[ROM][PORT] Sprint Official JB - VPBLJ7 - Nov. 8, 2012

Search This thread

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Official Sprint JB Build VPBLJ7
Port to T-Mobile SGH-T999

This is a fully stock port of Sprints Official Jellybean release, build VPBLJ7.

Based on the official stock firmware released by sextape and patched with T-Mobiles latest JB leak UVDLI8.​

My ultimate goal with this is to have a fully working, stock JB release that is stable enough to match our upcoming official release from T-Mobile! In the end, this will contain a lot of what you would expect to find in T-Mobile's release, yes this includes some bloat! (Not all bloat!) From there, I will try to get out some modded variants to play with!
Hopefully, you will find this to already be good enough to use as your daily driver. (I have been running this version for the last week and have had virtually no issues at all!) I made the initial port in the first few days after Sprint's release, and after some tests and adjustments, I feel it is already quite close to meeting my goal! :fingers-crossed:

Goals:
Fast and Stable enough to rival T-Mobiles unreleased official JB!
Provide a good daily driver to satisfy those who just...can't....wait!
Provide a strong, stable base for developers to play with!

:cowboy: FEATURES :cowboy:
Code:
[CENTER]Sprint Build VPBLJ7 + T-Mobile Leak UVDLI8
Insecure Stock UVDLI8 Kernel
Init.d support
Deodexed
Zipaligned
CarrierIQ Free
Rooted with latest SuperSU 0.97
Latest BusyBox 1.20.2 from Linus Yang
Good Battery Life!
No Flickering![/CENTER]

:cowboy: What's Working :cowboy:
Code:
[CENTER]WiFi Band Selection
HSPA+21/+42 confirmed!

WiFi Tethering / Hotspot
(Use Sprint Hotspot App)

BT Tethering
Camera/Camcorder + audio
exFat Support
Smart Stay
Smart Rotation
Play Store - T-Mobile Account Billing[/CENTER]

Not Working
Code:
[CENTER]Bluetooth Calling
It has been reported that there are problems with making and receiving calls via Bluetooth. 
Data and streaming seem to work fine.  I am working on a fix now.  Thanks for your patience guys!

WiFi Calling
(I will try to either port the code into this ROM, and/or I will make a second one which trades Smart Rotation for this)

4G Reporting
(So far it only shows 3G in the Status Bar, and UMTS:3 as Mobile Network Type)
(I have been able to fix it so it does connect to HSPA+, it is only the reporting that is wrong.)[/CENTER]

The only "extra" I have added to this rom is the WiFi Band Switcher.
It will allow you to switch between Auto, 2.4GHz, and 5.0GHz for your wireless connection!
I know this is technically not stock, but it brings back previous stock functionality which should never have been removed!

Huge Thanks to madmack from the International GS3 forum for his work and allowing me to use it here!!!
Please visit his thread and Thank him for this!
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1891970

DOWNLOAD!
T999_Sprint_VPBLJ7_Port3​
MD5: b424c507aca432f3745453039d283659​

For best results, perform a Factory Reset prior to flashing this in Recovery.
Flash as you would any other ROM!
Enjoy!!!
:cool: :victory: :cool:

Thanks to everyone for the fantastic feedback!

Check out the Jellybomb theme ported by wcoast!
Dont forget to thank him for his work! :highfive:

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
I can't wait to start getting feedback from everybody! Naturally, let me know of any bugs/issues you have, but there are one or two things I would like for someone to confirm for me.

As I mentioned, HSPA+21 seems to be working just fine for me, and it is just the reporting of your connection type that is wrong. I do not have HSPA+42 in my area, so if someone who does can run some speed tests and report back that would be great! I fully expect it to be working, but as I said, I just cannot confirm this myself.
I can verify +21 in that I consistently am getting downlink speeds between 9-12Mbps! As far as I can remember, this would not be possible on any pre-hspa+21 tech, and these are the speeds which can often be expected on a +21 network.
I am hoping to see some reports of 17-22Mbps, or greater, from some of you lucky folks in an area with +42!
I believe the problem lies in Sprint's framework, since it wasn't coded to ever expect or use hspa+. I should be able to add this in...we will see!

Another thing I am hoping for verification on, and doubt itll take long to get, is WiFi Tethering. It does work for me, and I am on the Android Preferred 5GB plan which is not supposed to have Tethering support, so I fully expect it to work for everyone! I would just like to get confirmation of this in case I am only able to use it because of something left over from my old plan. Doubtful, but you never know!

NOTE: About exFat support. I did confirm that you can use a sdcard formated as exFat. However, I do not recommend this, use Fat32 if possible. The main reason for this, is the lack of support for it beyond this rom. Other kernels will likely not be able to make use of this format, and currently, neither CWM nor TWRP are able to. So if you are trying out different stuff, or are a flash addict, you will only run into problems down the line.
I would only recommend using exFat if you are using a 64GB micro SDXC, and are planning to stay with a single rom for a while.

Regarding WiFi Calling. I know this is a major feature for a lot of you, so I will probably release a second version of this rom that carries wifi calling support. The current port has all of the required components, and I believe is ready for WiFi calling, but since this is a Sprint build, it did not include the options in the Settings menus to enable it. If I do go with a second version, for now, it will be a trade off of sorts. You will likely have to give up Smart Rotation, and potentially other features. I will do my best to minimize this, and i will be trying to port WiFi calling into the current build so we can get the best of everything!

If anyone has any tips, or insight into any of this, I would be happy to hear it!

Remember, this is intended to be a Stock build only. Extra mods and features will not be included, though you are welcome to post them if you have them for others to use! Im planning on releasing modded versions in the near future as well. And provided it turns out to be good enough, I will be looking forward to what else our devs can do with this one!

I tested as much as I could as thoroughly as I could, but I am sure some of you will find some issues I did not.

In the end, I just hope you guys enjoy the rom and everyone finds at least parts of it to be useful!
Happy Flashing!!! :cowboy:

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Screenshots!

Here are a few screenshots I took a few days ago to show how the battery has been on this rom!

\

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-03-23-09-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-03-23-09-35.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,292
  • Screenshot_2012-11-03-23-10-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-03-23-10-08.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 2,262
  • Screenshot_2012-11-03-23-10-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-03-23-10-21.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 2,183
  • Screenshot_2012-11-03-23-10-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-03-23-10-46.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2,177
Last edited:

jhenderson81

May 2, 2012
Phoenix
Hopefully this means slow ass Tmobile's release is right around the corner.

Hahaha! Thanks for the morning laugh. Wishful thinking but looks like we are forecasted for release early 2013 the earliest from what I've heard. Tmo is so slow to roll out their stuff; I completely agree with you on that!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

itsmikeramsay

Mar 25, 2009
Atlanta
Hopefully this means slow ass Tmobile's release is right around the corner.

Hahaha! Thanks for the morning laugh. Wishful thinking but looks like we are forecasted for release early 2013 the earliest from what I've heard. Tmo is so slow to roll out their stuff; I completely agree with you on that!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

T-Mobile is trying to release 4.1.2 to our SGS3 instead of 4.1.1....In addition to 4.2 to follow shortly there after in Q1 2013....

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1979714

That'll link to the link ;) where I heard about 4.1.2. Or more specifically heard it implied! 1st paragraph mentions AT&T getting official JB next week, but it says 4.1.2. Could be a typo, not sure.
But it stands to reason that if Sammy passed 4.1.2 to ATT, they've done the same for the rest. I'm expecting its a typo.

I did read somewhere else that the 4.1.1 updates are still coming as planned, but we can expect 4.1.2 in Q1 of next year. Wish I could remember where I saw it! That'd be cool though if it got fasttracked to us! Regardless of the version, I'm looking forward to yet another JB release to mess with!

Looking forward to your feedback on this one! Thanks guys!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: tgamble160

itsmikeramsay

Mar 25, 2009
Atlanta
Just FYI, for those who may not go back and check!
Added info and battery screenshots to Posts 2 and 3!

On that note.....Downloading NOW! lol

Here's the source I got the initial info from which came from a Samsung insider.....plus I know someone who works in corporate division of T-Mobile....

http://androidspin.com/2012/11/06/samsung-insider-states-android-4-1-2-in-testing-for-galaxy-s-iii-and-4-2-updates-coming-later/

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Just FYI, for those who may not go back and check!
Added info and battery screenshots to Posts 2 and 3!

Could SystemUI from T-Mobile's LI8 fix the HSPA+ showing up since it's all tied into the statusbar?

Reactions: DocHoliday77

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
On that note.....Downloading NOW! lol

Here's the source I got the initial info from which came from a Samsung insider.....plus I know someone who works in corporate division of T-Mobile....

http://androidspin.com/2012/11/06/s...or-galaxy-s-iii-and-4-2-updates-coming-later/

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Could SystemUI from T-Mobile's LI8 fix the HSPA+ showing up since it's all tied into the statusbar?

That's the link I was looking for! Thanks!

I don't think it'd be just in SystemUI. I think it also requires the framework. Also I haven't determined/tested yet if swapping it out will cause any other problems with general functionality and resource ids.
Ill certainly give it a shot though! Thanks!

itsmikeramsay

Mar 25, 2009
Atlanta

I don't think it'd be just in SystemUI. I think it also requires the framework. Also I haven't determined/tested yet if swapping it out will cause any other problems with general functionality and resource ids.

I will as well....I'm gonna theme the SystemUI anyways a bit to reflect more of a stock JB look....thats my preference anyways ;)

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

Last question bro....does this have Advance Power Menu?

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Right on! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

No advanced power menu. For now my initial goal is to have a plain stock build that'd be good enough for t-mobile to release! :cool:
Once Im satisfied with it (probably before) ill start on a modded version. I mostly wanted to try to achieve a build that isn't restricted by the bugs we have in our current leaks. Basically a good, stable base for me, and hopefully other devs, to work from!

That said, if you do modify anything, and care to share it, by all means, please do! I know most people here will appreciate it!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Official Sprint JB Build VPBLJ7
    Port to T-Mobile SGH-T999

This is a fully stock port of Sprints Official Jellybean release, build VPBLJ7.

Based on the official stock firmware released by sextape and patched with T-Mobiles latest JB leak UVDLI8.​

My ultimate goal with this is to have a fully working, stock JB release that is stable enough to match our upcoming official release from T-Mobile! In the end, this will contain a lot of what you would expect to find in T-Mobile's release, yes this includes some bloat! (Not all bloat!) From there, I will try to get out some modded variants to play with!
    Hopefully, you will find this to already be good enough to use as your daily driver. (I have been running this version for the last week and have had virtually no issues at all!) I made the initial port in the first few days after Sprint's release, and after some tests and adjustments, I feel it is already quite close to meeting my goal! :fingers-crossed:

Goals:
    Fast and Stable enough to rival T-Mobiles unreleased official JB!
    Provide a good daily driver to satisfy those who just...can't....wait!
    Provide a strong, stable base for developers to play with!

:cowboy: FEATURES :cowboy:
    Code:
    [CENTER]Sprint Build VPBLJ7 + T-Mobile Leak UVDLI8
    Insecure Stock UVDLI8 Kernel
    Init.d support
    Deodexed
    Zipaligned
    CarrierIQ Free
    Rooted with latest SuperSU 0.97
    Latest BusyBox 1.20.2 from Linus Yang
    Good Battery Life!
    No Flickering![/CENTER]

:cowboy: What's Working :cowboy:
    Code:
    [CENTER]WiFi Band Selection
    HSPA+21/+42 confirmed!

WiFi Tethering / Hotspot
    (Use Sprint Hotspot App)

BT Tethering
    Camera/Camcorder + audio
    exFat Support
    Smart Stay
    Smart Rotation
    Play Store - T-Mobile Account Billing[/CENTER]

Not Working
    Code:
    [CENTER]Bluetooth Calling
    It has been reported that there are problems with making and receiving calls via Bluetooth. 
    Data and streaming seem to work fine.  I am working on a fix now.  Thanks for your patience guys!

WiFi Calling
    (I will try to either port the code into this ROM, and/or I will make a second one which trades Smart Rotation for this)

4G Reporting
    (So far it only shows 3G in the Status Bar, and UMTS:3 as Mobile Network Type)
    (I have been able to fix it so it does connect to HSPA+, it is only the reporting that is wrong.)[/CENTER]

The only "extra" I have added to this rom is the WiFi Band Switcher.
    It will allow you to switch between Auto, 2.4GHz, and 5.0GHz for your wireless connection!
    I know this is technically not stock, but it brings back previous stock functionality which should never have been removed!

Huge Thanks to madmack from the International GS3 forum for his work and allowing me to use it here!!!
    Please visit his thread and Thank him for this!
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1891970

DOWNLOAD!
    T999_Sprint_VPBLJ7_Port3​
    MD5: b424c507aca432f3745453039d283659​

For best results, perform a Factory Reset prior to flashing this in Recovery.
    Flash as you would any other ROM!
    Enjoy!!!
    :cool: :victory: :cool:

Thanks to everyone for the fantastic feedback!

Check out the Jellybomb theme ported by wcoast!
    Dont forget to thank him for his work! :highfive:
    I can't wait to start getting feedback from everybody! Naturally, let me know of any bugs/issues you have, but there are one or two things I would like for someone to confirm for me.

As I mentioned, HSPA+21 seems to be working just fine for me, and it is just the reporting of your connection type that is wrong. I do not have HSPA+42 in my area, so if someone who does can run some speed tests and report back that would be great! I fully expect it to be working, but as I said, I just cannot confirm this myself.
    I can verify +21 in that I consistently am getting downlink speeds between 9-12Mbps! As far as I can remember, this would not be possible on any pre-hspa+21 tech, and these are the speeds which can often be expected on a +21 network.
    I am hoping to see some reports of 17-22Mbps, or greater, from some of you lucky folks in an area with +42!
    I believe the problem lies in Sprint's framework, since it wasn't coded to ever expect or use hspa+. I should be able to add this in...we will see!

Another thing I am hoping for verification on, and doubt itll take long to get, is WiFi Tethering. It does work for me, and I am on the Android Preferred 5GB plan which is not supposed to have Tethering support, so I fully expect it to work for everyone! I would just like to get confirmation of this in case I am only able to use it because of something left over from my old plan. Doubtful, but you never know!

NOTE: About exFat support. I did confirm that you can use a sdcard formated as exFat. However, I do not recommend this, use Fat32 if possible. The main reason for this, is the lack of support for it beyond this rom. Other kernels will likely not be able to make use of this format, and currently, neither CWM nor TWRP are able to. So if you are trying out different stuff, or are a flash addict, you will only run into problems down the line.
    I would only recommend using exFat if you are using a 64GB micro SDXC, and are planning to stay with a single rom for a while.

Regarding WiFi Calling. I know this is a major feature for a lot of you, so I will probably release a second version of this rom that carries wifi calling support. The current port has all of the required components, and I believe is ready for WiFi calling, but since this is a Sprint build, it did not include the options in the Settings menus to enable it. If I do go with a second version, for now, it will be a trade off of sorts. You will likely have to give up Smart Rotation, and potentially other features. I will do my best to minimize this, and i will be trying to port WiFi calling into the current build so we can get the best of everything!

If anyone has any tips, or insight into any of this, I would be happy to hear it!

Remember, this is intended to be a Stock build only. Extra mods and features will not be included, though you are welcome to post them if you have them for others to use! Im planning on releasing modded versions in the near future as well. And provided it turns out to be good enough, I will be looking forward to what else our devs can do with this one!

I tested as much as I could as thoroughly as I could, but I am sure some of you will find some issues I did not.

In the end, I just hope you guys enjoy the rom and everyone finds at least parts of it to be useful!
    Happy Flashing!!! :cowboy:
    all credit to joshbeach [team venum] http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32243691&postcount=3 please stop by and click his thanks button.

Special thanks to doc for his dedication and consistent support

enjoy guys
    http://www.mediafire.com/?1aaabcm213afcpn

thank you for sharing my work. :)
    Cool mods

All credit to joshbeach [Team VeNuM] http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32243691&postcount=3 please stop by and click his thanks button.

Special thanks to Doc for his dedication and consistent support

Enjoy guys
    http://www.mediafire.com/?1aaabcm213afcpn
    1000 Thanks!!!

I am having so much fun with this ROM guys. We really need to show some luv to Doc for great and well done ROM.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

<------------------- CHECK IT OUT!!!
    I broke the 1000 Thanks threshold!!! Awesome! Feels Good!
    Thank you all for the appreciation! It certainly can help with keeping motivated! :cowboy: