Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Is dual-booting possible on the Note 2 - N7100?

OP pransh

23rd November 2012, 02:27 AM   |  #11  
Flag Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Thanks Meter: 253

713 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrrlag

Can we get a nice clear post in from a dev about a) whether or it's a definite possiblity we can get the GN2 dualbooting? and b) what needs doing? (Many thanks to fishingfon for what we have so far). The thought of flipping from PA over to a TW rom for Spen functionality on the fly is awesome
Its also my understanding that the spen stuff is an issue because of the source availability? up samsungs basically.....

Hi,
I talked with Gokhan Moral (he is a elite recognised dev) about the possibility of getting dual boot on the note 2.
And he said that as the hardware is very simple to the s3, it shouldn't be too hard to get the dual boot from his siyar kernel working on the note 2.
And seeing that dual boot is available on the s3 and note 1, it is almost definitely possible to get it working on the note 2

If anyone knows of a compiler that works with the note 2 kernel, i would be very grateful if they could share it.

Cheers
Corey

Edit:
It's my understanding, that you can get everything you need to make the kernel, from the source code that samsung has provided, and by extracting some things like the initramfs from the ZImage. So you should still get full spen functionality, although I may be wrong :P

Corey

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by fishingfon; 23rd November 2012 at 02:31 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fishingfon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th November 2012, 03:38 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 3

4 posts
This would be awsome... Love TW features but i would like to have a more Vanilla OS from time to time...
24th November 2012, 09:30 PM   |  #13  
Flag Kecskemét
Thanks Meter: 23

52 posts
More
I think we need a kernel dev instead of whining , the sad thing i don't know any

kalgan
Last edited by kalgan; 25th November 2012 at 09:20 PM.
10th December 2012, 10:38 AM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 91

1,911 posts
Any news of dual boot?
10th December 2012, 12:08 PM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 1

77 posts
Thumbs up
Could be great!!!

Thank you.
11th December 2012, 08:57 AM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 91

1,911 posts
Such an interest..!

Sent from my whitey i9100
14th December 2012, 04:31 PM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 8

17 posts
Yes, please! I need dual boot on my Note 2!

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk 2
14th December 2012, 05:34 PM   |  #18  

713 posts
More
If someone could help me find out two things, I wouldn then be able to start trying to compile the dual boot kernel I am trying to make.
I have googled lots ect and asked on xda, but no one seems to know.

If someone could help try and find out:
Firstly, what The N7100 partition layout is,

And secondly, if someone could find out how to then edit the Ramfs from a different device with the new partition layout from the note 2.

Cheers
Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
17th December 2012, 08:27 PM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 25

375 posts
I wish Dual boot and Voodoo sound gets ported to Note2 ASAP. I seems to have posted elsewhere but I did discuss the possibilities with Gokhanmoral and he may be willing to help us in the port as he personally do not wish to develop a kernel for a device he do not own.

Siyah's port of Voodoo sound is already available for us through the latest RedPill and Perseus kernels, however dual boot option is yet to be ported. I wish to contribute towards the development if I could help in anyway.
18th December 2012, 12:53 AM   |  #20  

713 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prankey

I wish Dual boot and Voodoo sound gets ported to Note2 ASAP. I seems to have posted elsewhere but I did discuss the possibilities with Gokhanmoral and he may be willing to help us in the port as he personally do not wish to develop a kernel for a device he do not own.

Siyah's port of Voodoo sound is already available for us through the latest RedPill and Perseus kernels, however dual boot option is yet to be ported. I wish to contribute towards the development if I could help in anyway.

Hi,
I am already in the process of porting the dual boot.
I have changed the partition layout in the ramfs, and I am at the moment just going thru all the files double checking I didn't miss anything..

If the dual boot does work when I have finished (fingers crossed lol) then I could really use someone who knows how to add cm sources to the kernel, so that dual boot is possible with cm and stock roms (I an not a C programmer, i am normaly only a c# and java, so i am not to sure how to do that :P ) .

I have also been in contact with Gokhanmoral, and he's been giving me lots of help with what to do ect.

Cheers
Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fishingfon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread