Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,213 Members 40,175 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[All XDA Members] Feedback/Recommendations for XDA

Tip us?

K.A.
Old
(Last edited by K.A.; 16th February 2013 at 08:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApriliaM3 View Post
TBH, I don't see a lot wrong with what you've quoted above but more than that, I'm really struggling to care less.
In fact, I find the signature in Post 3 to be more obnoxious but maybe that's just a matter of taste.
In any case, I don't see the need to single out a specific user and make derogatory comments about him / her in a public forum.
I see from your post, that you appear to have thought long and hard about whether to post your comment or not... I would have chosen the latter.
There are quite a few large and obnoxious signatures that I've come across on XDA during my time here...
The ones I used to have to suffer on a daily basis, I no longer see thanks to AdBlock
Erm...Demanding a thanks from the person before saying that he is allowed to download the ROM doesn't look like a wrong thing to you?
I really wouldn't like a dev telling me to thank him first before he gives me the download link further down the post. Agreed it can just be ignored, but it shouldn't be like that..
Samsung Galaxy Ace. CM10.1 | Google Nexus 4. KitKat TIME!!

[OT][SUPPORT]DESKTOPS AND LAPTOPS AIO THREAD.[General Off-Topic]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to K.A. For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ApriliaM3
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 13455
Quote:
Originally Posted by King ACE View Post
Erm...Demanding a thanks from the person before saying that he is allowed to download the ROM doesn't look like a wrong thing to you?
I really wouldn't like a dev telling me to thank him first before he gives me the download link further down the post. Agreed it can just be ignored, but it shouldn't be like that..
Absolutely I agree with you on that... In fact I noticed a similar scenario just this past week from a member here on XDA.
He was also refusing to release an update unless people rated his thread with 5 stars!
Unfortunately for him, it had the complete opposite affect from what he was hoping to achieve... and rightly so.
The entire thinking behind this sort of behavior goes completely against what I've always thought XDA stands for.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ApriliaM3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

K.A.
Old
Thanks Meter 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApriliaM3 View Post
Absolutely I agree with you on that... In fact I noticed a similar scenario just this past week from a member here on XDA.
He was also refusing to release an update unless people rated his thread with 5 stars!
Unfortunately for him, it had the complete opposite affect from what he was hoping to achieve... and rightly so.
The entire thinking behind this sort of behavior goes completely against what I've always thought XDA stands for.
Woah, that's plain idiocy.
IMO, regarding the huge thank me banners and sigs, I think the user should be warned twice about it and if it happens the third time, thanking the user should be disabled.
Samsung Galaxy Ace. CM10.1 | Google Nexus 4. KitKat TIME!!

[OT][SUPPORT]DESKTOPS AND LAPTOPS AIO THREAD.[General Off-Topic]

ApriliaM3
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 13455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riro Zizo View Post
I just want some info, i'm not complaining or anything:
i applied for an RC, almost a year ago, the reply was a denial because of an infraction that was going... i understand that.
my infraction ended on 13 (maybe 12) February, this year... so i reapplied, and the mod regected me saying that my infraction expires on march, and i can reapply 3 months after that...
why that rule? the infraction was a simple misunderstanding, and it expired 3-4 days ago, so why do i have to wait those 3 months now?
You should probably view it as if you have served your sentence and now you're out on parole for the next 3 months

The Following User Says Thank You to ApriliaM3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jebuchanan
Old
(Last edited by jebuchanan; 16th February 2013 at 12:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 806
Default Re: [All XDA Members] Feedback/Recommendations for XDA

With respect to the thanks, that is so abused these days, and Imo, worthless at present. I have seen members get several thanks just for Coming on and saying hello (this is over simplified, but true). I don't mind any system when it is used correctly, but some of the abuse of various counters on here is crazy.
I like the idea of a time period for Senior level, and perhaps a minimum post/thanks level, but I see that too getting abused.
I also think the thanks system should not publicly display the names of those who give thanks.
With respect to the apps, try quickly scrolling past a hundred of these. Can't. I have to pause a moment for the (complete) post to DL so I can slowly scroll past them. Displaying total post thanks would be sufficient without seeing the names (usually the same ones over and over).

Sent from my Samsung GT-i9100M
ROM NeatRom Lite 4.3 XWLSD
Kernel Philz 4.35 XWLSD
Mods:
23 toggles blue w/rt clock
Automatic Call Recorder
NeatRom Boot Animation
Multiwindow fix
AdvanceS fix

electricsheepdreamer
Old
Thanks Meter 26926

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebuchanan View Post
With respect to the thanks, that is so abused these days, and Imo, worthless at present. I have seen members get several thanks just for Coming on and saying hello (this is over simplified, but true). I don't mind any system when it is used correctly, but some of the abuse of various counters on here is crazy.
I like the idea of a time period for Senior level, and perhaps a minimum post/thanks level, but I see that too getting abused.
I also think the thanks system should not publicly display the names of those who give thanks.
With respect to the apps, try quickly scrolling past a hundred of these. Can't. I have to pause a moment for the (complete) post to DL so I can slowly scroll past them. Displaying total post thanks would be sufficient without seeing the names (usually the same ones over and over).
Well, IMHO, this is oversimplified but true.
Anything can be abused or used. The browser view, report button, signatures, you name it.
So let's use it.

Section9
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsheepdreamer View Post
Well, IMHO, this is oversimplified but true.
Anything can be abused or used. The browser view, report button, signatures, you name it.
So let's use it.
Just to add on:

We all know how people tend to gyrate towards the wrong end of the system when there are no specific rules about it. I have been here since I got my first PPC phone and stayed away from the chaos.

XDA was strictly a "do your search before asking any question noob!" zone and any repeated questions were shot down with "read the op" which is quite daunting.

The only community that I gravitate towards is NeatRom thread whose members are patient and willing to answer most questions, even though they are repetitive. I think the success of that community relies on the kindness and goodwill of all it's members and it's developer, which I feel, is the right direction to proceed in.

Unless XDA would like to become a puritan state strictly for developers, if not, a little kindness goes a long way.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Section9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jugg1es
Old
Thanks Meter 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section9 View Post
Just to add on:

We all know how people tend to gyrate towards the wrong end of the system when there are no specific rules about it. I have been here since I got my first PPC phone and stayed away from the chaos.

XDA was strictly a "do your search before asking any question noob!" zone and any repeated questions were shot down with "read the op" which is quite daunting.

The only community that I gravitate towards is NeatRom thread whose members are patient and willing to answer most questions, even though they are repetitive. I think the success of that community relies on the kindness and goodwill of all it's members and it's developer, which I feel, is the right direction to proceed in.

Unless XDA would like to become a puritan state strictly for developers, if not, a little kindness goes a long way.
This same sense of community was something i found in the htc Desire s forum when i first signed up. And that still exists, i think it's there in a lot of the devices its just with the influx of new users it tends to get a little lost.

We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
—Aristotle

Please don't pm me with support questions
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jugg1es For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

prototype7
Old
Thanks Meter 1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugg1es View Post
This same sense of community was something i found in the htc Desire s forum when i first signed up. And that still exists, i think it's there in a lot of the devices its just with the influx of new users it tends to get a little lost.

We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
—Aristotle
It's really all about the general attitude of the members and the atmosphere of the community. If the precedent is set that repeated questions = bad and those that ask them are idiots, then anyone joining and hanging around for a while will gladly join in on the noob bashing. If people are generally helpful and patient with people who might ask a repeat question as long as they're reasonably polite, then new members will mostly follow that when they gain more experience, and it would be the noob bashers that are looked down on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Signature by ThePhantom97
My PM box is not for tech support. If you have a question, post in the appropriate thread or create one in Q&A, you'll get an answer much faster.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to prototype7 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fallen Spartan
Old
Moderator Committee - Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy - OP
Thanks Meter 4301
Location: Belfast, Ireland Likes: Whiskey & XDA Dislikes: No whiskey

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype7 View Post
It's really all about the general attitude of the members and the atmosphere of the community. If the precedent is set that repeated questions = bad and those that ask them are idiots, then anyone joining and hanging around for a while will gladly join in on the noob bashing. If people are generally helpful and patient with people who might ask a repeat question as long as they're reasonably polite, then new members will mostly follow that when they gain more experience, and it would be the noob bashers that are looked down on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
100% agreed. Put it this way, I always try to treat those as I would like to be treated. If you treat people with respect, in turn they should hopefully treat you with respect. If you behave like an a$$, don't expect others to do you any favours
If I have helped you, support Parkinson's
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.” ~ John Lennon

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fallen Spartan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]