK

yokuyuki
Old
(Last edited by yokuyuki; 8th November 2012 at 07:35 AM.) Reason: Tested myself
Thanks Meter 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirikr88 View Post
I had issues getting it working on Windows 7 pro at work, so i swapped up to Enterprise and it worked great. I haven't tested it at home yet off my system. I haven't used this but for my home fileserver, but you can take it a step further and patch RDP to work for multiple concurrent connections.

http://www.redmondpie.com/remote-des...ows-rdp-patch/
With concurrent connections, can you remote app and use desktop still with same login?

Edit: Tried it myself and it works. So now I can remote app in while I'm still logged in my desktop and it won't boot me off, allowing me to use them simultaneously with the same login.
Phone: LG Nexus 5 | ROM: Rooted Stock | Kernel: Stock
Tablet: Asus Nexus 7 (2013) | ROM: Rooted Stock | Kernel: Stock
Past Devices: HTC Nexus One | B&N Nook Color | Samsung Galaxy S II i9100 | LG Nexus 4 | Asus Nexus 7 (2012) | Microsoft Surface RT
The Following User Says Thank You to yokuyuki For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Backflipping
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I can confirm this works with Windows 8 Enterprise, but not Pro. There is, of course, no Ultimate. This is all a bit of a shame as I can't use RemoteApp on my primary home PC, which also runs Media Centre (which can't be added into W8 Enterprise).

mandy3d
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokuyuki View Post
With concurrent connections, can you remote app and use desktop still with same login?

Edit: Tried it myself and it works. So now I can remote app in while I'm still logged in my desktop and it won't boot me off, allowing me to use them simultaneously with the same login.

Mine keeps booting me off... Asks me to sign out the other user before logging in. Any tips on how you were able to achieve that?

Mandy

yokuyuki
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy3d View Post
Mine keeps booting me off... Asks me to sign out the other user before logging in. Any tips on how you were able to achieve that?

Mandy
Did you install the concurrent RDP patch?

I installed it on Windows 7 Ultimate and I can use remote apps on my Surface and use desktop at the same time.
Phone: LG Nexus 5 | ROM: Rooted Stock | Kernel: Stock
Tablet: Asus Nexus 7 (2013) | ROM: Rooted Stock | Kernel: Stock
Past Devices: HTC Nexus One | B&N Nook Color | Samsung Galaxy S II i9100 | LG Nexus 4 | Asus Nexus 7 (2012) | Microsoft Surface RT

mattalter
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Default Guilde posted for remote apps on Windows 8 ENT

I have a post up on how to get this working on Window 8.

http://mattalter.wordpress.com/2012/...nd-windows-rt/

Thanks
Matt
What phone I have had in the last few months, most recent first

Galaxy Nexus
HTC Vivid
Atirx 2
Iphone 4S
Iphone 4 with iOS5
Samsung Focus
Evo rooted
3GS with OS4