Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,673 Members 41,051 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[REF] Your One-Stop Shop for the Note II (Kernels, Roms, Guides, Modems, Etc.)

Tip us?

mjwhirly
Old
Thanks Meter 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetboy02125 View Post
Do we have CWM for this baby yet?

★♡★ Galaxy Note II ★♡★
Yeah cmw is available for our phones, I will put it in the OP later tonight....unfortunately I have school at nights so im not able to do it now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium
Current: AT&T Galaxy Note II---Jedi X-17
Nexus 7 (2013) UnOfficial AOKP
LG G2---Stock at the moment
Thank me if I helped you!
The Following User Says Thank You to mjwhirly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kiwinadians
Old
(Last edited by Kiwinadians; 13th November 2012 at 06:17 AM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Excellent reference. I was just thinking about the need for this today. Glad you beat me to it.

I know sammobile and samsung-updates are monitoring for Rogers updates, but I'm not sure if any of the Bell or Telus customers have posted them their info. Not that they would have anything different in their updates except bloatware.

I'm wondering if there should be an APN list page, with the APNs of our various carriers for flashing another carrier's rom? Any roms release should be cross compatible with AT&T, Rogers (Including subsidiary networks Fido, Virgin, 7-11 Speakout, Petro-Canada Mobility), and Bell & Telus (ICE Wireless, etc.).

I've seen elsewhere that they refer to 'Canadian Note II' users collectively, but it should be noted that Wind, Sasktel (I believe, although they also have LTE?), MTS, Mobilicity, and probably a few other carriers would be using T-Mobile Roms and radios as they run on an AWS HSPA+ system as opposed to LTE. This might be a caveat that could be added to save any possible bricks. (This could otherwise be solved by using model numbers instead of networks... i317/m)

Cheers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiwinadians For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

garyd9
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1963
Post reported

(to ask that it's stickied)

Donations: I don't accept donations, but if you are feeling charitable, help a child by going to http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/
and click the "Donate Now" link at the top.

nacos
Old
(Last edited by nacos; 13th November 2012 at 05:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 139
Default This version of CWM causes serious memory leaks!!!

Quote:
Section 4: Recoveries

CWM Recovery (Direct Link)....thanks to the CWM team!
There is definitely something wrong with this version of CWM Recovery - it seems to be causing serious memory leaks!!!!
Before making the first backup, I would start with about 500MB of RAM right after reboot and assuming that nothing else would be loaded it would stay around that value indefinitely. As soon as I have saved the first backup on the external SD, using this version of CWM, although NOTHING has changed, I would start with around 780-800MB of RAM loaded right after a reboot.

Steps to confirm the issue:
1. If I move the micro SD card into my other phone, SG3, the symptoms are the same.
2. When the SD is removed, either from SG3 or Note II, the RAM loaded after a reboot comes back to 500-530MB. After experimenting with the card between SG3 and Note II and confirming the bug,
3. I have flashed the TWRP 2.3.1.2 on Note II using GooManager, I have made another backup with TWRP, then I have deleted the CWM backup folder and ALL CAME BACK TO NORMAL - go figure!!.

garyd9
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacos View Post
There is definitely something wrong with this version of CWM Recovery - it seems to be causing serious memory leaks!!!!
I think this might be slightly off topic for this thread (so won't be surprised if my message and the one I'm replying to get moved/deleted), but...

That's simply not possible. CWM Recovery (and TWRP) aren't applications that run within android. Think of a dual-boot windows machine... one operating system is completely independent of the other. That's how recovery works on modern android devices. "recovery" is actually a different OS boot. Even the kernel is different in recovery. Recovery is a completely separate boot partition. In fact, when you boot normally, the recovery partition is completely ignored - it's just an unused device in the devfs.

Donations: I don't accept donations, but if you are feeling charitable, help a child by going to http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/
The Following User Says Thank You to garyd9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nacos
Old
(Last edited by nacos; 13th November 2012 at 06:15 PM.)
Thanks Meter 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post
That's simply not possible. CWM Recovery (and TWRP) aren't applications that run within android. Think of a dual-boot windows machine... one operating system is completely independent of the other. That's how recovery works on modern android devices. "recovery" is actually a different OS boot. Even the kernel is different in recovery. Recovery is a completely separate boot partition. In fact, when you boot normally, the recovery partition is completely ignored - it's just an unused device in the devfs.
While I agree with you, everything that I have previously described DID HAPPEN. Was everything just a coincidence? How come that the logic just functioned and the issue was addressed and solved? Personally I suspect that the culprit is not in the backup process itself (that's where I completely agree with you) but in the backup folder, namely the "blobs" folder - to which Android DOES have access under normal operation.

garyd9
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacos View Post
While I agree with you, everything that I have previously described DID HAPPEN. Was everything just a coincidence? How come that the logic just functioned and the issue was addressed and solved? Personally I suspect that the culprit is not in the backup process itself (that's where I completely agree with you) but in the backup folder, namely the "blobs" folder - to which Android DOES have access under normal operation.
I'll give you my first suspicion:

First, understand that android reported free memory is a pretty meaningless thing. Both the kernel and android will take memory to cache things (file contents, write caches, app caches, etc) and won't free it until something else needs it. Windows does the same thing (with the filesystem - not with running apps.) (that's why "killing apps" in android is silly.)

Add in the media scanner which, on boot, scans the entire filesystem for media files. Sometimes, the CWM Recovery doesn't flag a folder to NOT be scanned by media scanner (.nomedia file) and/or media scanner scans it anyway.. which will use memory for the directory lists. That memory is only cache memory, and not actively used - but it doesn't show as "free" either (as it hasn't yet really been freed.)

(I didn't pay enough attention to your post to realize you had already done a backup with CWM when you saw this happen... sorry about that.)

The Following User Says Thank You to garyd9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sabesh
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwhirly View Post
APN

AT&T LTE (SGH-I317)
Name: ATT Phone
APN: Phone
MMSC: HTTP://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
APN type: default,mms,supl
APN protocol: IPv4
Enable/disable APN: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
For Rogers Wireless (Canada). Note: Rogers LTE is the one selected:

Name: Rogers LTE
APN: ltemobile.apn
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
User Name: not set
Password: Not Set
Server: Not Set
MMSC: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
MMS Proxy: 10.128.1.69
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 720
Authentication Type: None
APN Type: internet + mms
APN Protocol: IPv4

Name: LTE Tethering
APN: ltemobile.apn
User Name: not set
Password: Not Set
Server: Not Set
MMSC: Not Set
MMS Proxy: Not Set
MMS Port: Not Set
MNC: 720
APN Type: dun
The Following User Says Thank You to sabesh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

normaaaan
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Telus SGH-I317M (Canada)

Name: Telus SP
APN: sp.telus.com
User Name: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mmsc
MMS Proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS Port: 80
MNC: 220
APN Type: internet + mms

Name: Telus ISP
APN: isp.telus.com
User Name: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: Not set
MMS Proxy: Not set
MMS Port: Not set
MNC: 220
APN Type: dun

Thanks for putting the OP together!
Regular size: P935 stuck at Gingerbread
Large size: I317M stock due to Learning Hub
Super size: P7500R w/Galaxy R voice call mod.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to normaaaan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

skim32
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Is there a stock stock rom avaialble? One that is not rooted. I was wondering if there is a stock image in case I needed to ever return my phone or send it in for warranty service. It seems that everywhere I look, the only stock firmware to be found are pre-rooted.