Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Potential Security Issue with S-Memo and JB

OP graffixnyc

10th November 2012, 04:00 PM   |  #1  
OP Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 5,515

5,857 posts
Donate to Me
More
I was poking around my GS3 today (ATT version but running the Sprint Official JB release LJ7) and I found something pretty shocking. I was poking around the S-memo databases when I opened a table using SQLIte editior. When I opened the table I was shocked to see my Google account username and password in clear plain text. Now, I did have the option to sync to Google drive and the app did prompt for my google username and password so obviously it stores it somewhere. I was just shocked to see it stored in plain text and not encrypted.

I know someone who checked his ATT GS3 running ICS and he did not have these entries in his DB which makes me think it's a JB thing.

To check you need to be rooted and have SQLite editor installed.

Steps to check
1. Set up S-Memo to sync with your Google account
2. Use SQLite editor and navigate to /data/data/com.sec.android.provider.smemo/databases
3. Open the Pen_memo.db file and select the CommonSettings table. Look to see if your Google account info is stored in plain text.

This could potentially be a serious issue. If people running JB on their GS3 can check this that would be awesome. Someone already checked the latest ICS build for the ATT variant but if others on ICS or with a different variant can check that would be great. I will get to check my GF's I-9300 running JB tomorrow when I see her.

Also I'm not sure how app permissions work on android, meaning if one app could access the data/database of another app(without root, because obviously with root another app can, in this case SQLite opened the file). Since the DB is in the /data partition and the permissions are r/w by default I'm thinking it wouldn't be difficult for a malicious non root app to access this database and query it for the information unless there is something built into android that wont allow that.

I have attached a SS of what my table looked like. Obviously I blacked out my PW and also the Google auth ID

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to graffixnyc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th November 2012, 08:13 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag San Francisco, CA
Thanks Meter: 619

1,562 posts
Donate to Me
More
Actually, while /data is available for you to browse, that is because you have root. It's RW but only within the packages that each app is sandboxed. If you disable root you will not be able to view that database.

It is possible for the same developer to access the /data files of another one of their apps if they use the same namespace.

So, while this is indeed a risk, it would not be trivial for another app to gain access without asking for root or cracking root itself.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ViViDboarder For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th November 2012, 08:29 PM   |  #3  
OP Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 5,515

5,857 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViViDboarder

Actually, while /data is available for you to browse, that is because you have root. It's RW but only within the packages that each app is sandboxed. If you disable root you will not be able to view that database.

It is possible for the same developer to access the /data files of another one of their apps if they use the same namespace.

So, while this is indeed a risk, it would not be trivial for another app to gain access without asking for root or cracking root itself.

Ahh OK. Yeah I wasn't sure if another app would be able or not. Ive never not been rooted so I wasnt 100% sure about that. So I guess this issue would just concern root users. I still think though the data should have been encrypted before the record was inserted. It did kinda freak me out to open that table and see my google password staring at me.
10th November 2012, 08:33 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
I don't use S-Memo much but thanks for the heads up.
10th November 2012, 11:45 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 235

735 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViViDboarder

There are on Play and on the net "free apps" which needs root access to work. Once you grant access to any of them those can get your info and sent it to anyplace.

Sent from my O=O
12th November 2012, 07:13 AM   |  #6  
Flag Gold Coast
Thanks Meter: 466

949 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmasn

There are on Play and on the net "free apps" which needs root access to work. Once you grant access to any of them those can get your info and sent it to anyplace.

Sent from my O=O

Agreed but that is why you should be checking carefully what root apps are doing. Also not just willy-nilly granting Superuser permissions. Half of XDA would be at risk cause they see the SuperUser popup and most of the time just press grant not ever thinking 'What does that mean?' yes they want to test an app, but FFS check what it wants to do. That is the screen that pops up (another one people ignore - yes I am guilty of it my self sometimes thinking nothing has changed between one version to the next) just as you are installing the app. If it is wanting to do things in areas you don't want it to be then don't install it and confront the developer about it.

In this case you can't really confront Samsung devs about this, but the thing is we know what it is for, and secondly your not installing it comes pre-installed. But you get my point. I doubt that the Samsung devs have malicious intensions, where as other developers that your are granting SuperUser permissions to...who knows?
12th November 2012, 08:53 AM   |  #7  
Forum Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Taco Vendor
Flag Sequim WA
Thanks Meter: 8,715

4,049 posts
Donate to Me
More
Yikes! Good news, this is not as bad as it seems. The data is not accessible without root.

Once an app has root, it is all over. You have to trust the app to use it wisely (trust me a lot of root apps are unsafe). With this kind of issue, it is probably safer to notify the OEM before publishing, allowing them time to fix it. This is exactly why I am not one to run root apps without a review of them myself.

I took the liberty to forward this on to those that can get it fixed. Nice find.
12th November 2012, 12:30 PM   |  #8  
Developer Admin / Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 11,264

19,383 posts
More
This should probably use a token-based authentication system, rather than the ACTUAL google account username and password...

Still not brilliant for security, but at least it's not your ACTUAL password in plaintext...
The Following User Says Thank You to pulser_g2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th November 2012, 02:36 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 235

735 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmezrocks

Agreed but that is why you should be checking carefully what root apps are doing. Also not just willy-nilly granting Superuser permissions. Half of XDA would be at risk cause they see the SuperUser popup and most of the time just press grant not ever thinking 'What does that mean?' yes they want to test an app, but FFS check what it wants to do. That is the screen that pops up (another one people ignore - yes I am guilty of it my self sometimes thinking nothing has changed between one version to the next) just as you are installing the app. If it is wanting to do things in areas you don't want it to be then don't install it and confront the developer about it.

In this case you can't really confront Samsung devs about this, but the thing is we know what it is for, and secondly your not installing it comes pre-installed. But you get my point. I doubt that the Samsung devs have malicious intensions, where as other developers that your are granting SuperUser permissions to...who knows?

Agreed with you.

But about Google's Devs, because it's a Google's flaw. Encryption is old enough, so they can implement it.

Sent from my O=O
13th November 2012, 12:11 AM   |  #10  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 830

470 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by graffixnyc

I was just shocked to see it stored in plain text and not encrypted.

Suppose they were to encrypt it, where would they store the decryption key?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread