Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,115 Members 52,387 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Straight Talk SGS2- SGH-S959G

Tip us?

razen_kain
Old
Thanks Meter 2064
Default Re: Straight Talk SGS2- SGH-S959G

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzSqueezeCheese View Post
I'm still on v1.3. How's v1.6 working?
Fantastic. Even on rav4kar profile

Sent from my SGH-S959G

trperic
Old
(Last edited by trperic; 23rd February 2013 at 09:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
MrCook or anyone who may know:

After flashing many different kinds of ROMS I tried the newest nightly CM10.1 from 2/22/13.

Everything seems to work except the screen rotation. I have double checked all my settings (launcher, accessibility, and display rotation settings), removed battery and sim card, tried the callibration, and nothing seems to make the screen rotation work (nothing rotates at all). I have been using the SuperNexus 2.0 ROM here lately, so I put it back on and the screen rotates just fine so I know it's not a problem with the phone. What boggles my mind is that I know the older nightly builds worked fine on my phone, so why would the newer ones have this bug?

Any advice?

razen_kain
Old
Thanks Meter 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by trperic View Post

After flashing many different kinds of ROMS I tried the newest nightly CM10.1 from 2/22/13.

Everything seems to work except the screen rotation. I have double checked all my settings, tried the callibration, and nothing seems to make the screen rotation work (nothing rotates at all). I have been using the SuperNexus 2.0 ROM here lately, so I put it back on and the screen rotates just fine so I know it's not a problem with the phone. What boggles my mind is that I know the older nightly builds worked fine on my phone, so why would the newer ones have this bug?

Any advice?
I never had that problem with it. I do remember though that there were two places in that Rom to turn screen rotation on and off and thinking it was rather strange. I just cannot remember where.
I suggest trying shostock3. Much better Rom and great support

Sent from my SGH-S959G

trperic
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by razen_kain View Post
I never had that problem with it. I do remember though that there were two places in that Rom to turn screen rotation on and off and thinking it was rather strange. I just cannot remember where.
I suggest trying shostock3. Much better Rom and great support

Sent from my SGH-S959G
Yeah I checked the settings in all the different screens. I have used ShoStock before, and I agree it's good. The older CM10.1 that was android 4.2.1 worked fine, but the only the newer ones in 4.2.2 don't seem to rotate. I guess it can be expected with a nightly build so I'm not complaining or anything. Right now I am stuck on the SuperNexus 2.0 ROM, it's Android 4.2.2 and works flawlessly. The only problem is that it isn't customizable at all. But, it definitely works as advertised, a vanilla Nexus 4 ROM.

mr-cook
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1534

Quote:

Everything seems to work except the screen rotation. I have double checked all my settings (launcher, accessibility, and display rotation settings), removed battery and sim card, tried the callibration, and nothing seems to make the screen rotation work (nothing rotates at all). I have been using the SuperNexus 2.0 ROM here lately, so I put it back on and the screen rotates just fine so I know it's not a problem with the phone. What boggles my mind is that I know the older nightly builds worked fine on my phone, so why would the newer ones have this bug?

Any advice?
It's just a bug in the newer builds. I'm sure it will be fixed soon.

Sent from my SGH-S959G
The Following User Says Thank You to mr-cook For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

campbellc1052
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Anyone else tried the Captivating ROM by Sephhi on this device yet? I flashed it and AJK1.6 and been running fine. I actually quite like it. I suggest you try it if you haven'. I haven't tried anything else to compare it to though.

EzSqueezeCheese
Old
Thanks Meter 91
How can straight talk tell if you tether? Using the tether feature on cm9.1 I tethered for a month everyday using like 3 gigs of data. However the one day I tether using an app they throttled me. Do they know? Or is it kinda a spontaneous thing?

mr-cook
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1534

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzSqueezeCheese View Post
How can straight talk tell if you tether? Using the tether feature on cm9.1 I tethered for a month everyday using like 3 gigs of data. However the one day I tether using an app they throttled me. Do they know? Or is it kinda a spontaneous thing?
I think you have a different ip address from the computer than just using the phone.

Sent from my SGH-S959G

SteveMurphy
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2105

Quote:

Any advice?
That's a 4.2.2 CM issue for sure, it's present in the Slimbean 4.2.2 being tested now and I've read about it on some other 4.2.2 ROMs.

That's part of the joys of dealing with nightlies; not everything works when you need it to.

Sent from the i777

EzSqueezeCheese
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-cook View Post
I think you have a different ip address from the computer than just using the phone.

Sent from my SGH-S959G
I only used it for gaming on my ps3 though.