Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,725 Members 37,800 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Nook HD+] Nook HD and HD+ rooting instructions (now permanent)

Tip us?

verygreen
Old
(Last edited by verygreen; 17th November 2012 at 07:53 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2,576

DONATE TO ME
Red face [Nook HD+] Nook HD and HD+ rooting instructions (now permanent)

How to root Nook HD+ (and Nook HD too, I guess).
(Thanks for some useful ideas to sparkym3: http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=4411543 )

(tested only on 2.0.0 version (as comes out of the box), also works on 2.0.2

Get one of the attached files: root_win.zip if you are on windows, or root_unix.tgz if you are on Linux or Mac.

unpack the file to some dir and run "makeroot" on Windows or "sh makeroot.sh" on Mac/Linux

After a couple of reboots you should be able to do
adb shell and issue a "su" command in the shell and get the root prompt (#).

Thanks to someone0 for his prior investigations here.

Known bugs:
Superuser.apk does not really install because package manager could not be contacted.

Oh, and I think you'll find this interesting too:
Attached Files
File Type: zip root_win.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.33 MB, 6211 views)
File Type: gz root_unix.tar.gz - [Click for QR Code] (1.32 MB, 1655 views)
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to verygreen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fattire
Old
(Last edited by fattire; 9th November 2012 at 08:30 AM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,392
Hai.

Kind of a two-fer, eh?

verygreen
Old
Thanks Meter 2,576

DONATE TO ME
I noticed that people see their Nook HDs restoring to factory settings after 8 unsuccessful reboots next time you boot after rooting, so possibly there's some extra check somewhere.
Very sneaky on the B&N side, I'd say.

roustabout
Old
(Last edited by roustabout; 9th November 2012 at 09:49 AM.)
Thanks Meter 195
Hm, the 8 failed boot = wipe and restore has been true since the NC, and is valuable because it helps keep the device from getting bricked, also triggerable if the registration token doesn't match BN's reg token. I learned this early on by restoring a backup made before I'd erased and deregistered. I forget where the token lives, in /data/ somewhere.

I'll take a look at this on 2.0.2 this weekend - mine updated before I got ADB working so it restores to 2.0.2 now...

OK, so this approach does work with the 2.0.2 OS, and restarting the device does put it into a boot cycle. Very nasty.

Before I rebooted, I removed the post_boot_hook file and also got rid of the symlink; I'd say BN is doing some kind of inventory of what's in system and driving a reflash based on that.

My guess is it's not a very careful inventory, but it'll certainly be amenable to study now that we can get, at least temporarily, root.

Hm. Interesting -- my ability to mkdir /data/su is now gone after the restore. I wasn't able to do it the first time I tried, either - I suspect that there's something keeping some level of eye on that.

Oh, very uncool - in addition to resetting the system, they wipe personal data in the process. Losing the apps doesn't surprise me much. Losing the books I'd sideloaded surprises me.
The Following User Says Thank You to roustabout For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MrCamby
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by roustabout View Post
Hm, the 8 failed boot = wipe and restore has been true since the NC, and is valuable because it helps keep the device from getting bricked, also triggerable if the registration token doesn't match BN's reg token. I learned this early on by restoring a backup made before I'd erased and deregistered. I forget where the token lives, in /data/ somewhere.

I'll take a look at this on 2.0.2 this weekend - mine updated before I got ADB working so it restores to 2.0.2 now...

OK, so this approach does work with the 2.0.2 OS, and restarting the device does put it into a boot cycle. Very nasty.

Before I rebooted, I removed the post_boot_hook file and also got rid of the symlink; I'd say BN is doing some kind of inventory of what's in system and driving a reflash based on that.

My guess is it's not a very careful inventory, but it'll certainly be amenable to study now that we can get, at least temporarily, root.

Hm. Interesting -- my ability to mkdir /data/su is now gone after the restore. I wasn't able to do it the first time I tried, either - I suspect that there's something keeping some level of eye on that.

Oh, very uncool - in addition to resetting the system, they wipe personal data in the process. Losing the apps doesn't surprise me much. Losing the books I'd sideloaded surprises me.
Do the new HD & HD+ still allow you boot from the external sd card ?

krylon360
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3,115

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by roustabout View Post

if you put your books into /system/media, it will back them up to the cloud
If my post helped you, be sure to click the Thanks button.
Follow me on Twitter
Current Projects-
CYANOGENMOD for the NOOK COLOR

Past Projects
AOKP - Nook Color
RootzBoat - VZW GNEX
NEXUS S - PURE BIONIX 2.3.7 AOSP[/B]
SGS4G - CWM, Bionix Frost, Bionix Black Ice, Gingerbread Hacking. CM7
Samsung Vibrant - Past Project(s) - Bionix Frost, Bionix-V, 1.3.1, 1.3.0, Obsidian, Nero
LG G2X - Past Project - Bionix 2 / CWM
SK4G Past Project- CWM
The Following User Says Thank You to krylon360 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

leapinlar
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,609

DONATE TO ME
Is it possible to push a new recovery with adb after rooting? The 8 failed boot repair is only possible with the stock recovery. But then again you may end up in an endless bootloop without it there to finish it's task. But maybe you can find and delete the trigger flag that starts the process.
See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2/CM11 here

krylon360
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3,115

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
Is it possible to push a new recovery with adb after rooting? The 8 failed boot repair is only possible with the stock recovery. But then again you may end up in an endless bootloop without it there to finish it's task. But maybe you can find and delete the trigger flag that starts the process.
stuff is best to be not mentioned. /sarcasm.....
If my post helped you, be sure to click the Thanks button.
Follow me on Twitter
Current Projects-
CYANOGENMOD for the NOOK COLOR

Past Projects
AOKP - Nook Color
RootzBoat - VZW GNEX
NEXUS S - PURE BIONIX 2.3.7 AOSP[/B]
SGS4G - CWM, Bionix Frost, Bionix Black Ice, Gingerbread Hacking. CM7
Samsung Vibrant - Past Project(s) - Bionix Frost, Bionix-V, 1.3.1, 1.3.0, Obsidian, Nero
LG G2X - Past Project - Bionix 2 / CWM
SK4G Past Project- CWM
The Following User Says Thank You to krylon360 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

verygreen
Old
Thanks Meter 2,576

DONATE TO ME
recovery is signed, so it's not super easy to replace it with anything that would run.
The unsigned bootloader trick at the moment requires a boot from sdcard.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to verygreen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

someone0
Old
Thanks Meter 232
shouldn't step 8 & 9 be outside the code block?