XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Beware the N7100/N7105 UK Con

Tip us?

ice_coffee
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default Beware the N7100/N7105 UK Con

I hit the high street today in search of an N7105 to go on three's network with the hope of being 4G ready, this is what I found

1) I went into a 3 store and got to play with a real "3" note 2, this was an N7100 despite "3's" customer service promising me that it was 4G ready for sure, it turns out they are currently only stocking the N7100 what is really bad is that 3 are pushing the fact that they are upgrading their network to DC-HSDPA (theoretical 42 Mbps real world 15 mbps) but regarding Samsungs the only DC-HSDPA phone available are the Galaxy S3 LTE and the Note 2 LTE, so the regular note 2 will not be able to make the best of "3s" newly enhanced network.

2) I went into phones 4U as independent phone shops buy their own phones and so in theory will be able to sell you an N7105 on any network you want. This was even worse! where as T-mobile/Orange customers are getting the N7105 direct from their provider if they either start up new contracts or upgrade, if you sign up to a new contract or upgrade via phones 4U they are dishing out the N7100, they don't have any N7105's in stock and when they get them they will be exclusively dishing them out to people signing up to new contracts on EE.

If I was with T-Mobile/Orange and got an N7100 through phones 4U when I was meant to get an N7105 I would be very unimpressed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ice_coffee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

koahhe
Old
Thanks Meter 4
this is no news at all. the LTE phones available in UK now are designed to work with EE network 4G frequencies. your taking a big gamble buying one and hoping it will work with a specific network next year. and as s general advice dont believe what the sales representative will tell you. do your research before going into the shop.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

EmptyArea
Old
Thanks Meter 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by koahhe View Post
this is no news at all. the LTE phones available in UK now are designed to work with EE network 4G frequencies. your taking a big gamble buying one and hoping it will work with a specific network next year. and as s general advice dont believe what the sales representative will tell you. do your research before going into the shop.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app
Sorry to say but, you're wrong.
It's well known what frequencies will be used and the n7105 will work on all of them, plus as the op said it has dc-h+ which means you can get unlimited near 4g speeds with all you can eat data from Three for as little as 12.90 pcm.
It's 509 for the phone.
12 to unlock
Clearly the best option for the money conscious data hog.

And OP you might not be able to get an n7105 from anyone other than EE for sometime, or they might appear tomorrow. It has about the same likelihood of the 32gb version turning up.
(Actually Samsung might have said the 32 isn't coming? I'm not sure on that one?)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app
On two occasions I have been asked,
"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"
I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EmptyArea For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Chivalryyyy
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Where can you buy a N7105 for 509?
The Following User Says Thank You to Chivalryyyy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

djashjones
Old
Thanks Meter 13
pointless for me to have LTE. Don't live anywhere near a 4G area, the prices are a complete ripoff & by the time it arrives my contract will be up then and i will getting the note 3
The Following User Says Thank You to djashjones For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Suicidal Chicken
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Personally, I wouldn't bother with 4G in the UK. Where I live, which is a heavy population (Milton Keynes,) 4G is expected to hit in 2 years; which, by then i'll probably have the note 4 :P

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 through the Space Time Continuum

Chivalryyyy
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal Chicken View Post
Personally, I wouldn't bother with 4G in the UK. Where I live, which is a heavy population (Milton Keynes,) 4G is expected to hit in 2 years; which, by then i'll probably have the note 4 :P

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 through the Space Time Continuum

Its not so much the 4g I'm bothered about... its more the resale value of a 3g phone in 2 years when all the networks are running 4g as standard ...
That and possibly the ability to use threes hspda+42 add an alternative to 4g
The Following User Says Thank You to Chivalryyyy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

olisun39
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivalryyyy View Post
Where can you buy a N7105 for 509?
Orange...

artnada
Old
(Last edited by artnada; 8th November 2012 at 07:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;33846144
I hit the high street today in search of an N7105 to go on three's network with the hope of being 4G ready, this is what I found

1) I went into a 3 store and got to play with a real "3" note 2, this was an N7100 despite "3's" customer service promising me that it was 4G ready for sure, it turns out they are currently only stocking the N7100 what is really bad is that 3 are pushing the fact that they are upgrading their network to DC-HSDPA (theoretical 42 Mbps real world 15 mbps) but regarding Samsungs the only DC-HSDPA phone available are the Galaxy S3 LTE and the Note 2 LTE, so the regular note 2 will not be able to make the best of "3s" newly enhanced network.

2) I went into phones 4U as independent phone shops buy their own phones and so in theory will be able to sell you an N7105 on any network you want. This was even worse! where as T-mobile/Orange customers are getting the N7105 direct from their provider if they either start up new contracts or upgrade, if you sign up to a new contract or upgrade via phones 4U they are dishing out the N7100, they don't have any N7105's in stock and when they get them they will be exclusively dishing them out to people signing up to new contracts on EE.

If I was with T-Mobile/Orange and got an N7100 through phones 4U when I was meant to get an N7105 I would be very unimpressed.
OP, I have the GT-N7100 on Three and last weekend Three upgraded their network near me. My speeds went up from the usual 3Mbps/4Mbps to between 15Mbps/16Mbps which is "near" "real" 4G speeds without the extra OTT EE cost.

So, in fact the regular note 2 will be able to make the best of "3s" newly enhanced network.

I'm more than happy with that Free from Three.

Speedtest Pic 1
Speedtest Pic 2
Speedtest Pic 3

RambJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by artnada View Post
OP, I have the GT-7100 on Three and last weekend Three upgraded their network near me. My speeds went up from 3Mbps/4Mbps to between 15Mbps/16Mbps which is "near" "real" 4G speeds without the extra OTT cost.

I'm more than happy with that Free from Three.

Speedtest Pic 1
Speedtest Pic 2
Speedtest Pic 3
Wow, is that really HSPA+21?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2