[Guide] Restore you phone to factory by Samsung Kies. Works on most Samsung units.

Search This thread

norbarb

Account currently disabled
Dec 22, 2011
I see a lot of post asking :"How to restore phone to factory ?".I always do this way after i backup all i need and important data from my phone.

I use Samsung Kies. They can be find HERE
1. Start Kies
2.Click Tools-> Firmware upgrade and initilazation
3.Type in model of your phone for example AT&T is : SGH-I747 ( all in capital letters) click OK. In some cases letter after number can be small. In example for Samsung Galaxy S3 Rogers you can try SGH-I747m.
4.Then type serial number off the stcker under battery also in capital letters click OK
5.There will be info about firmware click OK
6.Info about software version. Put your phone in download mode by pressing volume down key, home button and power button then connect to PC using orginal USB cable, click OK
7. Follow info on screen.
8. Phone will reboot by itself when all is done correctly.
Enjoy virgin phone llike from store. In some cases you will need to do OTA upgrade after all of this.

Good luck

EDIT: I notice that sometimes you don't have to put phone in to download mode at all. Just connect and do step 2.

EDIT2 : If you update to 4.3 by OTA or if you install 4.3 bootloader on ATT S3 (I747) DO NOT USE THIS METOD. You will brick your phone.

Last edited:

Unhived__Mind

Sep 11, 2012
Good write up! Looks straightforward enough but you never with all the strange cats here :D:thumbup:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

krips2003

Sep 27, 2009
Louisville
I see lot of post asking how to restore phone to factory .I always do this way after i backup all i need and important data from my phone.

Use Samsung Kies:
1. Start Kies
3.Write model of your phone in example AT&T is : SGH-I747 ( all in capitals letters) click OK
4.From behind of battery serial in capitol letters click OK
6.Info about software version. Put your phone in download mode and connect to PC using orginal USB click OK
8. After all will done phone will reboot.
Enjoy virgin phone llike from store. In some cases you will need to do OTA upgrade after all of this.

Good luck

For step 4 you can get the serial number without removing the battery. Go to:
Settings->About device->Status. Then scroll down to view your phone's serial number.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

ladd76

Nov 10, 2012
Stonyford, CA
Error

I see lot of post asking how to restore phone to factory .I always do this way after i backup all i need and important data from my phone.

Use Samsung Kies:
1. Start Kies
3.Write model of your phone in example AT&T is : SGH-I747 ( all in capitals letters) click OK
6.Info about software version. Put your phone in download mode and connect to PC using orginal USB click OK

Good luck

After step 2. I get the following pop up window "'SGH-I747' does not support initializing." Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

After step 2. I get the following pop up window "'SGH-I747' does not support initializing." Any ideas?

Ok l2read instructions hehe I had phone plugged in before I should have... this time got to step 4 and it keeps telling me to recheck serial#. I've put it in several times no dice.... keeps asking me to recheck, weird

Reactions: milkywhite

norbarb

Dec 22, 2011
Make sure letters are in capitol. From what provider you have your phone? Turn on phone and check serial in settings->about device->status
Also check model in about device

Last edited:

ladd76

Nov 10, 2012
Stonyford, CA
weird

Make sure letters are in capitol. From what provider you have your phone? Turn on phone and check serial in settings->about device->status

I quadroople checked my model name "SGH-I747" and serial# (from about device>status and behind the battery) and still getting that stupid error. I wonder if it does a check with Samsung on device registration? I know I registered it but I will be giving them a call regardless to see what the problem is with Kies/Serial# issue. Thanks for your help!

cc999

Aug 4, 2011
SD card

Use Samsung Kies:
1. Start Kies

Good luck

This will not affect the SD card correct?

CC

norbarb

Dec 22, 2011
I quadroople checked my model name "SGH-I747" and serial# (from about device>status and behind the battery) and still getting that stupid error. I wonder if it does a check with Samsung on device registration? I know I registered it but I will be giving them a call regardless to see what the problem is with Kies/Serial# issue. Thanks for your help!
Do you use original usb cable? Did you also check with different PC?

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: sgood1971

mph122074

Oct 9, 2010
Sherman, TX
So this seems to be working.

Note: You do have to use the serial number from under the battery. Some custom ROMs have a false SN in the about menu.

I am almost done with all the steps.

1 more note. Keep in mind that this method will inform Samsung of your custom rooting. Like it or not it does. I dont mind, but some might.

Thanks for the write up.

Mike

Reactions: twanskys204

norbarb

Dec 22, 2011
So this seems to be working.

Note: You do have to use the serial number from under the battery. Some custom ROMs have a false SN in the about menu.

I am almost done with all the steps.

1 more note. Keep in mind that this method will inform Samsung of your custom rooting. Like it or not it does. I dont mind, but some might.

Thanks for the write up.

Mike

Will not inform samsung if you only rooted and on orginal binary. You can check this if you are in download mode what binary are you on.

Last edited:
Reactions: sgood1971

garydv2002

Feb 14, 2012
How about a link to the kies for this phone. Since Samsung has to have so many different versions out... maybe add it to the op just a suggestion

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: norbarb

Uncle Irish

Nov 23, 2009

norbarb

Dec 22, 2011
How about a link to the kies for this phone. Since Samsung has to have so many different versions out... maybe add it to the op just a suggestion

Ok. I will. This is great idea. OP is updated

Last edited:
Reactions: garydv2002

garydv2002

Feb 14, 2012
Ok. I will. This is great idea. OP is updated

Thanks. It was just a idea that thought about to make it easier for noobs to find the right kies.. and some of us that are not noobs too lol...

norbarb

Dec 22, 2011
I hadn't even gotten to step 6 to attach my cable... Kies doesn't recognize my serial number as valid it appears... time to call Samsung I guess

I guess it is time to call samsung. It must be something wrong.

You can check again. Letters behind battery are so small sometimes you mistaken 'O' for '0' or 'D' evan check 'B' and '8' you know what i mean.

Just reminder all CAPITAL letters.. :)

Reactions: ladd76

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I see a lot of post asking :"How to restore phone to factory ?".I always do this way after i backup all i need and important data from my phone.

I use Samsung Kies. They can be find HERE
    1. Start Kies
    3.Type in model of your phone for example AT&T is : SGH-I747 ( all in capital letters) click OK. In some cases letter after number can be small. In example for Samsung Galaxy S3 Rogers you can try SGH-I747m.
    4.Then type serial number off the stcker under battery also in capital letters click OK
    6.Info about software version. Put your phone in download mode by pressing volume down key, home button and power button then connect to PC using orginal USB cable, click OK
    8. Phone will reboot by itself when all is done correctly.

Good luck

EDIT: I notice that sometimes you don't have to put phone in to download mode at all. Just connect and do step 2.

EDIT2 : If you update to 4.3 by OTA or if you install 4.3 bootloader on ATT S3 (I747) DO NOT USE THIS METOD. You will brick your phone.
    Is this advisable for rooted phones?

Yes it should work on rooted phones but you loose root.

Anyone knows if i restore my phone to factory, it will gsm lock again?
    because i had to pay 20 bucks for the unlock code and i dont want to pay them again :p.

No. Once you unlock your sim card lock you will never lock again.

Use Samsung Kies:
    1. Start Kies

Good luck

For step 4 you can get the serial number without removing the battery. Go to:
    Settings->About device->Status. Then scroll down to view your phone's serial number.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

http://www.samsungapps.com/mars/about/onPc.as?COUNTRY_CODE=USA&_isAppsDep=Y

I believe its universal now. This version works on Captivate, Infuse, Skyrocket, Note, and S3 that I've worked with