[ROM - Stock-based] Minimoto v1.7 XT862/XT860- Less is more.

Search This thread

thingonaspring

Mar 8, 2006
This ROM is stock XT862 5.7.906 deodexed and meticulously optimised to make the lowest use of resources possible.

The zipfile download is just 75.9Mb - everything unnecessary has been removed, many resources hand optimised and blur/moto apps replaced where better alternatives exist.

Features :-
- All hardware, camera/camcorder, sensors, GPS, bluetooth, LEDs, HDMI etc working
- Reboot+screenshot on power menu
- MMS from CM7
- Calendar from CM7
- Networklocation fixed
- Minimum and auto brightness lowered to increase battery life with screen on
- Calculator replaced with latest (2012-12-20) MobiCalc (Scientific calculator with DEC/BIN/HEX conversion)
- Blur Setup removed
- Uses standard android account+sync settings, no more need for Blur services
- optimised blurphone/dialer UI
- black themed notification bar
- vol up/down wake
- Optimised Flash player (You must reboot once for it to work)
- HDMI fixed and fully tested now
- Smooth scrolling patch from MrObvious
- Camera from Atrix, hacked for 100% jpeg quality, added fps lowlight patch in 1.65
- Gallery replaced with QuickPic
- N1 Magic Alarm replaces Blur Alarm Clock, which was very big and slow for a simple alarm app.
- ICS iconset
- Pre-rooted
- Default browser forced to desktop view and always shows debug menus
- 1% battery (using icons lifted from mavrom's framework-res.apk)
- Notification power toggles from Steel Droid 4.8
- Very minimal Gingerbread Google Apps - much smaller than the one on goo.im
- Email app from CM7, syncs contacts/calendar/email from MS exchange, Office365, Gmail, Hotmail or any POP3/IMAP account
- Total control of over/under clocking/volting
- Busybox 1.20 replaces all binaries wherever possible (lowers disk/mem/cache usage)
- Latest Holo Launcher (2013-01-06) pre-installed and updatable
- DSPManager
- FMRadio
- Quickoffice (we have a license for this as part of stock ROM, so well worth having)
- Terminal emulator (2013-01-06)
- One alarm tone "alarm classic", one ringtone "ring", one notification tone "bells"
- No bootanim/sound (shows default android logo)
- init.d support
- command line tools
---- "rw" - read/write system
---- "ro" - revert to read only
---- "ssh"/"scp"
---- "zip" - create archives from cmd-line
---- "ash" as default shell using busybox
---- "zipalign" - force zipped APK contents to 32-bit boundaries for better use of RAM
---- "repack_apks" - rezip and zipalign a dir full of apks, cd to /data/app and run it to optimise apps downloaded from market

More details, credits, how-to for overclocking etc in 2nd post.

DOWNLOAD LINK - UPDATED v1.7 - Network location fixed, optimised camera and framework-res, icons from lotzakritters, updated hololauncher, terminal, superuser, flash mod, removed unused ducati binaries, removed unused libs, added reboot+screenshot, removed VZW location services and lots more optimisations.
http://d-h.st/bI1 - XT862 version
http://d-h.st/SOc - XT860 version, thanks to docardoso, updated to fix keymap

****FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS - IMPORTANT THESE ARE SPECIFIC TO MINIMOTO ROM****
This ROM should work with safestrap 2 or 3, but has only been tested on v3.05.
To flash, first create a ROM slot in SS3, activate that slot, wipe data, then install the ZIP.
Do not clear data again after installing - this ROM installs some necessary files to the /data partition.

Last edited:

thingonaspring

Mar 8, 2006
Credits/Howtos

Credits :-
Hashcode - for every single thing that makes this phone still worth having. Particularly safestrap3, which allows me to mod ROMs on the train to/from work and still have a working phone the rest of the time

Buckmarble - for mavrom - I used Buck's /etc directory as a quick way to get this bootable under safestrap, and the battery icons from his framework-res.apk
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1612537

Chevycam94 - for Steel Droid ROM - I used his SystemUI.apk file to add power toggles.
I've used Chevy's to save time, but plan to do my own later with less theming.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1278056

Opptimizer projekt - for the overclocking kernel modules
http://code.google.com/p/opptimizer/

Cyanogenmod team - for their fantastic mail/calendar/mms apps
http://www.cyanogenmod.org/

Motorola - for making all our lives more difficult
http://www.motorola.com

How-tos :-

===Over/Under Clock/Volt===
You can find a template overclocking script in /etc/init.d named "02overclock".
By default, all the options are commented out.
The script includes example values tuned for my specific CPU, so yours will probably not work with these values, but it also lists the default moto values for reference.
While testing, copy the script to /data and run it from there - don't put testing values in /etc/init.d or your device may bootloop.

To edit the script, type "rw" in terminal to enter read/write mode, then make the changes you want using your favorite text editor.

First, uncomment these lines
#echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
#echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
#insmod /system/lib/modules/symsearch.ko
#insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
#echo hotplug > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

Then start trying various settings for the 0,1,2,3 Steps of CPU scaling.
See the following article for details on tuning the VSEL and clock speeds to your device - proceed with caution.
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/14511-opptimizer-projekt-milestone-overclock-for-omap4-devices/

Once you have a stable set of values, in terminal "cp /data/02overclock /etc/init.d" and reboot.
Now your phone will apply these values on every boot.

Last edited:

SeiferTV

Oct 6, 2010
Sounds cool, might give it a shot.
Couple of cuestions:
what launcher does it have? ( I know I could easily replace it, but, just curious )
since it's deodexed, do you reckon rom toolbox themes would work?

This ROM is stock XT862 5.7.906 deodexed and meticulously optimised to make the lowest use of resources possible.

The zipfile download is just 99.5Mb - everything unnecessary has been removed, and blur/moto apps replaced where better alternatives exist.

- Pre-rooted
- Email app from CM7 - syncs contacts/calendar/email from exchange, office365, etc, also supports gmail and hotmail (works for me even without a "plus" account!)
- Busybox replaces all binaries wherever possible (lowers disk/mem/cache usage)
- Latest (2012-11-07) ADWLauncher pre-installed and updatable (fast stable modern launcher)
- DSPManager (replaces "audio effects" from stock)
- FMRadio
- Quickoffice (we have a license for this as part of stock ROM, so well worth having)
- Terminal emulator
- One alarm tone "alarm classic", one ringtone "ring", one notification tone "bells"
- TCP/Filesystem/VM tweaks
- init.d support
- command line tools "rw" - read/write system, "ro" - revert to read only, "ssh", "scp", "zip", "ash" as default shell (busybox)
- All hardware, camera/camcorder, sensors, GPS, bluetooth, LEDs etc working

More details, credits, how-to for overclocking etc to follow.

DOWNLOAD LINK
http://www.multiupload.nl/652II0AO7F

To flash, first create a ROM slot in SS3, activate that slot, wipe data, then install the ZIP.
Do not clear data again after installing - this ROM installs some necessary files to the /data partition.

thingonaspring

Mar 8, 2006
Launcher - ADW, latest as of today.

Theming - should be possible, only some static resources in framework-res.apk have been modified, which I don't think will cause any problems.

I'll update 1st and 2nd posts with a lot more info in a few hours, am at work right now, so not cool to be spending too much time on forums.

Reactions: Tranzior

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
If I understand correctly this is NOT overclocked by default?

Sent from my XT860 using xda premium

doogald

May 27, 2010
It looks fine so far, with one major exception: there is no settings->accounts & sync, so, since GMail is not installed by default, I cannot set my GMail account to sync after installing the app. (I do like to tweak these settings, so I'd have to see it back.)

Also, settings->battery & data manager->battery mode force closes (not a huge issue). Settings->battery & data manager->data delivery->Social applications force closes (expected that one.) If there is a way to disable these menu items, that would be a good thing - nobody like to get an FC.

Also, like Maverick, the default typeface dos not distinguish visibly between normal and bold type. In GMail, it is nearly impossible to tell which conversations have unread messages and which do not (unread have bold type on stock.) You can sort-of tell because unread and read conversations have a slightly different background, but it's too subtle to tell at a glance - you really have to look to see the difference.

thingonaspring

Mar 8, 2006
@Endoroid Yep - not overclocked by default - you need to tune the overclock script in /etc/init.disabled/02overclock, testing carefully. Only when you have good settings for your CPU should you copy that script to /etc/init.d so it applies on boot.

@doogald
settings->accounts & sync - I'd recommend using the built-in email client. It handles gmail really well and has sync settings in the app.

settings->battery & data manager->battery, settings->battery & data manager->data delivery->Social applications force closes, yep both those features are removed. I'll look into tidying up the XML so it no longer shows those settings.

A patch release has just been uploaded to the OP, its a fix for headphone connectivity, well worth having.

Next target is a tidyup of the settings menus and an effort to get notification power widget and better battery/signal indicators.

Meanwhile - does anyone know of a source for a better built-in browser APK?
The D3's default one doesn't remember mobile/desktop useragent settings, so I usually end up installing Opera instead.

Last edited:

doogald

May 27, 2010
@doogald
settings->accounts & sync - I'd recommend using the built-in email client. It handles gmail really well and has sync settings in the app.

Thanks. I'll look at the email app, but I generally prefer the GMail app for important message support, etc. Second, I like to tweak the sync settings at times - turn off Google+, for example, or turn on Picasa if I am looking for photos that I know I have online, and then turn it off when I don't need it (most of the time). There are other apps that store sync settings in settings->accounts, such as Dropbox, so I'd like/need to have those settings exposed. Also, I know that some people like to sync Facebook or Twitter contacts.

Lastly, thanks for taking the time to develop this. It's great to see another ROM choice.

thingonaspring

Mar 8, 2006
it will be great if you add more languages to it....

Hehe - so far I've been removing languages. It might be possible to make flashable language packs for it, I'll see if anyone's done something simillar.

@doogald
There are other apps that store sync settings in settings->accounts, such as Dropbox
Hmm, that does make sense yes. I'll have a look at reinstating it.

Last edited:

palmwangja

Feb 20, 2008
Thanks. I'll look at the email app, but I generally prefer the GMail app for important message support, etc. Second, I like to tweak the sync settings at times - turn off Google+, for example, or turn on Picasa if I am looking for photos that I know I have online, and then turn it off when I don't need it (most of the time). There are other apps that store sync settings in settings->accounts, such as Dropbox, so I'd like/need to have those settings exposed. Also, I know that some people like to sync Facebook or Twitter contacts.

Lastly, thanks for taking the time to develop this. It's great to see another ROM choice.
+1.
absolutely needed...

palmwangja

Feb 20, 2008
Hehe - so far I've been removing languages. It might be possible to make flashable language packs for it, I'll see if anyone's done something simillar.

@doogald

Hmm, that does make sense yes. I'll have a look at reinstating it.
Thanks, but could I reenable the account sync setttings somewhat urgently by myself?
I needed to set up for google+ instant upload, but G+ fc'd at settings... which seems related to this missing menu.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Not to be rude, but that link doesn't work. It tries to redirect me to download some kind of client. 4 browsers have been tried.
had the same experience, but i found the link when i used Firefox nightly.

doogald

May 27, 2010
Not to be rude, but that link doesn't work. It tries to redirect me to download some kind of client. 4 browsers have been tried.

I was able to download using the PutLocker link yesterday. I just tried again, and it worked. (Chrome on my Mac... I always use a computer to download and get to the device either by direct connect or via Dropbox.)

thingonaspring

Mar 8, 2006
@Cyrus221
You're looking at the interstitial advert between multiupload and the actual download site. Click "Skip Ad" in the top right, then you goto the actual download.
Don't blame me, blame crafty tactics by multiupload's commercial partners.

@palmwangja
I've found the reason AccountAndSyncSettings.apk isn't simply working when I reinstate it - it depends on moto's "blur" account syncing engine, which is heavily woven into a lot of the stuff I've removed to make this rom so small and efficient in the first place.
If we enable that bunch of settings, then the rom loses much of its point - being small and fast.

Instead of that, I'm looking at getting CM7's apk for the same function to work instead.

Last edited:

palmwangja

Feb 20, 2008
@palmwangja
I've found the reason AccountAndSyncSettings.apk isn't simply working when I reinstate it - it depends on moto's "blur" account syncing engine, which is heavily woven into a lot of the stuff I've removed to make this rom so small and efficient in the first place.
If we enable that bunch of settings, then the rom loses much of its point - being small and fast.

Instead of that, I'm looking at getting CM7's apk for the same function to work instead.

Thanks, sounds like a plan.

BTW, Will there be any chance of getting a widget on notification bar, just like any other ICS roms?

Your rom seems really promising, and can be one of the best daily driver.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The zipfile download is just 75.9Mb - everything unnecessary has been removed, many resources hand optimised and blur/moto apps replaced where better alternatives exist.

- All hardware, camera/camcorder, sensors, GPS, bluetooth, LEDs, HDMI etc working
    - Reboot+screenshot on power menu
    - MMS from CM7
    - Calendar from CM7
    - Networklocation fixed
    - Minimum and auto brightness lowered to increase battery life with screen on
    - Calculator replaced with latest (2012-12-20) MobiCalc (Scientific calculator with DEC/BIN/HEX conversion)
    - Blur Setup removed
    - Uses standard android account+sync settings, no more need for Blur services
    - optimised blurphone/dialer UI
    - black themed notification bar
    - vol up/down wake
    - Optimised Flash player (You must reboot once for it to work)
    - HDMI fixed and fully tested now
    - Smooth scrolling patch from MrObvious
    - Camera from Atrix, hacked for 100% jpeg quality, added fps lowlight patch in 1.65
    - Gallery replaced with QuickPic
    - N1 Magic Alarm replaces Blur Alarm Clock, which was very big and slow for a simple alarm app.
    - ICS iconset
    - Pre-rooted
    - Default browser forced to desktop view and always shows debug menus
    - 1% battery (using icons lifted from mavrom's framework-res.apk)
    - Notification power toggles from Steel Droid 4.8
    - Email app from CM7, syncs contacts/calendar/email from MS exchange, Office365, Gmail, Hotmail or any POP3/IMAP account
    - Busybox 1.20 replaces all binaries wherever possible (lowers disk/mem/cache usage)
    - Latest Holo Launcher (2013-01-06) pre-installed and updatable
    - DSPManager
    - FMRadio
    - Terminal emulator (2013-01-06)
    - init.d support
    - command line tools
    ---- "rw" - read/write system
    ---- "ro" - revert to read only
    ---- "ssh"/"scp"
    ---- "zip" - create archives from cmd-line
    ---- "ash" as default shell using busybox
    ---- "zipalign" - force zipped APK contents to 32-bit boundaries for better use of RAM
    ---- "repack_apks" - rezip and zipalign a dir full of apks, cd to /data/app and run it to optimise apps downloaded from market

More details, credits, how-to for overclocking etc in 2nd post.

DOWNLOAD LINK - UPDATED v1.7 - Network location fixed, optimised camera and framework-res, icons from lotzakritters, updated hololauncher, terminal, superuser, flash mod, removed unused ducati binaries, removed unused libs, added reboot+screenshot, removed VZW location services and lots more optimisations.
    http://d-h.st/bI1 - XT862 version
    http://d-h.st/SOc - XT860 version, thanks to docardoso, updated to fix keymap

Hi all,

Good news - new version is up in first post, it's got the following :-

removed libarcsoft.so
    removed libpanorama*
    removed libphotoflow.so
    removed unused ducati files
    removed /etc/videoeditorlite
    removed Location*
    removed Geo*
    replaced keyboard with nullkb. for a touch KB, install "hackers keyboard" from the market.
    replaced system/app/settings_noblur.apk - lower min brightness - lower battery use with screen on
    replaced framework-res.apk - optimised and lower auto brightness - lower battery use with screen on
    updated term
    updaed hololauncher
    updated busybox - fixes Titanium Backup, but it still moans about "su" permissions when installed to a safe romslot (no warning when installed to stock romslot). This is an issue with Tibu, not minimoto ROM.
    improved flash player mod
    smaller blur-permissions-new.apk
    added reboot and screenshot to power menu
    added NetworkLocation.apk - fixes network location
    optimised camera
    systemui icons from lotzakritters
    settings icons from lotzakrittes
    fixed superuser apk - fixes FC when viewing settings for a given app

Bad news - I had planned a "small patch release" v1.66, but it's ballooned into a massive set of changes, so instead I've had to increment the major version number and issue it as a whole new rom V1.7. Updating from 1.6x won't work I'm afraid, you'll have to do a clean install.

Amazing news - the ROM installer is now just 75.9mb, tiiiny.
    Credits/Howtos

Credits :-
    Hashcode - for every single thing that makes this phone still worth having. Particularly safestrap3, which allows me to mod ROMs on the train to/from work and still have a working phone the rest of the time

Buckmarble - for mavrom - I used Buck's /etc directory as a quick way to get this bootable under safestrap, and the battery icons from his framework-res.apk
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1612537

Chevycam94 - for Steel Droid ROM - I used his SystemUI.apk file to add power toggles.
    I've used Chevy's to save time, but plan to do my own later with less theming.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1278056

Opptimizer projekt - for the overclocking kernel modules
    http://code.google.com/p/opptimizer/

Cyanogenmod team - for their fantastic mail/calendar/mms apps
    http://www.cyanogenmod.org/

Motorola - for making all our lives more difficult
    http://www.motorola.com

How-tos :-

===Over/Under Clock/Volt===
    You can find a template overclocking script in /etc/init.d named "02overclock".
    By default, all the options are commented out.
    The script includes example values tuned for my specific CPU, so yours will probably not work with these values, but it also lists the default moto values for reference.
    While testing, copy the script to /data and run it from there - don't put testing values in /etc/init.d or your device may bootloop.

To edit the script, type "rw" in terminal to enter read/write mode, then make the changes you want using your favorite text editor.

First, uncomment these lines
    #echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    #echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
    #insmod /system/lib/modules/symsearch.ko
    #insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
    #echo hotplug > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

Then start trying various settings for the 0,1,2,3 Steps of CPU scaling.
    See the following article for details on tuning the VSEL and clock speeds to your device - proceed with caution.
    http://rootzwiki.com/topic/14511-opptimizer-projekt-milestone-overclock-for-omap4-devices/

Once you have a stable set of values, in terminal "cp /data/02overclock /etc/init.d" and reboot.
    Now your phone will apply these values on every boot.
    Hello,first I would like to thank Thingonaspring for this awesome rom,I love it,I have just started on the modding side of android,so I am a modding noob,and was wondering where I could find the lockscreen at,as I really like the lockscreen of the 2.3.6 rom ,and seeing as Thingonaspring was so nice to deodex it for us I was hopping I could just pull it from that rom and place it in this one ,or do I have to decompile an .apk to do that?
    Any and all help would be very much appreciated, thank you

Sent from my Droid 3 on StraightTalk using xda app-developers app

Hiya, the lockscreen is in Settings.apk.
    I'm currently taking a look at the 2.3.6 with the hope of making a new minimoto based on it, but it's a lot of work, so won't be very soon.
    V1.65 is now up on the first post, plus a patch from 1.6x to 1.65.

New in this version :-

- Black notification area, looks much cooler
    - Vol up/down wake done properly
    - New browser mod with more optimisations, better desktop mode patch and always shows debug menus (no more need to go "about:debug")
    - HDMI fixed and tested (a lot easier now I have the HDMI cable)
    - Phone and Dialer have a new optimised skin, saving ~300K of resources, it's a bit simplistic, but does the trick
    - Camera lowlight FPS hack
    - hololauncher FC problem fixed
    - latest mobicalc
    - Lots more dead motorola services/libs/frameworks removed

The full ROM installer is now down to 78.6mb, which I'm really pleased with.
    I really didn't imagine it could go that small when I started this.