FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] How do I stop automatic external SD mounting?

12 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By jim333, Junior Member on 15th December 2012, 02:17 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I am having issues with external SD cards. I have 16 and 32 gb cards and every 2-5 days they become corrupted/damaged/blank. I have to format them and copy my backup files over at least once per week. I have had no luck finding a good solution for the SD card problems. I notice that my SD card will randomly mount / media scan / antivirus SD card scan when I unlock my screen. I assume this is causing the problems. I want to leave my external SD card UNmounted until i want to use it, then i will manually mount it under settings. My problem is when i leave it unmounted, Android will automatically mount it later when my screen is off. How do i change this so that the external SD will ONLY mount when i manually mount it in settings?
Last edited by jim333; 15th December 2012 at 02:28 PM.

15th December 2012, 09:21 PM |#2  
Not sure. Sounds like you just need to leave the card out or maybe get rid of that antivirus

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to Red_81 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Red_81 Ad-Free
17th December 2012, 11:04 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
the antivirus isn't the problem, randomly whenever the screen is turned on, the micro SD re-mounts (it somehow unmounted when the screen was off)... when it re-mounts Android automatically does a media scan and my AV scans it like it just connected... over time the SD card fails or becomes corrupted so I have to format. I'm looking for a way to DISABLE Android from automatically mounting an external micro SD... I assume people on this forum are knowledgeable on Android coding... disabling this function shouldn't be that hard...
Last edited by jim333; 17th December 2012 at 11:13 PM.
18th December 2012, 06:24 PM |#4  
Flag Delaware
Thanks Meter: 2,057

More
Backup your micro sd. Wipe it clean. Make sure you format it with fat32 and not exfat. Put sd back in. Profit.
24th December 2012, 05:20 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
i have tried that several times.... perhaps i need to re-phrase the question....

Can someone please copy and paste the code within Android that automatically mounts an external SD card when it is inserted while the phone is on. Please also include the file name and directory. Thanks!
24th December 2012, 02:20 PM |#6  
Flag Delaware
Thanks Meter: 2,057

More
Well the problem is it's clearly either a hardware problem in the phone or that sd card. Wouldn't it be less of a pain to diagnose that and just try several other sd cards, then you wouldn't even have the issue anymore.
23rd December 2015, 12:33 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
i met same problem here, how did you get this right?
5th March 2016, 04:16 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I am in the same situation please provide a fix if you got it fixed
5th March 2016, 11:29 PM |#9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 2,613

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryvandal

I am in the same situation please provide a fix if you got it fixed

What ROM are you on? Do you have this device? Some newer ROMs have the ability to control the media scanner running at boot, which likely was the cause for these older issues.

An example of a current ROM having this is ResurrectionRemix.
Last edited by SteveMurphy; 6th March 2016 at 02:41 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveMurphy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SteveMurphy Ad-Free
9th March 2016, 08:14 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMurphy

What ROM are you on? Do you have this device? Some newer ROMs have the ability to control the media scanner running at boot, which likely was the cause for these older issues.

An example of a current ROM having this is ResurrectionRemix.

Rom is stock Android 4.4.

Does 4.4 have that feature? I am Rooted.
9th March 2016, 11:09 AM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 2,613

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryvandal

Rom is stock Android 4.4.

Does 4.4 have that feature? I am Rooted.

Stock will not have it, you will need to install a custom ROM that includes the Media Scanner setting (there are KK ROMs that support it). Look around in the Development forum and see if one is to your liking; if the ROM has the feature they will often include it in the first post. The Ported forum also has much to choose, including the ROM I noted in my reply above yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveMurphy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SteveMurphy Ad-Free

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)