Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,823 Members 42,614 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] Restore you phone to factory by Samsung Kies. Works on most Samsung units.

Tip us?

norbarb
Old
(Last edited by norbarb; 10th April 2014 at 01:06 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 724

DONATE TO ME
Default [Guide] Restore you phone to factory by Samsung Kies. Works on most Samsung units.

I see a lot of post asking :"How to restore phone to factory ?".I always do this way after i backup all i need and important data from my phone.

I use Samsung Kies. They can be find HERE
1. Start Kies
2.Click Tools-> Firmware upgrade and initilazation
3.Type in model of your phone for example AT&T is : SGH-I747 ( all in capital letters) click OK. In some cases letter after number can be small. In example for Samsung Galaxy S3 Rogers you can try SGH-I747m.
4.Then type serial number off the stcker under battery also in capital letters click OK
5.There will be info about firmware click OK
6.Info about software version. Put your phone in download mode by pressing volume down key, home button and power button then connect to PC using orginal USB cable, click OK
7. Follow info on screen.
8. Phone will reboot by itself when all is done correctly.
Enjoy virgin phone llike from store. In some cases you will need to do OTA upgrade after all of this.

Good luck

EDIT: I notice that sometimes you don't have to put phone in to download mode at all. Just connect and do step 2.

EDIT2 : If you update to 4.3 by OTA or if you install 4.3 bootloader on ATT S3 (I747) DO NOT USE THIS METOD. You will brick your phone.
The Following 56 Users Say Thank You to norbarb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Unhived__Mind
Old
(Last edited by Unhived__Mind; 11th November 2012 at 05:56 AM.)
Thanks Meter 114
Good write up! Looks straightforward enough but you never with all the strange cats here :thumbup:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

rayoubi
Old
Thanks Meter 21
you cant do this if your ROMed right?
Currently: Galaxy Note II
ROM: CleanROM ATT SE 1.2 By ~scrosler

Phones I used in the past:
Samsung captivate > Samsung galaxy note > samsung galaxy nexus > HTC one X > Galaxy S III > ~Now using the Galaxy note 2 baby!

norbarb
Old
(Last edited by norbarb; 11th November 2012 at 03:35 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 724

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayoubi View Post
you cant do this if your ROMed right?
You can do this as long as you can get to download mode. Don't need to download any rom, patches etc. Kies will do this for you as long as you type correct model number and serial in window box when asked.
The Following User Says Thank You to norbarb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

krips2003
Old
Thanks Meter 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbarb View Post
I see lot of post asking how to restore phone to factory .I always do this way after i backup all i need and important data from my phone.

Use Samsung Kies:
1. Start Kies
3.Write model of your phone in example AT&T is : SGH-I747 ( all in capitals letters) click OK
4.From behind of battery serial in capitol letters click OK
6.Info about software version. Put your phone in download mode and connect to PC using orginal USB click OK
8. After all will done phone will reboot.
Enjoy virgin phone llike from store. In some cases you will need to do OTA upgrade after all of this.

Good luck
For step 4 you can get the serial number without removing the battery. Go to:
Settings->About device->Status. Then scroll down to view your phone's serial number.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIV 32GB Black Mist i337 (Running stock)
Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
Tablet: Samsung Tab 10.1 (Stock and rooted) and Nexus 7 running pure stock

The Following User Says Thank You to krips2003 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ladd76
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default Error

Quote:
I see lot of post asking how to restore phone to factory .I always do this way after i backup all i need and important data from my phone.

Use Samsung Kies:
1. Start Kies
3.Write model of your phone in example AT&T is : SGH-I747 ( all in capitals letters) click OK
6.Info about software version. Put your phone in download mode and connect to PC using orginal USB click OK

Good luck
After step 2. I get the following pop up window "'SGH-I747' does not support initializing." Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladd76 View Post
After step 2. I get the following pop up window "'SGH-I747' does not support initializing." Any ideas?
Ok l2read instructions hehe I had phone plugged in before I should have... this time got to step 4 and it keeps telling me to recheck serial#. I've put it in several times no dice.... keeps asking me to recheck, weird
The Following User Says Thank You to ladd76 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

norbarb
Old
(Last edited by norbarb; 11th November 2012 at 10:17 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 724

DONATE TO ME
Make sure letters are in capitol. From what provider you have your phone? Turn on phone and check serial in settings->about device->status
Also check model in about device
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norbarb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ladd76
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default weird

Quote:
Make sure letters are in capitol. From what provider you have your phone? Turn on phone and check serial in settings->about device->status
Also check model in about device
I quadroople checked my model name "SGH-I747" and serial# (from about device>status and behind the battery) and still getting that stupid error. I wonder if it does a check with Samsung on device registration? I know I registered it but I will be giving them a call regardless to see what the problem is with Kies/Serial# issue. Thanks for your help!

HiKsFiles
Old
Thanks Meter 160

DONATE TO ME
Cool, thanks for sharing!

This will most probably be how I will upgrade to Jelly Bean
Samsung Galaxy S3 i747m 32Gb + 64Gb ext. SD
Stock TW Kit Kat 4.4.2 + root + Xposed + Wanam
Daily driver phone
Samsung Galaxy S i9000m 16Gb + 16Gb ext. SD
Slim Kat & Semaphore JB kernel
Backup & flash addiction relief phone

cc999
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Default SD card

Quote:

Use Samsung Kies:
1. Start Kies

Good luck
This will not affect the SD card correct?

CC