FORUMS

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more

Optimize Battery Life with This Useful App

Battery life is an important aspect of your smartphone, especially if you use it for more … more

The OnePlus 2 & The Year of Smartphone Compromises

We are very close to entering the last third of 2015, and we have now seen many of … more

OnePlus 2 Teardown, Major Android Vulnerability – XDA TV

The OnePlus 2 has been officially released. That and much more news is … more

[Q] SGH-i777 Power button not responding at ALL

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By Phone Oblivious, Junior Member on 1st May 2013, 12:34 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hello

I just registered for this site. I watched the video explaining to me that I'm a noob, and appreciated it. It put me in my place.

I have a Samsung Galaxy s II (for at&t; SGH-i777)

It is about a year and a half old.

I have not rooted it, everything on it is as if it were out of the box. Nothing is changed from the default settings.

I have upgraded to 4.0.4 though.

About a couple days ago, the power button stopped responding completely. I took out the battery and reinserted it which caused the phone to restart but did nothing for my problem. I have called Samsung (they told me to send it in for repairs: costing $70) I would love to get it repaired without sending it in or parying that amount. I have seen options of getting it rooted, downloading an app to transfer the powere button function over to the Volume down button function, but I don't really know how to go about that.

Therefore, I ask you, O'people of XDAdevelopers, do I have any other options? I did search the site for a problem similar to mine, but everyone else has their phone rooted. I am also unfamiliar to any technical terms. I am a noob to the fullest. I don't know how to root the device or even what things would be neccessary to root it.

Any help would be much appreciated it. I am willing to do anything.

1st May 2013, 03:40 PM |#2  
USA
Thanks Meter: 175

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone Oblivious

Hello

I just registered for this site. I watched the video explaining to me that I'm a noob, and appreciated it. It put me in my place.

I have a Samsung Galaxy s II (for at&t; SGH-i777)

It is about a year and a half old.

I have not rooted it, everything on it is as if it were out of the box. Nothing is changed from the default settings.

I have upgraded to 4.0.4 though.

About a couple days ago, the power button stopped responding completely. I took out the battery and reinserted it which caused the phone to restart but did nothing for my problem. I have called Samsung (they told me to send it in for repairs: costing $70) I would love to get it repaired without sending it in or parying that amount. I have seen options of getting it rooted, downloading an app to transfer the powere button function over to the Volume down button function, but I don't really know how to go about that.

Therefore, I ask you, O'people of XDAdevelopers, do I have any other options? I did search the site for a problem similar to mine, but everyone else has their phone rooted. I am also unfamiliar to any technical terms. I am a noob to the fullest. I don't know how to root the device or even what things would be neccessary to root it.

Any help would be much appreciated it. I am willing to do anything.

As far as rooting and finding software workarounds, you can easily find all of that info by searching and looking at the stickies.

From a hardware perspective, I would recommend taking apart the back shell of the phone, and try to see if the power button responds by pressing it without its plastic cover piece.
The Following User Says Thank You to dsmboost For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th May 2013, 12:33 AM |#3  
Flag Philly
Thanks Meter: 1,569

Donate to Me
More
If you have any soldering ability you can replace the part yourself for under 10 dollars. Search eBay for it

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=380500208422

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium
Last edited by jthatch12; 4th May 2013 at 12:35 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jthatch12 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th May 2013, 01:43 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmboost

As far as rooting and finding software workarounds, you can easily find all of that info by searching and looking at the stickies.

From a hardware perspective, I would recommend taking apart the back shell of the phone, and try to see if the power button responds by pressing it without its plastic cover piece.

Hey man thanks for the help. I didn't get a chance to try out your method. A couple days ago, I woke up and the problem was completely gone. The power button was fully-functional and my phone was working perfectly.

Unfortunately, today, my phone has started acting up again. It keeps restarting on its own. It shuts down while I'm using it and it restarts. Nothing seems different so I start using the phone again, and it happens again (it restarts). Its restarted today around 7 times. My power button is functional at the moment, but I remember this exact sequence of events leading up to my initial problem where the phone's power button stopped responding.

What do you recommend?
4th May 2013, 01:51 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthatch12

If you have any soldering ability you can replace the part yourself for under 10 dollars. Search eBay for it

Thanks for the help.

I have no such ability. I could follow instructions but I myself am not good with that type of stuff. Fortunately though, this wasn't necessary. The power button started working on its own again without me having to do anything. Everything was fine until today, my phone has started acting up again. It keeps restarting on its own. It shuts down while I'm using it and it restarts. Nothing seems different so I start using the phone again, and it happens again (it restarts). Its restarted today around 7 times. My power button is functional at the moment, but I remember this exact sequence of events leading up to my initial problem where the phone's power button stopped responding.

What do you recommend?
4th May 2013, 02:06 AM |#6  
Flag Philly

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks for the help.

I have no such ability. I could follow instructions but I myself am not good with that type of stuff. Fortunately though, this wasn't necessary. The power button started working on its own again without me having to do anything. Everything was fine until today, my phone has started acting up again. It keeps restarting on its own. It shuts down while I'm using it and it restarts. Nothing seems different so I start using the phone again, and it happens again (it restarts). Its restarted today around 7 times. My power button is functional at the moment, but I remember this exact sequence of events leading up to my initial problem where the phone's power button stopped responding.

What do you recommend?

Get it fixed. Complete failure is eminent at this point. I'm on my second I777 because of it

The Following User Says Thank You to jthatch12 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th May 2013, 10:12 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

Get it fixed. Complete failure is eminent at this point. I'm on my second I777 because of it

Wait.. so even though the phone is working fine today, there's still the possibility that its going to completely fail? It stopped restarting on its own once I took the cover off. I had the Otterbox cover for SGH-i777 on it, but once I removed the cover, the phone has been working fine. Do you think there's a connection between the cover and the restarts? (I would post the link for the otterbox cover to show you, but I can't post links since I'm still a newcomer)
The Following User Says Thank You to Phone Oblivious For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th May 2013, 11:04 PM |#8  
Flag Philly

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Wait.. so even though the phone is working fine today, there's still the possibility that its going to completely fail? It stopped restarting on its own once I took the cover off. I had the Otterbox cover for SGH-i777 on it, but once I removed the cover, the phone has been working fine. Do you think there's a connection between the cover and the restarts? (I would post the link for the otterbox cover to show you, but I can't post links since I'm still a newcomer)

I believe there is a connection between cases and the power button failure

5th May 2013, 01:39 AM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

I believe there is a connection between cases and the power button failure

Once again, thanks for the help. So you think I'm fine now? No need to change the button or get the phone repaired? I should be fine now?
6th May 2013, 03:51 AM |#10  
Flag Philly

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Once again, thanks for the help. So you think I'm fine now? No need to change the button or get the phone repaired? I should be fine now?

Possibly. I was experiencing reboots months ago with a trident case. I'm now using no case and haven't had any issues.

6th May 2013, 12:51 PM |#11  
Flag Ukiah, CA
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

Fortunately though, this wasn't necessary. The power button started working on its own again without me having to do anything. Everything was fine until today, my phone has started acting up again. It keeps restarting on its own. It shuts down while I'm using it and it restarts. Nothing seems different so I start using the phone again, and it happens again (it restarts). Its restarted today around 7 times. My power button is functional at the moment, but I remember this exact sequence of events leading up to my initial problem where the phone's power button stopped responding.

First off, have you checked to see if thereís another update? There were two 4.0.4 updates released for this phone. There was one back in January, I believe, that introduced the sleep of death problem, as well as causing a lot or seemingly random reboots. Some of the problems you describe definitely sound like these. They released another update around March that was supposed to fix these problems. That update is also 4.0.4, but should be UCLL6.

The power button issue is also a well known problem. When mine starts acting up, the first thing that happens is Iíll press the power button and the power menu will come up as if Iím holding the button down. Then a few seconds later, the phone will reboot and usually the power button doesnít work after. Itís likely a design defect and will fail eventually, but there is a solution, if only temporary, that has worked for me and several others. If it starts happening again, pull your battery and press the power button repeatedly. Some people have gone so far as to press it several hundred times. I usually only press it a couple dozen times, but the problem does comes back for me eventually and I have to do it again. Interestingly, most of the people I've seen reporting this power button problem have had it start in the last couple months, around the year and a half mark. Not trying to say anything, but very awkward it started happening right as the Galaxy S4 was announced

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread