Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,909 Members 50,429 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Permanently hide Navigation Bar on Nexus 7

Tip us?

lesdense
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Default Permanently hide Navigation Bar on Nexus 7

I wanted the greatest amount of usable screen "real estate" on my Nexus 7 so I looked for ways to hide the black Navigation Bar that spans the bottom of the display. My launcher of choice, GO Launcher EX, has an option to hide it but that didn't work. There are apps that supposedly hide it but either they only hide it until you return to your home screen or they hide it but leave thick unusable black gaps at the bottom and the top of the display. I use Button Savior for my navigation so I just wanted the Navigation Bar GONE.

I read that, on other devices, adding the line "qemu.hw.mainkeys=1" to the build.prop file under /system would do it but I added the line and it did nothing. Then -- since I was just beginning to customize a newly rooted Nexus 7 (32GB, in case that matters) I scrubbed EVERYTHING and took it back to stock, then rooted it with WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit (Version 1.5.5). Next I entered my sign-in data and installed Root Explorer from Google Play (so I could edit system files). Then -- before I did anything else to the tablet, I again added "qemu.hw.mainkeys=1" to the end of build.prop in /system. It worked! The Navigation Bar disappeared and has not reappeared no matter what I've done (reboot, add apps, customize, etc). Better yet, my wallpaper image instantly resized to fill the screen space I'd recaptured. My rows of icons adjust to fill and use the space and no black bars are left anywhere on screen.

It seems unlikely that I'm the first to discover that this works with the Nexus 7 since I'm not a very sophisticated user but in case this adds value to the XDA forum, which I use and very much appreciate, here it is.
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to lesdense For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

player911
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 900

DONATE TO ME
Good find. First I heard of this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
LG G2 - Modded Stock
Nexus 7 FHD - Jelly Bean 4.4.2 [CM Kang Banged]
HTC Touch Pro►HTC Touch Diamond 2►Nexus One►LG G2x►HTC Rezound►Galaxy NexusLG G2!
iPad►iPad2►Asus TransformerGalaxy Tab 7 [CM10]Nook►Nook TabletNexus 7Nexus 7 FHD!

[Site Owner] MiiWiiChat.com - Free Chat for your Wii
[Site Owner] SnapSite Admins.com - Free Custom Website

Like what I do? - Donations welcome or hit the Thanks button!

Frostfree
Old
Thanks Meter 29
So how do you navigate without the on-screen buttons?

nba1341
Old
Thanks Meter 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostfree View Post
So how do you navigate without the on-screen buttons?
Same question.
Nexus 7 (2013) 16GB: 4.3 rooted
T-Mobile Galaxy S4 16GB: CM 10.2
T-Mobile Note 3 32GB: Stock rooted

lesdense
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
I use Button Savior. There are other "soft key" solutions as well. I have Button Savior set to never "auto hide" so it's always available (it can always be manually popped in and out). I've got it placed just above the keyboard so it's never in my way when typing. I have it set to semi-transparent so I can always see it but also always see through it. The beauty of soft key solutions is that they take up NO screen real estate and, at least in the case of Button Savior, you can place them exactly where you want them so that you never have to move your hand to navigate your screen. Button Savior needs to be on a rooted device to work properly but you have to be rooted to do this procedure anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to lesdense For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

WatchGintama
Old
Thanks Meter 3
You should try Gmd Gesture control. It lets you make custom gestures for actions. Pinch four fingers to go home for example.

It also has the option to hide notification bar and a gesture to toggle it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

lesdense
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Default Nexus 7 screen with no Nav Bar with Button Savior

I'm sure there's better ways to illustrate this but here's a blank home page with a bland wallpaper to illustrate what the space on my screen looks like. No Navigation Bar. No Dock either (I use a few icons and a few folders of icons). I like the Status Bar across the top although I could eliminate that too. That's Button Savior on the left-hand side (I'm left-handed). Soft key solutions were popularized in the CM7/Nook Color days since the Nook only had one hard button, a home key.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nexus 7 screen.jpg
Views:	4712
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	1474787  

chdloc
Old
Thanks Meter 22
+1 on GMD Gesture Control. Not cheap ($5), but worth every penny.

jonnyg1097
Old
Thanks Meter 119
This is a pretty interesting idea. I might do this with my N7 or Gnexus also

kieso
Old
Thanks Meter 90
Let us know if it causes any problems with installing Gameloft, EA, or any other games

The Following User Says Thank You to kieso For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
button savior, navigation bar, nexus 7