Scratched camera lens cover - fixed

Search This thread

Moandal

Oct 7, 2005
Since the camera lens cover on the Note is flush with the back casing, it is prone to scratching if you don't have a case and mine was quite badly scratched.

I bought a replacement lens cover for about £5 including postage off Ebay, but the cover is part of the middle chassis, and although I managed to remove the middle chassis easily enough, I couldn't separate the lens cover from the chassis. I then found that the whole middle chassis for less than a tenner here:

http://www.dealrepairs.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-note-middle-cover-chassis-housing_p722.html

Note - some people seem to be having problems ordering from this site - be warned!

I bought it, and it was a perfect match for the original, with a perfect, unscratched camera lens cover. Job done!

The middle chassis housing is easy to remove - unscrew 9 screws and it prises off. Plenty of videos on YouTube to show you how.

Last edited:
Reactions: xdapao3

geonahta

May 8, 2008
I got a replacement lens cover instead of the whole back. Cheaper to ship, easier to install.

kinky-chinky

Feb 5, 2007
@ Moandal

Does the middle chassis housing come with a lens cover already attached?

k-c

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

bondarun

Nov 18, 2009
Chennai
There are quite few listing for Lens cover on Ebay.com

Its priced around 4$ each... You have to open up the back housing and the lens cover is hold up in 3 points..
Use a philips head screw driver to lift them up and then replace it with a new one and lock down the 3 points...

Its so simple and easy to do

ycs.

Oct 5, 2012
mine is also slightly scratched and unsure whether if changing the cover will improve the image quality

after, using the new 4.2 camera, photos are slightly sharper and more punchy, so still undecided :confused:

Moandal

Oct 7, 2005
mine is also slightly scratched and unsure whether if changing the cover will improve the image quality

after, using the new 4.2 camera, photos are slightly sharper and more punchy, so still undecided :confused:

Scratches make quite a big difference in outdoor light. They diffuse the light and make the photo look washed out.

Moandal

Oct 7, 2005

Its priced around 4$ each... You have to open up the back housing and the lens cover is hold up in 3 points..
Use a philips head screw driver to lift them up and then replace it with a new one and lock down the 3 points...

Well it beats me how you did it! Even with my no-longer-required-and-so-not-afraid-to-break old chassis and a variety of small screwdrivers I cannot get the lens cover off. I can see the three lugs that hold it in, but I can't move them in any direction. Thankfully the entire chassis is pretty cheap anyway.

kinky-chinky

Feb 5, 2007
Yes it does, and since I couldn't separate the lens cover from the chassis I couldn't just replace the lens cover on its own.

Thanks for the reply Moandal :good:

I think I'll be putting an order in for a new housing now.

Cheers.

One other thing, I take it I'll need special (small) screwdrivers to remove the screws. And any advice on the tool to use for prising off the old housing or will fingernails suffice?

k-c

Last edited:

kinky-chinky

Feb 5, 2007
Well, placed an order on 11th Nov, order still shown pending and no reply to recent enquiry I sent.

Not looking promising :(

k-c

Moandal

Oct 7, 2005

OK I've finally figured out how to do this. First of all you have to bend the three lugs in towards the centre from the inside of the housing - easiest with a small flat-headed screwdriver. Then you just have to push it out, although mine was lightly glued in. So now I have a spare!

kinky-chinky

Feb 5, 2007
@ Moandal

Nope. No update on the pending status of my order & no reply to the message I sent.

k-c

gedster314

Sep 7, 2007
Oxnard, Ca
I getting ready to sell my note1 and since my metal border as some small scratches, I just purchased a middle plate from CNN.CN. Probably about the same price with conversion to dollars. It will be like brand new once I change that. I always hate it when give them pictures and agree on the price, when you finally meet for the exchange they still try to ding you for the scratches you already showed them in pictures. Those people are almost as annoying as the low ballers who haven't seen a pic and are already offering half price.

Reactions: Blu3Fr0g

kinky-chinky

Feb 5, 2007
@ _yupa_

sorry to hear you're in the same boat

@ gedster314

I used cnn.cn way back when I had to replace the keypad and housing on a SE K750. I'll have a look at them, thanks.

@ moandal

how long did your part take to arrive from dealrepairs.co.uk?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since the camera lens cover on the Note is flush with the back casing, it is prone to scratching if you don't have a case and mine was quite badly scratched.

I bought a replacement lens cover for about £5 including postage off Ebay, but the cover is part of the middle chassis, and although I managed to remove the middle chassis easily enough, I couldn't separate the lens cover from the chassis. I then found that the whole middle chassis for less than a tenner here:

http://www.dealrepairs.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-note-middle-cover-chassis-housing_p722.html

Note - some people seem to be having problems ordering from this site - be warned!

I bought it, and it was a perfect match for the original, with a perfect, unscratched camera lens cover. Job done!

The middle chassis housing is easy to remove - unscrew 9 screws and it prises off. Plenty of videos on YouTube to show you how.
    @ Moandal

Does the middle chassis housing come with a lens cover already attached?

k-c

Yes it does, and since I couldn't separate the lens cover from the chassis I couldn't just replace the lens cover on its own.
    I getting ready to sell my note1 and since my metal border as some small scratches, I just purchased a middle plate from CNN.CN. Probably about the same price with conversion to dollars. It will be like brand new once I change that. I always hate it when give them pictures and agree on the price, when you finally meet for the exchange they still try to ding you for the scratches you already showed them in pictures. Those people are almost as annoying as the low ballers who haven't seen a pic and are already offering half price.