Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,368 Members 51,168 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can I activate portable Wi-Fi hotspot without paying AT&T?

Tip us?

jadalyle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Can I activate portable Wi-Fi hotspot without paying AT&T?

When my phone had Gingerbread on it, I could activate the portable Wi-Fi hotspot option without having to pay AT&T for the service. However, when I updated to ICS, I no longer have that option and my phone is telling me to ask AT&T to turn on the service.

Is there a way (or an app) to enable portable Wi-Fi hotspot on the S2 without having to go through AT&T?

Sincerely,
Jacob
AT&T Galaxy S2 SGH-i777
Non-Rooted
ICS 4.0.3

Nick281051
Old
Thanks Meter 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadalyle View Post
When my phone had Gingerbread on it, I could activate the portable Wi-Fi hotspot option without having to pay AT&T for the service. However, when I updated to ICS, I no longer have that option and my phone is telling me to ask AT&T to turn on the service.

Is there a way (or an app) to enable portable Wi-Fi hotspot on the S2 without having to go through AT&T?

Sincerely,
Jacob
AT&T Galaxy S2 SGH-i777
Non-Rooted
ICS 4.0.3
No legal way without rooting and installing custom roms as I understand it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
Current Phone: Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-I777

HTC Inspire 4g collecting dust

Old Phone: Samsung Captivate (At&t)- Returned
HTC Tilt 2 (AT&T)- Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx7621 View Post
Nice job bro! Not only have you insulted the dev of the rom thread you're posting in , but you also took offense to an internet forum post which has no bearing on your life! This is the internet bro. You've got to have a thick skin.

rpesta
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Try PdaNet, ClockworkMod Tether, or EasyTether Lite. Should all be available in Play Store.
The Following User Says Thank You to rpesta For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

djben75
Old
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpesta View Post
Try PdaNet, ClockworkMod Tether, or EasyTether Lite. Should all be available in Play Store.
I have used EasyTether Lite in the past and can say that AT&T never noticed. I find it much easier though to just root, and install custom ROM!(CM10 in my case)

djluis48
Old
Thanks Meter 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by djben75 View Post
I have used EasyTether Lite in the past and can say that AT&T never noticed. I find it much easier though to just root, and install custom ROM!(CM10 in my case)
+1.
Phone: Sony Xperia Z1
ROM: ~ Trying ROMs ~
Kernel: ~ Trying Kernels ~

technology151
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadalyle View Post

Sincerely,
Jacob
AT&T Galaxy S2 SGH-i777
Non-Rooted
ICS 4.0.3
Here is the complete tutorial on how to make a portable wifi hotspot using your android phone..: http://www.technology151.club/2014/0...ell-phone.html