Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,482 Members 53,631 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Nook HD+] Nook HD and HD+ rooting instructions (now permanent)

Tip us?

leapinlar
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3571

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkpig View Post
I guess mine is either not rooted or superuser problem.

Can I just sideload a superuser?
Did you try to open superuser in your launcher? And yes, you can sideload it if you want to replace it. But unless you have su also installed, it will still not work.

Sent from my Nook HD+ using Tapatalk
See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2/CM11 here

ssssww
Old
(Last edited by ssssww; 18th November 2012 at 12:28 PM.) Reason: oops, more grammar error :(
Thanks Meter 5
Default For people who have problem with the posted script

I just want to make it clear that this is an awesome hack and thank you so much for the files.

So, here is how I did it.

a. If you are doing this on linux, make sure to use PTP and set all that debuging mode.
( Storage Management -> USB connectivity[first item] -> check 'Camera (PTP)' )
( Device Information -> Developer options -> {I just checked all three of them} )

I am quite sure the origianlly posted scripts has been tested before posting, yet I had some problem with it and

b. if you are familiar with linux, good for you, just fix the script to work as expected.

BUT, If you are n00b like me, just download the attachment.

I made just tiny bit of modification on the script.
(if you see success at least once, you are good; I just do not know how to do this more gracefully)

Try su root to see it works.

Just in case anyone is interested in the problems that I had with the script, here they are:

1. rm does not support flags ( '-rf' is considered as name of a file); use rmdir instead
2. since you do not have permission to view, you do not have permission to chmod files as well; use specific path
3. adb's wait-on-devices option just waits for device to boot up, this does not wait for the system; so wait just a bit longer before installing the file or try to install it again and again until succeeds.

ps.
If this attachment causes a problem, remove the post please or notify me to do so.
Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: tar scriptModified.tar - [Click for QR Code] (2.03 MB, 64 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ssssww For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

verygreen
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2562

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssssww View Post
1. rm does not support flags ( '-rf' is considered as name of a file); use rmdir instead
Hm, indeed. not sure how dd this get through.

Quote:
2. since you do not have permission to view, you do not have permission to chmod files as well; use specific path
If you refer to "adb shell chmod 0755 /data/boot_complete_hook.sh /data/su/*" - we DO have permissions to view that, we just created that path.

Quote:
3. adb's wait-on-devices option just waits for device to boot up, this does not wait for the system; so wait just a bit longer before installing the file or try to install it again and again until succeeds.
Yes, I guess this race does need to be eliminated.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll update my scripts.

someone0
Old
Thanks Meter 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by verygreen View Post
If you refer to "adb shell chmod 0755 /data/boot_complete_

It's a fair point on the wait-for-devices option. But I wonder if that's very the case? I mean it's not just waiting for the device to be booting up, but rather waiting for adb server on the device to be started. So, in a way, wouldn't many if not most of the things we need would already be operational. I remember when I reboot mine, adb wouldn't see the device until the device is like 80-90%.

deamonfruba
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm a little technology illiterate, although I did manage to root my old Nook Color. I just got a new Nook HD today though and I just want to double check: is the original post on this thread updated with what's been found and does it work for those of us who can't change code?

pnkpig
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
Did you try to open superuser in your launcher? And yes, you can sideload it if you want to replace it. But unless you have su also installed, it will still not work.

Thank you. Finally figured out my problem: the ES file explorer I installed is an older version. I downloaded the current version from its homepage and it worked! Thank you again for the helps from you and other members.

leapinlar
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3571

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkpig View Post
Thank you. Finally figured out my problem: the ES file explorer I installed is an older version. I downloaded the current version from its homepage and it worked! Thank you again for the helps from you and other members.
I had a similar problem with an older version of SQLite Editor. It would not gain superuser access. Finally I upgraded to the latest version and it worked. So lesson learned, don't use old software. Of course the opposite is true sometimes. If a new version does not work, try an older version and it might.

See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2/CM11 here

ssssww
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by verygreen View Post
Hm, indeed. not sure how dd this get through.

If you refer to "adb shell chmod 0755 /data/boot_complete_hook.sh /data/su/*" - we DO have permissions to view that, we just created that path.

I totally agree with you on chmod part but

when I tried to view them while rooting my device,

I did not have any permission to view files under /data/su

(very weird behavior indeed; maybe it is just my NOOK acting up).

I just wanted to clarify why I did that.

Anyways, again, thanks for the hard work

Delta^1_1
Old
(Last edited by Delta^1_1; 21st November 2012 at 07:07 PM.) Reason: Copy & paste error
Thanks Meter 2
Default Problems with permissions

The different approaches mentioned in this thread don't work for me. This is not a problem with getting adb to work; adb shell and adb push work just fine.

The problem is that adb's work on the Nook is done using the "shell" account, and the permissions for the /data directory do not allow this account to create files there. For example:

$ adb push boot_complete_hook.sh /data/boot_complete_hook.sh
failed to copy 'boot_complete_hook.sh' to '/data/boot_complete_hook.sh': Permission denied

Copying files to /data/local works okay, because /data/local is owned by shell. But /data isn't:

$ adb shell ls -ld /data
drwxrwx--x system system 2012-11-19 14:20 data

My Nook's software version is 2.0.2. I'm using Linux on my PC, but that probably does not account for the problem. Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this? Or can anyone suggest a different rooting approach?

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

[QUOTE=Alan Stern;34459672]The different approaches mentioned in this thread don't work for me. This is not a problem with getting adb to work; adb shell and adb push work just fine.

The problem is that adb's work on the Nook is done using the "shell" account, and the permissions for the /data directory do not allow this account to create files there. For example:
[\QUOTE]

Never mind. That's what the whole "reroute /data/local/tmp" business is about. Now I've got that figured out, everything is working as expected.

Divine_Madcat
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2214
Per my new announcement here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2#post34478962
I am closing this thread. Please follow the "Request a new forum" link, and let the staff know a board for the HD is needed.

My Phones:
HTC Blue Angel (retired)
HTC x7501 (retired)
HTC Incredible, w/ AOKP (GPS use)
HTC Rezound (backup phone)
Samsung Galaxy S4 w/ GPE 4.4.2

My Tablets
B&N Nook Color, w/ CM10
HP Touchpad w/ CM10
Google Nexus 7 w/ Stock Rom (STOLEN.... )
Google Nexus 7 (2013) w/ Stock Rom & Glitch Kernel

If you have any problems or questions, do not hesitate to ask. I don't bite!