Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,939 Members 50,109 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CELL STANDBY battery drain solution on stock

Tip us?

mzaidel
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default CELL STANDBY battery drain solution on stock

After being frustrated for a couple of weeks and wanting to return my s3 due to overnight cell standby batty drain of around 40-50% (from full charge with no use overnight, I finally called Samsung tech support and they told me to power down, take out the battery and reinsert, and use the original charger ONLY (i was using a old clamshell phone's charger that I found lying around rather than the one that came with the phone. I freakin can't believe it but it solved the issue for me!!! I only lost about 4 percent overnight. I was soooo pissed before, but now I love my s3 again )

Curious to hear if this works for others who have also been frustrated with this awesome device...
The Following User Says Thank You to mzaidel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thatsupnow
Old
Thanks Meter 352
That's been a known problem since the beginning and there was a fix zip floating around, flashed it and my cell standby is only ever 1-2% max 6%

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda premium
Samsung Galaxy s5 - Bobcat ROM 1.0
KT kernel 2.7 GHZ

Other phones:

Samsung Galaxy S4 I337M
Samsung Galaxy S3 I747M
Sony Play, Arc, X10

Susido
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Well just restarting my phone works to "fix" the massive battery drain issue (presumably because cell standby is using about 60% of my battery) but it will be back in a few days. While I do sometimes use more than one battery charger,I don't think this is related to using something other than the original charger but that is something I can test. Thanks for that tip.

This is one of the 3 big problems I have with this phone (the others being random loss of service presumably due to LTE network deficiencies and the face proximity sensor acting to disable the screen whenever I try to touch the screen with my finger). Since mine is a replacement phone for another S3 with the exact same issues, I'm assuming there is no real fix for these problems (for a stock phone). Yes, I have learned to hate my phone...

Noodile
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsupnow View Post
That's been a known problem since the beginning and there was a fix zip floating around, flashed it and my cell standby is only ever 1-2% max 6%

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda premium
can i get a link please

expertzero1
Old
Thanks Meter 368
Yeah happened to me last night had 60 percent to 0 on paranoid android

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

munchmadiq
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I found that letting the battery drain until the phone dies and then charging iy conpletely while off helped my sleep drain significantly. That and un installing apps that have numerous wakelocks such as facebook.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to munchmadiq For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thatsupnow
Old
Thanks Meter 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodile View Post
can i get a link please
here flash this
Attached Files
File Type: zip cell_stand by_Fix.zip - [Click for QR Code] (510.1 KB, 5883 views)
Samsung Galaxy s5 - Bobcat ROM 1.0
KT kernel 2.7 GHZ

Other phones:

Samsung Galaxy S4 I337M
Samsung Galaxy S3 I747M
Sony Play, Arc, X10
The Following User Says Thank You to thatsupnow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

themadproducer
Old
Thanks Meter 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaidel View Post
After being frustrated for a couple of weeks and wanting to return my s3 due to overnight cell standby batty drain of around 40-50% (from full charge with no use overnight, I finally called Samsung tech support and they told me to power down, take out the battery and reinsert, and use the original charger ONLY (i was using a old clamshell phone's charger that I found lying around rather than the one that came with the phone. I freakin can't believe it but it solved the issue for me!!! I only lost about 4 percent overnight. I was soooo pissed before, but now I love my s3 again )

Curious to hear if this works for others who have also been frustrated with this awesome device...
The Cell Standby Fix posted above me...which I use as well...does not fix a DRAIN...it fixes a false reporting of the drain. Charger has nothing to do with it. That was a fluke or a misrepresentation.
Samsung Galaxy S3 I747m - 2gb Ram/LTE, Stock Rom Rogers LH1, ICS rooted CWM 6.12 (as of February 10 2013)

RedSkulll
Old
Thanks Meter 3
i turned off the voip services that i had running and now it discharges only about 15-20% over night

tmagritte
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Do a search for gsiff_daemon. That is most likely the cause of your problem and while I can't say for sure, I suspect the charger advice worked coincidentally due to the problem being fixed temporarily by powering down and restarting.

Sadly, I don't know of Samsung admitting to this issue and it looks like even the jelly bean update does not fix it.