Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,579 Members 43,913 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] T-Mobile Note 2 wireless charging mod

Tip us?

vinas1
Old
(Last edited by vinas1; 3rd January 2013 at 01:36 PM.) Reason: forgot to attach image
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromovin View Post
Please do. I might do the same thing... I have lots of touchstones and a couple Note2's that need some inductive lovin'!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
Here ya go! Keep in mind that this is my wireless volt mod (as in, the way I did it) and as such, any improvements are welcome! I'm very happy with the mod so far. The phone did a full charge over night with no problems. It was very nice just to pick it up off the touchstone this morning! But as usual do this at your own risk! The person doing the mod should be reasonably proficient at soldering small joints. Just be careful and this will work for you. Instructions are on the JPG! Any questions please ask! Verified working on the stock kernel and stock charger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T-Mobile_GN2-USB_Power_Mod.jpg
Views:	2152
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	1471616  

Phone: OnePlus One
ROM: Stock CM 11.0-XNPH33R
Android Version: 4.4.4
Build #: KTU84P
Kernel: 3.4.0-cyanogenmod-g0ad30e5
Radio: stock
Firmware: stock
Recovery: TWRP
Mods: none

HTC Dream -> Galaxy S Vibrant -> HTC Sensation 4G -> Samsung Galaxy Note II -> Unlocked 1+1, all on T-Mobile
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to vinas1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

farfromovin
Old
Thanks Meter 382
Vinas, do you use battery monitor pro or have other software to tell you charging current? Also are you using Perseus's kernel? Should up charging rate from about 350-500 ma to 900 ma.

Tmobile Note 2- powered by XDA magic.

vinas1
Old
(Last edited by vinas1; 10th November 2012 at 04:35 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Vinas, do you use battery monitor pro or have other software to tell you charging current? Also are you using Perseus's kernel? Should up charging rate from about 350-500 ma to 900 ma.

Great point, yes I'm using Perseus's kernel with this. I was at about 40% last night and woke up this morning with 100%. I'll check out the charging current - I have a full charge now so give me like 14 hours (ha ha)! One interesting thing to note (no pun intended) is that I was having a problem with non-oem chargers. It seems like the charger needs at least 750 milliamps of output to work - the OEM charger has 2 amps. The OEM part number is ETA-U90JWE. I have some crappy blackberry chargers that are hit or miss - my samsung 750milliamp works and so does the OEM like I stated before.

HTC Dream -> Galaxy S Vibrant -> HTC Sensation 4G -> Samsung Galaxy Note II -> Unlocked 1+1, all on T-Mobile

farfromovin
Old
Thanks Meter 382
Does it start indicating charging immediately or does it take 5-10 seconds to register like my Galaxy Nexus did?

vinas1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Does it start indicating charging immediately or does it take 5-10 seconds to register like my Galaxy Nexus did?

It starts immediately within about 1 maybe 2 seconds at the most.

perryh1
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinas1 View Post
Here ya go! Keep in mind that this is my wireless volt mod (as in, the way I did it) and as such, any improvements are welcome! I'm very happy with the mod so far. The phone did a full charge over night with no problems. It was very nice just to pick it up off the touchstone this morning! But as usual do this at your own risk! The person doing the mod should be reasonably proficient at soldering small joints. Just be careful and this will work for you. Instructions are on the JPG! Any questions please ask!
what size and type of wire did you use?
thank you

jpeps3
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Do y have a pic all ready connected
And chargeing
Or more pics were did y get the parts from...? Very cool mod

Sent from my SGH-T889

vinas1
Old
(Last edited by vinas1; 10th November 2012 at 08:35 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryh1 View Post
what size and type of wire did you use?
thank you
I used the smallest wire I had which was about 26 Guage. I salvaged the wire from a micro usb cable that I was using to test this mod. Afterwards I realized I could have used copper conductive tape. If I were to redo the mod i'd probably use the copper tape instead.
At the time I was worried about shorting other components, so I opted for super thin insulated wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeps3 View Post
Do y have a pic all ready connected
And chargeing
Or more pics were did y get the parts from...? Very cool mod

Sent from my SGH-T889
If I get a minute to tear down my phone again I will. It's been sitting apart more than together during the last day... The parts I used were salvaged from a micro usb cable for the wire, and I used a thin piece of plastic to wedge the usb compartment down. The plastic bit I used was rectangular and about as thick as a credit card.

Edit: Pics attached of the wire and plastic piece I used.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6400.jpg
Views:	1059
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	1472106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6403.jpg
Views:	1019
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	1472107  

The Following User Says Thank You to vinas1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jpeps3
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Can y please open it show the wireing please

Sent from my SGH-T889

farfromovin
Old
Thanks Meter 382
I'm assuming you used some N52 magnets perhaps, maybe 8 of them? Glad to hear you used 26 ga cause I got copper tape and 30 ga wire ready to go. I think I'll use the wire to avoid shorting as well.

Tags
t-mobile wireless charging mod note 2 gn2 sgh-t889